Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

How loud are Cut-outs?

hey guys... I'm just wondering... How Loud would my car get with Twin Cut-outs?...and how much power would I get out of them (considering I have stock Manifolds and no tune)

we found a set I like... it's like $60... manual cut-outs... it would make for a great X-mas present to myself... and well... I might get too lazy to put shut them up after running at the track all day...or I might just want to be loud on the street...

I've heard LS1's with Catback... and they are ok... and my car curently doesn't have either Cats nor Resonator but has Stock Muffler...and it's not loud at all...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

it will be loud but since you have manifolds i would just put one under the back right seat
    2002 Z28 M6, Suncoast Creations ram air, port/polish TB w/ bypass and bumpstop, heater hose mod, stainless steel long tubes, ORY w/ dual cutouts, Magnaflow, BMR SFC, UMI Torque Arm, LS7 clutch w/ drill mod, Pro 5.0 w/ Lous short stick, MSD wires, 4.10s, good maintenancehttp://www.fquick.com/blue02z

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    it will be loud but since you have manifolds i would just put one under the back right seat
    I just feel like... opening it up before the damn thined out and all messed up... Y-pipe.... plus...more accessible... I guess...

anywho... how loud is loud?... 5.0L on full exhaust Loud... or... loud enought to not draw attention of Cops loud?

BTW... my car is mostly stock exept for a intake...

Black
    2001 Z28

I have an 01 Z28 with stock exhaust setup minus cats. I had a manual cutout installed in the straight pipe between the cats and the muffler. Got it from Jegs for like $30 and installed at a local shop for about $30. It sounds just right imo. Not too loud and obnoxious, unless you are really getting on it, and then it just roars!

I had a guy in my local Camaro club follow me home to drop off some wheels one cold night last year and he wanted to know what kind of exhaust setup I had because it sounded so good and he noticed stock tips. He could hear it even at low speeds with windows up.

I took the cap off the day it was installed, and actually put it back on for the first time in 2 years last weekend. I cant believe the difference. The car sounds so slow and weak now. It is coming back off tomorrow and I might as well trash it, cause I will likely never put it back on again. I forgot how pathetic the factory exhaust sounded.

Good Luck!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Dual cutouts at the headers will lose power for you.

A single cutout under the rear passenger seat would be your best bet.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    hey guys... I'm just wondering... How Loud would my car get with Twin Cut-outs?...and how much power would I get out of them (considering I have stock Manifolds and no tune)

we found a set I like... it's like $60... manual cut-outs... it would make for a great X-mas present to myself... and well... I might get too lazy to put shut them up after running at the track all day...or I might just want to be loud on the street...

I've heard LS1's with Catback... and they are ok... and my car curently doesn't have either Cats nor Resonator but has Stock Muffler...and it's not loud at all...
    here is my cut-out open

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

As far as the cutout i would go single befor the axle. Your not running enough cubes to worry about dual cutouts. If your looking for power there are plenty other mods out there to give you the most for your money befor you decide to grab a cutout.
    just my 02 thou
    J

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    As far as the cutout i would go single befor the axle. Your not running enough cubes to worry about dual cutouts. If your looking for power there are plenty other mods out there to give you the most for your money befor you decide to grab a cutout.
    just my 02 thou
    J
    Cutout (if I just do a single)... would run me under $100 installed... I already got a Lid and such.... bought the car with no cats and such... I'd love to have money for a good tunner... but that's why I'm saving up my cash... this cutout will be a gift from my parents...

I could just ask for the LCA drop down brakets I "need"... but I've driven my car all of 600miles in the past 5 months... so it's not really a big issue right now...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    here is my cut-out open

that sounds nice... could be the fact that it's through a computer and not in person... but they don't sound TOO loud... most Mustangs around here seem to be just as loud just on a catback... so that's GREAT for me...

thanks for the vids!

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

I just got one, and the car is louder in person then in the videos. It kinda hurts my ears somtimes if I keep it at just the right RPM

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Justin23454 View Post
    I just got one, and the car is louder in person then in the videos. It kinda hurts my ears somtimes if I keep it at just the right RPM
    Nice!... that should scare a few pustangs away...

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Justin23454 View Post

lol, I had to put mine back on to give my ear a rest..........yes video dont do them justice...............I LOVE MINE !

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

ya my bro use 2 tell me my exhaust wasnt to good, now when he got in it he started laughing and was like "WTF are you kidding me, this is TO loud" lol, I dont think its to loud, I love mine lol.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

so... I order only 1 of them... and put it where the Resonator used to be... and just leave it as it comes so it's easy to block off and free up...

my car is lowered... so it might be a bit tight to get under it to un-cork it... but hey... at least it'll sound good...

but still... would I be looking at only 10whp... out of it? at maximum?... since i'd only be bypassing the Stock Muffler... ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

here is mine-lots louder in person

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=10948715

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

I'm pretty sure there's a couple of sound clips on www.ls1sounds.com of open exhausts.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

so... I order only 1 of them... and put it where the Resonator used to be... and just leave it as it comes so it's easy to block off and free up...

my car is lowered... so it might be a bit tight to get under it to un-cork it... but hey... at least it'll sound good...

but still... would I be looking at only 10whp... out of it? at maximum?... since i'd only be bypassing the Stock Muffler... ?

put it in the I-pipe right b4 it goes over the axle.........10-12 rwhp

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

i have an electric cut out its loud and deeep. sounds better then my SLP did less rasp
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    put it in the I-pipe right b4 it goes over the axle.........10-12 rwhp
    hm, nice... I guess I can't hope for any better then that for the money, I mean... less then $80... for 10-12whp... that's awsome bang for the buck

I can't wait till after X-mas, and it gets put on!...

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

hm, nice... I guess I can't hope for any better then that for the money, I mean... less then $80... for 10-12whp... that's awsome bang for the buck

I can't wait till after X-mas, and it gets put on!...

some say though that it sounds best if u still have your cats and manifolds

Thread Information