Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hub Assembly

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Hub Assembly

Would it be wise to replace the front hub assemblies at 150xxx?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

No noises, no looseness means spend your $$$ elsewhere.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Ill probably replace them when I get tubular a-arms

Well, to me it's one of those things that fall under maintainance. After so many thousands of miles you can't help but wonder how those bearings are doing. Since they are sealed and non-servicable (thanks GM )

In any case,,,it's a judgement call really. Leave it till it breaks is a scary approach if you drive your car any distance. I would hate to have my car 2,000 miles away when a wheel bearing or some other wear/maintainance item decides to take a crap because I was to lazy or cheap to go over some things, especially when I require these cars to haul my family around and be safe.

Myself???? Personally at 150,000 miles I'd be putting a pair of them in for piece of mind.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I have mixed feelings on this. I'm really into preventative maintentance but I also don't like spending money on things just because they "might" break.

Anyone know how much they cost. If you could get a set for $150.00 - $200.00 I would do it. I'm sitting at 190,000 on both my birds and have not replaced them.

It has been on my mind as something that probably should be done. Both cars have had to have rear end bearings replaced and a shaft or two. I'm amazed the front have not had any issues at all.

While your down there probably a good time to replace tie rod ends, atleast the outer ones.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. I'm really into preventative maintentance but I also don't like spending money on things just because they "might" break.

Anyone know how much they cost. If you could get a set for $150.00 - $200.00 I would do it. I'm sitting at 190,000 on both my birds and have not replaced them.

It has been on my mind as something that probably should be done. Both cars have had to have rear end bearings replaced and a shaft or two. I'm amazed the front have not had any issues at all.

While your down there probably a good time to replace tie rod ends, atleast the outer ones.
    Just changed both of mine but only cause they needed it.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

How much where they?

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    How much where they?
    Paid 200 for both new took about 10 minutes each wheel. Very easy install

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

my mechanic said that my left front was bad, you say you paid 100 per. where did you get them and how hard where they to install any special tools involved

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I know it takes 4 bolts to get them off... looks like cake

NBM
    99 TA

good preventative maintenance, but usually those things will start to squeal when they are on their way out, and will howl like a bitch before they actually crap out.

if you do alot of highway driving, probably a good idea so you dont get stuck somewhere, but if you just boot around town... wait until they start to make noise.

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by rsg98Z28 View Post
    my mechanic said that my left front was bad, you say you paid 100 per. where did you get them and how hard where they to install any special tools involved
    got them off ebay no special tools but to make it faster I just took off the caliper brakcet first and slid everything off the rotor. Saved me alot of time. I will probably get bashed for that but it worked for me. There was no squealing I checked mine by jacking it up and trying to wobble it up and down. If it pops from left to right its a bad tie rod. up and down bad hub assembly.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Ive got both....unfortunately...

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Ive got both....unfortunately...
    so did I I went ahead and replace the inner and outer tie rod whle I was there

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

screw u the passanger one was so bad we had to get a hammer to get it out... it was rusted on... i'd do it!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well, to me it's one of those things that fall under maintainance. After so many thousands of miles you can't help but wonder how those bearings are doing. Since they are sealed and non-servicable (thanks GM )
    Personally I think the sealed hubs are much better than traditional wheel bearings ever were. I'd much rather have the hubs last the life of the vehicle, rather than pay $50 for a set of wheels bearings and seals every 50,000-80,000 miles as with a traditional wheel bearing setup. Not only that, but regular wheels bearings can be a real pain in the ass to install (especially 4WD vehicles), whereas these just bolt on with 4 bolts.

If you inspect the hubs, and they have no play in them and turn smootly without any noises, I see no reason to replace them. Its extremely unlikely that their condition would degrade fast enough to cause a breakdown, they wear out gradually.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Personally I think the sealed hubs are much better than traditional wheel bearings ever were. I'd much rather have the hubs last the life of the vehicle, rather than pay $50 for a set of wheels bearings and seals every 50,000-80,000 miles as with a traditional wheel bearing setup. Not only that, but regular wheels bearings can be a real pain in the ass to install (especially 4WD vehicles), whereas these just bolt on with 4 bolts.

If you inspect the hubs, and they have no play in them and turn smootly without any noises, I see no reason to replace them. Its extremely unlikely that their condition would degrade fast enough to cause a breakdown, they wear out gradually.
    I totally agree with all the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

I don't agree,,,if you're only getting 50-80,000 miles out of a traditional wheel bearing setup then someone isn't packing the bearings properly with grease and/or not setting the preload properly.

I have plenty of old cars out here that say otherwise

Not to mention much cheaper to repair if the time ever arrises. I just think people have gotten lazy over time.

As far as breaking down gradually??? Well I'll try telling the car that next time I'm 2,000 miles away from home,,,,LOL

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Allright, I meant that I agree with the no maintenance issue about sealed wheel bearings. The old school kind are a pain in the ass. And the sealed bearings usually give (in my experience as a mechanic) more warning before they fail. Customers come in long before total failure because of the noise. The old school bearings would come in on the wrecker a lot more often than the new style. And yeah, the old ones should last longer than 80k usually.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

This is a few weeks old, but I am in the process of finding a good set of these. I've bought auto zone bearings and they are JUNK! Napa has lifetime warranty on their bearings and their parts are usually better - only things is they want $240 each!

GM usually has a better part as well, being oem and whatnot, they are around the $200 each, but not warranty.

I can't wait to drop that kind of money...... I am worried that mine are worn from being old and sitting. My car came to me with only 28000 miles on it, so I am assuming it wasn't driven much. Sometimes the sitting can get to a car.

Thread Information