The Rookie

How or where? Porting the MAF.

I was wondering, is it worth it to port the MAF? If so, how hard is it? Or where can you have it done?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

check them out, they did it

Silver
    2002 Z28

dont do it. Doesnt really help and most cases will hurt without a good tune. Get a SLP or granitelli one and have it tuned would be the best bet if you really need it, but you dont, unless you are making 600 at the wheels

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hahaha I'm a dumbshit...I posted for a TB...thanks whoever removed it!
    As far as MAF's go...hell no...dont do shit to your stocker and never get an aftermarket MAF....when you exceed the frequencies of your Stock MAF go Speed Density.

The Rookie
    isn't speed density very temperature sensitive? Can this screw up the motor somehow? Can someone please educate me on this.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You engine adjust timing and fuel from three componenets...the MAF calculating air flow...the IAT calcualting air tems and the manifold vacum pressure.....All Speed Denisty eliminates is the MAF tables and you replace them with fixed tables...so you eliminated the errors/false readings/dirty sensors etc. I know this is a 40K foot explanation but....you still read off the IAT and Manifold Pressure...My Goat runs tons better/faster and I lost all that stumbling idle bullshit I had with the MAF.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

I Did Mine

I P&P both the MAF and TB on my 2000z with little expertise and common hand tools. I have experienced no unwanted lites or running conditions. Can't speak as to power gains. Some threads say don't do the MAF but my rationale was if it caused problems I would replace it. Probably not good logic but mine none the less. Good luck

The Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You engine adjust timing and fuel from three componenets...the MAF calculating air flow...the IAT calcualting air tems and the manifold vacum pressure.....All Speed Denisty eliminates is the MAF tables and you replace them with fixed tables...so you eliminated the errors/false readings/dirty sensors etc. I know this is a 40K foot explanation but....you still read off the IAT and Manifold Pressure...My Goat runs tons better/faster and I lost all that stumbling idle bullshit I had with the MAF.
    What does this cost Sarge?

Silver
    2002 Z28

Good tuner prolly would do it for 150, prolly tune you up too for that price. I did my MAF, and then bought a new one. Dont do it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie View Post
    What does this cost Sarge?
    Well my tuner didnt cahrge me anything.....I agree with the above....they should be able to do a SD tune for around $200 max...

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Sarge,

I'm new to the world of LS1's and all the info is overwhelming. But I'm trying to understand tuning. I was thinking about getting a Diablo Predator because I'm only going to make some light mods to the car, meaning no head, cam, or intake manifold work, because I need it to still be a reliable daily driver. I've also considered paying someone to tune it for me, because I really only plan on doing it once after I make the mods. What I need help with is, understanding how the tune works. Meaning is it just plug it in and let the programmer talk to the car and make adjustments or do I tell the programmer what to tell the car? I know I can tell it when to make the fans come on and tire size and gear changes. But who/what actually tells the car what to do. I'm dazed and confused, any help would be appreciated, even if you just point me in the right direction.

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Kages99 View Post
    Sarge is the one who recommended Nelson Perform. to me..
    http://www.nelsonperformance.com/. Had my SS perf. tuned by them last week. Now i'm a very happy boy.
    I'm glad you're happy. There's only one problem, I don't live in TX, no where near TX, I need someone in MD, close to DC area. Thanks though. Do you know exactly what they did to your car? And how much was it?

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

I looked at their site and they'll send me another computer. I'll look around but they seem to have the best deal. Especially custom tuning a computer for my car that will allow me to chose between two gas grades. Kages99, how much power did you pick up?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Red Chevy View Post
    I looked at their site and they'll send me another computer. I'll look around but they seem to have the best deal. Especially custom tuning a computer for my car that will allow me to chose between two gas grades. Kages99, how much power did you pick up?
    Hey man....You'll get bitten by the dreaded "Mod" bug if you stay on this path If your going to be switching between 89 octane tunes and 93 octane tunes then yes a Superchips/Diablo/Hypertech should be the way to go for you. A professional mail order or dyno tune is much more in depth and delivers more performance and often times economy as the A/F is normally leaned out as compared to factory tunes. Stock to small mods you can realize some gains with a handheld no doubt....but for the real deal....and about the same amount of money ( dont forget you can get re-tunes for nothing or next to nothing with a dyno or mail order tune.)...you can get a pro tune on your ride. And yes...nelson performance is heads above the rest.
    And to answer your question as to how does the handheld work....I'll give it a shot....
    Handhelds have "packaged tunes" that they have developed on the dyno with a number of cars to gain the middle of the road performance and reliability. Adjust timimng, air fuel, rev limiters, shift points ( if auto) etc.
    Not a bad thing....but a mail order tune from a pro gets you complete tune...gotta run...sorry

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Red Chevy View Post
    Sarge,

I'm new to the world of LS1's and all the info is overwhelming. But I'm trying to understand tuning. I was thinking about getting a Diablo Predator because I'm only going to make some light mods to the car, meaning no head, cam, or intake manifold work, because I need it to still be a reliable daily driver. I've also considered paying someone to tune it for me, because I really only plan on doing it once after I make the mods. What I need help with is, understanding how the tune works. Meaning is it just plug it in and let the programmer talk to the car and make adjustments or do I tell the programmer what to tell the car? I know I can tell it when to make the fans come on and tire size and gear changes. But who/what actually tells the car what to do. I'm dazed and confused, any help would be appreciated, even if you just point me in the right direction.
    I use a predator on my GTO just because I have very few mods if any planned for the car. I would recommend it to someone that's in the same situation. I use ls1edit on my f-body as it has many mods so a predator just wouldn't cut it.
    Basically, you tell the predator what to do to your car. It makes changes to tables in the pcm to adjust your tune accordingly. The predator makes this pretty easy to do. I would still recommend doing some reading before just jumping in feet first but it's really simple.

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Thanks Sarge and Orion. As far as the "mod" bug goes, I can control that with daily glimpse's of my bank account. Car note, rent, school, utilities you know all my monthly friends. I most likely won't be switching between 89 and 93 octance, I never run regular gas. I mostly run supreme, and sometimes mix in some 91 (mid-grade) octane. It usually turns out to be a 70/30 mix of 93 and 91. I will just get tuned to one grade of gas, I only stated the option to be able to switch, because I hadn't seen to many people that offered that. On thing I did think about was, I wondered if a company could program a PCM to have a performance and highway setting. But that's just a thought. I will most likely end up with a PCM from Nelson. Here is a list of things I plan to change on the car and you tell me which you think would be necessary, Predator or Nelson tune.

160 thermo
    It already has an LS6 intake
    SLP cold air intake
    Trim the SLP box
    Smooth Bellows
    Port & polish TB
    LT headers
    Delco or NGK Iridium plugs
    Granatelli wires
    Cat's removal
    3" ORY
    Already have SLP Dual Dual cat back
    underdrive crank and alt pullies

And that would be it. Light mods, no cam or head work. Still need the car to be a daily driver and reliable. From what you've told me, I think the Nelson tune will maximize the upgrade potential, the Predator will give me a generic upgrade. Thanks for any info.

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

I bought a set of ported MAF ends for about $35, and glad I did. My car ran like S---. Was glad I had my stock ones to go back to. I still had the ported ones.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Yeah...don't do it. The MAF table in the PCM is calibrated for the stock intake design. When you change the airflow characteristics, you throw off the readings. Lids are ok because the screen on the MAF still straightens out the airflow. Once you remove that screen and open the MAF up a little, readings can become less consistent.

Thread Information