How hard is it maintaining an LS1 M6 Camaro.

Hey guys I just wanted to see how hard it is to maintain a LS1 M6. as far as maintenance changing all the fluids spark plugs... I know with headers spark plugs are a lot quicker any other tips would be appreciated. I just wanted to find out what's the biggest pain as far as maintenance goes. I'm not a professional mechanic in but I like to maintain my own vehicles as much as I can do. Thanks.

2002 trans am ws6

If you have done your oil changes you should be ok. The first time I change the spark plugs it took me like 2 hours. Now I can change them in less then 30 minutes, and that's berore I did the long tube headers. The T56 transmission is pretty good. I did change my transmission fluid when it reached 100k.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Jim, welcome to the site.

I see you list a 2004 Camaro, last one rolled across the assembly line in 2002. Not trying to bust your balls just letting you know. Need to check your year again.

In this section you will see a thread that says Technical Info Write Ups

Here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/technic...tickies-79083/

It has a lot of write ups for most common issues that members have done. It's a big help.

Most common issues for f bodies are:

99-01 Chicken Pox - paint bubbles up on sail panel due to bad adhesive GM used. Not an easy and cheap fix.
    10 Bolt rear - GM puts a great power plant on a weak ass rear. Pinon leaks very common. Blowing it's gears - very easy on a M6 (more common if you drive aggressive launches). Not saying you need to be kid gloves just it's something that needs to be plan on replacing.
    Body flex - The cars are unibody. Needed to come with Subframe Connectors. There are bolt ups that can be install in your drive way. 3pt better than 2 pt.
    PCV - this is a POS system in how GM designed. It will lead to vacuum leaks. Hose cracks common in 2 spots. One where the pcv is and the other is where it y splits in the back of the intake.

Fluids are no issues.
    Air filter - great debate on K&N vs paper. Paper no MAF issues, K&N - better follow instructions and let air dry otherwise your MAF will be effected and codes will start popping.

If you got questions go ahead and ask, it's how we all learn. No one should dog you for asking an honest question.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Thanks for all the info I'll look into it. I'll strengthen all the weak spots of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Jim, welcome to the site.

I see you list a 2004 Camaro, last one rolled across the assembly line in 2002. Not trying to bust your balls just letting you know. Need to check your year again.

In this section you will see a thread that says Technical Info Write Ups

Here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/technic...tickies-79083/

It has a lot of write ups for most common issues that members have done. It's a big help.

Most common issues for f bodies are:

99-01 Chicken Pox - paint bubbles up on sail panel due to bad adhesive GM used. Not an easy and cheap fix.
    10 Bolt rear - GM puts a great power plant on a weak ass rear. Pinon leaks very common. Blowing it's gears - very easy on a M6 (more common if you drive aggressive launches). Not saying you need to be kid gloves just it's something that needs to be plan on replacing.
    Body flex - The cars are unibody. Needed to come with Subframe Connectors. There are bolt ups that can be install in your drive way. 3pt better than 2 pt.
    PCV - this is a POS system in how GM designed. It will lead to vacuum leaks. Hose cracks common in 2 spots. One where the pcv is and the other is where it y splits in the back of the intake.

Fluids are no issues.
    Air filter - great debate on K&N vs paper. Paper no MAF issues, K&N - better follow instructions and let air dry otherwise your MAF will be effected and codes will start popping.

If you got questions go ahead and ask, it's how we all learn. No one should dog you for asking an honest question.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

With or without headers, spark plug changes are going to be tough. When you get around to changing your plugs I would go with NGK or Denso Iridium plugs. They should last well over 100k. Just remember to put some anti seize compound on the threads.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information