Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

How to get Rid of Air Bag Light after new steering wheel install

Hey, don't know if anybody has an answer to this, but I just installed a Momo steering wheel and removed my old steering wheel w/ the air bag. I have 5 point harnesses so I am not worried about the function of the air bags anymore, but I have an Air Bag light staring me in the face. How do I get rid of it? I removed the gauge cluster already and figured out that I can't just remove a light bulb. The warning lights must be hardwired to the circuit board or something. Does anybody make an air bag simulator or something?? Any ideas???

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

black tape over the dash light??
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

1966 Corvette Coupe

take out the bulb.... hmmm never mind... you gotta be able to take it out... thats not fair if you cant... i dont know break the bulb... just jab it with something...

-me

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

I wish I could jab it with something, but I think that the lights are somehow inside the circuit board or something... I dunno

...Maybe I can wire a resistor in the circuit to trick the computer into thinking that the air bag is really there... what resistance though??

black
    2002 TA WS7

whats the reason for puttin an new steering wheel on anyway

Pewter
    02 Z28

you have pics of the steering wheel on your car
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

I unplug the airbags on my cars so equipped simply because I just don't like em'. As far as the light goes,,,I just deal with it,,doesn't bother me that much. I checked around for some type of air bag simulator or other methods of making the light go out a long time ago,,,and had no luck,,,it's been so long now I really don't notice the light much anymore. Larry.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

you can still pull the lights out. I pulled the ABS and TCS lights a while back because of my moser install. when you find out which light it is on the board just dont be afraid to yank it out. it is only two leads going onto the board and wont affect anything else.

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

Did you pull the circuit board free off the gauge cluster??? If so how??? I looked at that and it looked like the circuit board was also attached to the motors for the speedometer and tachometer... maybe I'm just scared to break something...

I'll get some pics posted later today....

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

i dont really remember.. It was about 6 months ago that I did it but I am almost positive the airbag light is the same as the lights I pulled out. Maybe if you post those pics itl jog my memory

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

Here's the picture of the new Momo Competition Steering Wheel...

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

Here's the pictures of the front and back of the gauge cluster, the air bag light is right above the 2500 rpm area, and as you can see there is no light bulb, and I even pulled off the black plastic and all I can see behind the circuit board is resistors and motors and stuff, no light bulbs...

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

I just figured it out!!!!!!!!! Now I feel like a dumbass, Alright, if you pull off the black plastic piece and pry up the circuit board just a little, you will see the bulbs that light up each warning system... After that it is VERY simple... figure out which light you don't want and let a pair of needle-nosed pliers do the rest. Well sorry for answering my own question, but hey, maybe somebody else wants the same info.... I included a picture that shows what the lights look like when the board is pulled up... Thanks for all the suggestions, though...

black
    2002 TA WS7

i still dont understand the point of that steering wheel what was wrong with ur old one

black
    2002 TA WS7

i dunno maybe that steering wheel adds like 400 horsepower or somethin right?

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
    i dunno maybe that steering wheel adds like 400 horsepower or somethin right?
    There was nothing "wrong" with the old steering wheel, I just wanted to change the look, so the interior didn't look like everybody else who owns a Camaro. I didn't want a cheap look so I didn't just buy my steering wheel from AutoZone. That steering wheel is made in Italy and has an amazing feel to it. I road race, so having a good feel, and a shorter diameter is good.

And just for the record, I have invested way more money underneath my hood than on just the looks of my car... I not some stupid ricer that only buys stuff to make my car look "cool". There's nothing wrong with going fast and looking good at the same time. Everyone that has seen my interior thinks that it looks awesome.

did you buy that joy-stick shifter as a shifter or did you make it yourself?

Pewter
    02 Z28

the interior looks sweet I would get a momo steering wheel 2 but I really like the sterio control on the original one

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpickering View Post
    I just figured it out!!!!!!!!! Now I feel like a dumbass, Alright, if you pull off the black plastic piece and pry up the circuit board just a little, you will see the bulbs that light up each warning system... After that it is VERY simple... figure out which light you don't want and let a pair of needle-nosed pliers do the rest. Well sorry for answering my own question, but hey, maybe somebody else wants the same info.... I included a picture that shows what the lights look like when the board is pulled up... Thanks for all the suggestions, though...

Told ya so

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

good job on your interior by the way..

Thread Information