Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

how do you all get 27mpg on highway w a 6 spd?

i recently did a tank that was all highway driving on the interstate with cruise et around 80 mph. there was a trip in houston where i was stuck in traffic on the freeway but overall mostly straight highway driving w cruise on. now i only got 22.5 mpg. how does the manufacturer get 27? i've had a tune up recently too so i don't think it's that.
    1999 Camaro SS 6 Speed

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

when I go on road trips I get 28, many things can reduce your fuel economy

Tire Pressure
    AC or Heater (that might be your culprit)
    Fuel and Air Filters
    and your driving habbit.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I got 31MPG on the highway a few times back before the motor swap when mostly stock.
    27.5MPG with a smaller cam in the 346ci on the highway.

Maybe a tune-up is in order?
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

what do you all keep your cruise at?

i don't get how i can be getting mileage that bad after i just got new spark plugs,wires, air filter, fuel filter a few months back. tire pressure was good too.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Not sure, but maybe its the way you drive it. Most cars get the best gas milage at 55-65 mpg range at a CONSTANT speed, like cruise control. If you are exceeding that, then you might have found your problem.

Another issue might be the terrain. If there are allot of hills, then that will definately impact your milage.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

check tire pressure... a lot of people leave tires underinflated, and with our cars, most people have some pretty big tires on them, best keep them filled for best mileage.

red
    1999 trans am convert

What rear axle ratio also? I got 30 recently with a M6 but I have a 3:42 rear. Also watch the tach.......when your doing 55 mine is barley over idle......when your doing 80 it's probably a lot higher.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

M6 here as well. Average between 26-31 MPG when on road trips, with the windows down (no A/C)

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

I just came back from a 4 hour drive on the interstate and I avg. 24 mpg with my A4. Also if you are driving into a headwind that well reduce your mileage. Other then what has already been stated I can’t think of anything else that it could be.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

I just got back from a 12 hour drive from Florida. In a SS 6speed I just bought. With the A/C blowing cold all the way and going 75-80 mph I got 26 mpg without even trying. Even stuck in traffic in Atlanta for 2 hrs. on I-75 and the worst tank of gas was 25 mpg....

Logged with the laptop on the way back and the car was running very rich too. I got back and found the VE table pulling fuel to the tune of -20 to -26 in almost every cell. Now that I have that straightened out I've picked up another 3 mpg driving around town here.

Went from 17 mpg around town to 20.5 mpg with some simple tuning changes. Going on another highway trip tomorrow and I'll check the highway mileage again to see if these minor changes affected that end of it....

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I have found the secret for getting better MPG with my car is to keep cruise control on and at about 70-75. Once I cross over that point I loose about go from 27 to 22ish. Once you have all the little things checked (tire psi etc) then it is just a matter of how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    I have found the secret for getting better MPG with my car is to keep cruise control on and at about 70-75. Once I cross over that point I loose about go from 27 to 22ish. Once you have all the little things checked (tire psi etc) then it is just a matter of how you drive it.
    I didn't get to use the cruise control on my trip,,,,damn thing wasn't working,,,lol.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I didn't get to use the cruise control on my trip,,,,damn thing wasn't working,,,lol.
    I forgot how much I like cruise control until I was doing a 3.5 hour drive and it slipped off the throttle body mid trip. I assumed it was the multiswitch going out. Made me a very happy person for the trip back that I could use cruise control again.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I just got back from a 12 hour drive from Florida. In a SS 6speed I just bought. With the A/C blowing cold all the way and going 75-80 mph I got 26 mpg without even trying. Even stuck in traffic in Atlanta for 2 hrs. on I-75 and the worst tank of gas was 25 mpg....

Logged with the laptop on the way back and the car was running very rich too. I got back and found the VE table pulling fuel to the tune of -20 to -26 in almost every cell. Now that I have that straightened out I've picked up another 3 mpg driving around town here.

Went from 17 mpg around town to 20.5 mpg with some simple tuning changes. Going on another highway trip tomorrow and I'll check the highway mileage again to see if these minor changes affected that end of it....
    is it easy to learn to tune yourself like that?

best tank ive ever gotten was 25, but its mostly 18 around town and 23-24 on the highway with cruise set at 75.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

simple, people dont...

you're hurting your MPG by 6-10% for going over 60mph. fuel economy starts to decrease exponentally since it requires more fuel to keep a sustained speed of 80mph than it does at 60mph due to wind resistance and drag...

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    that must be it then b/c i had cruise control on around 80-85mph. all the little things like tire psi and all of that were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    is it easy to learn to tune yourself like that?

best tank ive ever gotten was 25, but its mostly 18 around town and 23-24 on the highway with cruise set at 75.
    I wouldn't say easy. I have knowledge of tuning old school stuff that goes waaaayyy back and still do that for a living ,,,,,and the same principles apply here.

Biggest difference here though is that it's all done on a laptop,,,,and I'm not computer savy at all. So there was a huge computer learning curve I have had to go through, and I am still going through it,,,,learning the software and all the ins and outs. I have learned enough to see some interesting results and I'm happy I dove in.... There are so many more benefits than just squeaking out HP...

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

a month ago I was driving the autobahn to Frankfurt and back. Most of the time i was able to drive between 85-110mph and still got a little over 26mpg!!!

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    a month ago I was driving the autobahn to Frankfurt and back. Most of the time i was able to drive between 85-110mph and still got a little over 26mpg!!!
    you drove a camaro on autobahn... thats my dream, to just put the pedal to the floor and go, for as long as i want, as fast as i want all day. nice.

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    you drove a camaro on autobahn... thats my dream, to just put the pedal to the floor and go, for as long as i want, as fast as i want all day. nice.
    Well, its not that all the autobahn is unlimited. Also with all the traffic it isnt save to go really fast like 150+mph.

Thread Information