Thread: HP wanted

White

HP wanted

I am new to the world of the LS1 so here is my question. I just got a 2000 WS6 TA. The car is pretty much stock except for cats eliminated and has flow master exhaust. My goal is to put this car in the mid 7 second 1/8 mile. I am old school carb and points guy so all your help is appreciated. What would be the cheapest way to achieve this.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

That would be about a high 11 to low 12 second 1/4 mile if the conversion I utilized is correct. A cammed LS1 with full exhaust, gears and a tune will get you there. Our stock engine WS.6 runs 12.4's with full suspension, exhaust, track wheels, gears and a 3,200 stall. A word of caution though as the stock 10 bolt can die pretty quickly on a sticky track surface even with stock power.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Welcome. Mid 7 sec 1/8th mile isn't that hard. In fact, very easy with mild bolt on's and tune.

First you need to establish a budget. What you consider budget vs the rest of us can vary.

Cheapest way honestly is N20 and a 100 shot. But reliability and better for the engine life would be the following bolt on's:

LT headers, LS6 intake, Good tune with some suspension mods.

A4 (auto) - a decent stall convertor
    M6 (man) - for mild bolt on's = LS7 Clutch Kit, for serious tq/hp = monster clutch.

For serious bump in power a set of 243 heads and a good cam will really wake it up. But those take it from the "budget" to an "investment". There are some great cam/head packages out there. Just need to know what you want for recommendations. Stroker kits too. A 383 stroker is a mean car.

Now here's the what you need to know - like in Spiderman "great power comes a great need for suspension & rear end upgrades." Meaning if and when you get to the mid 400's it's not if but when you will break the rear. GM did us a great disservice by giving us a 10 bolt rear. 12 bolts or 9" is an almost necessary upgrade if you plan on anything more then a daily driver. You can get by for a while but if you are a M6, and have sticky tires on a hot day and do a hard launch you can easily blow the rear out.

Ask away there is quite a few of us in different stages of engine builds right now.

Click on the thread in my signature to see mine.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Go to the Texas Speed Shop website @ Texas Speed and Performance and make sure you have room on your visa card.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

These guys are right on the money. Mid 7's in the 1/8'th is high 11's 1/4 mile.

Nitrous is certainly the easy way, naturally aspirated isn't much harder. If it's an auto you'll definately need a converter, if it's a stick I'd recommend a nice clutch upgrade including the hydraulics.

From there a rear gear and a good set of tires, maybe some suspension tweaks. I'd prefer a better rearend entirely when looking at these ET goals.

On the engine....headers, LS6 intake, a mild camshaft and mild head package will probably get you there if the car 60 foots decently. Cam only cars can do it as well but requires a much more aggressive cam grind.

Thread Information