black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

How to cure backfire?

Mods in sig, ever since headers and exhaust installed it will back fire when i let off the throttle sometimes. It even backfired when i started it up today, kinda embarrassing. What are some remedies to possibly cure this. I just got NGK TR55 IX plugs and am gonna have them put in shortly, would that cure it? I am not sure to be honest as what to do about it. I plan on tuning it soon too but will that help it either?
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The first thing I would do is swap back in your stock MAF and see if that clears it up. Other than that it sounds like a tuning issue probably if your O2's are functioning properly.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I will try the stock maf but I have no cats therefore no rear o2s. so i am not sure if that matters or not in this case.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

It starts under "open-loop" which means it doesn't even use ANY of the 02's until they are up to temp. and "cycling". If you wouldn't of made the comment about it doing it at idle I would say it sounds like you have a leak and it sucking air and causing it to backfire.....
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    It starts under "open-loop" which means it doesn't even use ANY of the 02's until they are up to temp. and "cycling". If you wouldn't of made the comment about it doing it at idle I would say it sounds like you have a leak and it sucking air and causing it to backfire.....
    good call on the open loop. I missed that one.
    My buddies C-5 was having a backfire issue and it ended up being a burned plug wire. It was laying on the header and cracked it. His was also cutting out under hard accel though.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

well it doesnt do it when the car is idling, I meant that it did it just after firing up. when it idles it doesnt do it, it only did that once right after start. usually if it will do it, it will be when i am driving on the interstate going 60-70mph and let off to slow down. Does that sound like something that the Gmaf would cause? I tried getting it to do it last night and it wouldnt backfire. I was trying to see if it was only doing it around certain rpm or anything but couldnt get it to do it at all. So it doesnt do it all the time but just when i am not expecting it and it pisses me off.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    well it doesnt do it when the car is idling, I meant that it did it just after firing up. when it idles it doesnt do it, it only did that once right after start. usually if it will do it, it will be when i am driving on the interstate going 60-70mph and let off to slow down. Does that sound like something that the Gmaf would cause? I tried getting it to do it last night and it wouldnt backfire. I was trying to see if it was only doing it around certain rpm or anything but couldnt get it to do it at all. So it doesnt do it all the time but just when i am not expecting it and it pisses me off.
    That sounds like a backpressure pop to me...not a backfire. It's normal with exhaust on these cars...mine does it all the time when letting off the throttle, especially on the freeway.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

So is it a bad thing? I mean hurtful on my engine? And how do I fix it?

Green

Mine pops every once and a while. I installed lt headers and ORY. From what I understand the way to cure it would be to remove the air pump, but then it will throw a code until you have it tuned out. The pop can also come from the gapping on the spark plugs if it is not correct. When I put the headers on, the former owner left an original wire and two original plugs one of which arced.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

well maybe when i put in my NGKs that will fix it. we will see

Silver
    2002 Z28

Just to let you know, the Tr-55s won't fix it. It's a backpressure "pop", caused from the equalizing pressure in your true duals/LTs. I bet you have 3" piping right? I've got the same thing going on, I'm used to it now, but to the untrained ear, I know people are hearing the "pop" and the cam's idle, and thinking the car isn't running well...hehe.
    And before you ask, I'm running TR-6s now for Nitrous' sake, no change from stock ACDelco plugs to TR-55s to TR-6s, at least not as far as the pop goes.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

thanks for the help

Mine does it when cold and it lasts till almost at idle. As soon as I push the clutch in when its cold it pops. Didn't do it stock but with the LM it's carazy.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Me too

Mine has had the same pop in the exhaust since I purchased it stock. Put on Hooker Aerochamber CB and helped a little. Once engine is warmed up no more pop. I read numerous when cold most all LS1 have the same.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Thread Information