SOM
    2002 SS

How to remove door panel w/ roll up windows??

Was just about to tear into the door panel and thought I'd ask before I break something. WHat do I do about the window roller uppers? does it come off with the door panel or does it need to be removed first? Help ! I want to get started !

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Well I
    Don't know
    What your working on but there maybe a hidden screw with a like a plastic piece cover the screw you have to pop out. Or it may have what I call a Jesus clip retaineer there is a groove behind the handle and the panel and when this clips installed holds the handle
    On needs a special door tool. I call it a Jesus retaineer because when you pop it out sometimes it flys out of there that's when you say jesus Christ where that go. Hope this helps a little.

SOM
    2002 SS

thanks I'll go check for a clip. I'm replacing my monsoon speakers so I need to get the door panel off.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    thanks I'll go check for a clip. I'm replacing my monsoon speakers so I need to get the door panel off.
    If you need a tool parts store usally have cheap ones for door handle removers

SOM
    2002 SS

I'm going to pass by one in a bit. I cant see the clip or anything. is it on the part of the handle closest to the door panel ? No I haven't been trying all this time i' heading go pick up my wheels fro the powdercoater

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I'm going to pass by one in a bit. I cant see the clip or anything. is it on the part of the handle closest to the door panel ? No I haven't been trying all this time i' heading go pick up my wheels fro the powdercoater
    if you hold out on the handle and push in on the panel its right there real close to the inside edge of the handle. its like a u shape, open end is in line with the handle, the tool pushes on the two legs on the open end, if you have a set of small hooks like o-ring removal tools you can hook the loop end on the other side and pull it off if you have enough room to get in there. to reinstall you put the clip back on the handle, use a tiny bit of lube and just pop it back on the shaft. once you have it off itll be clear how it works. unless these are different than other gm cars, then i dont know what im talking about.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 05-21-2009 at 10:53 AM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    if you hold out on the handle and push in on the panel its right there real close to the inside edge of the handle. its like a u shape, open end is in line with the handle, the tool pushes on the two legs on the open end, if you have a set of small hooks like o-ring removal tools you can hook the loop end on the other side and pull it off if you have enough room to get in there. to reinstall you put the clip back on the handle, use a tiny bit of lube and just pop it back on the shaft. once you have it off itll be clear how it works. unless these are different than other gm cars, then i dont know what im talking about.
    Just like said above. I have used a thin screwdriver to push it off also. Just keep an eye on the clip because it tends to fly. Here is what the tool looks like. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ci7mTI0...Aid-87615.html

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I've used a sock or a shop rag before to get those clips out. Just run it along in between the panel and the window crank. The rag should catch/snag on the pointy end of the Jesus Clip
    and come out.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I've used a sock or a shop rag before to get those clips out. Just run it along in between the panel and the window crank. The rag should catch/snag on the pointy end of the Jesus Clip Click for full size
    and come out.
    a clean one i hope.

SOM
    2002 SS

Thanks guys. Sounds easy enough i should be getting to it tomorrow. Ended up picking up the wheels always expecting the worst and what do you know they screwed up the powdercoat a bit on 2 of em. I feel like these guys. they screwed up my vette wheels like 7 years ago, and had to redo my bike wheels (03 600 and 04 750) twice each wheel cuz of a bad powdering job. I expected the worst and got it.

anyhow I'm excited to get some sound tomorrow from the replacement speakers

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

I probly wouldn't go to the powdercoater anymore

Thread Information