05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

how much clearance?

i had that flat driver side ehaust pipe replaced with a 2 1/2 pipe...it was thuding really bad under normal acceleration, so i took it back and had the muffler shop make more clearance. It still does it but only at WOT....how much clearance do i need on top of the pipe? Right now i'd say there's about 1 1/2-2 inches. Do you guys with a aftermarket y-pipe have a prob like this also?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Smile

I had a custom 2 1/2" Y pipe fabricated to replace my flattened stock pipe on my stock height 01 Z28, and have had no issues with it at all, and it is tucked up pretty tight to the frame, I also have SLP 3 point bolt on subframe connectors, so it maybe the lack of body flex that keeps this from happening.

SteveC

Azhigher
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    i had that flat driver side ehaust pipe replaced with a 2 1/2 pipe...it was thuding really bad under normal acceleration, so i took it back and had the muffler shop make more clearance. It still does it but only at WOT....how much clearance do i need on top of the pipe? Right now i'd say there's about 1 1/2-2 inches. Do you guys with a aftermarket y-pipe have a prob like this also?
    If you're having a problem with banging, why not have the muffler shop weld a piece of metal (A bolt, or steel rod) from the Y-pipe, or whatever is banging, to the body of the car?

Thats what I had done on my TD's and it worked like a charm. The thing doesn't move AT ALL. The flex is all in the hangers out back.

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhigher
    If you're having a problem with banging, why not have the muffler shop weld a piece of metal (A bolt, or steel rod) from the Y-pipe, or whatever is banging, to the body of the car?

Thats what I had done on my TD's and it worked like a charm. The thing doesn't move AT ALL. The flex is all in the hangers out back.
    What about when your engine twists in the bay when you hit the throttle? The headers physically move and the engine mounts/exhaust normally absorb it...but if its all secured in place that movement has nowhere to go except into the mounts themselves and maybe to the rest of the car. Just a thought...car vibrate more at all after that mod?

I hope i'm making sense, its really late and im gonna pass out soon.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
    What about when your engine twists in the bay when you hit the throttle? The headers physically move and the engine mounts/exhaust normally absorb it...but if its all secured in place that movement has nowhere to go except into the mounts themselves and maybe to the rest of the car. Just a thought...car vibrate more at all after that mod?

I hope i'm making sense, its really late and im gonna pass out soon.
    yea that's what i was worried about...the motor torquing and breaking a weld causing a exhaust leak. I'm just worried that it won't allow the exhaust to flex any. anyone have this prob with the slp y-pipe?

Ugly but well hung, A-10 SS#1531's Avatar
    1998 Camaro SS M6 Hardtop

I've heard of people wraping header wrap around the y-pipe in the area that hits. I had the banging problem and I put in a poly trans mount and the banging went away. I suspected that maybe my rubber mount was broken though, so that may have been part of my banging problem anyway.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

anytime you connect an exaust part directly to the body you run the risk of sending engine vibration through the body(hence the use of rubber mounts on the exaust and motor) its just not installed right.the slp "oversized Y pipe" is ok. oh yea i hate that flat pipe and the way it hung down. the slp one looks so much better
    Last edited by twozs; 09-24-2005 at 05:27 PM.

05 Wrangler

sweet...i'm gonna get the slp y-pipe and if that starts bangin i'll wrap it in header wrap. No it's not the trans mount, it's only been banging since i had the driverside pipe replaced

I dig music..I'M ON DRUGS Deviant Hawk's Avatar

Arctic White
    '01 T/A Firehawk

The noise is caused from the engine torquing a slamming your y-pipe into the bottom of the car, that's why GM designed that side flat. What you can do is get a piece rubber fuel line and 2 short sheet metal screws and screw it in to the floorboard. Or just get out the BFH and pound out some room above the area, won't do anything inside the car and nobody will ever see it unless they are under your car.

BTW, I have a SLP y-pipe just sitting it my garage I'll sell you, 100 bucks +shipping.

05 Wrangler

ahh man...I already ordered the pipe the other day, otherwise i'd buy it from ya. I'm gonna try the header wrap...if that doesn't work i'm gonna try your rubber line idea...thnx

Thread Information