White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Horsepower Tv Mustang

well i was watchin HP TV today and was a bit suprised. I think it was a 2008-2009 mustang gt, auto tranny that pulled 268 rwhp with aftermarket exhuast. One suprise it pulled just about the same as a manual which was a good suprise. The other suprise which wasnt good is they hooked up a 75 shot of nitrous(wet) and it pulled about 322rwhp and then 100 shot 346 rwhp and then 125 at 352 rwhp.

With a 125 shot of nitrous there still just as fast as a fully bolt on LS1 since some of those can go anywere between 340-360rwhp with full bolt ons. I was expecting them to be much higher especially with nitrous because with our cars that came with 310hp in 01-02 with were easily in the 400's with 125 shot of nitrous especially with some bolt ons. Just thought after these many years mustang would finally catch up to the LS1's. I dont want to sound like im putting the GT down i still think its a great car for the money but it was interesting to see the show today.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Yeah i was talking to the girl about that today...

On Motortrend the new 2010 mustang GT gets 320hp and is 30k.. didnt our cars cost that like 10 years ago???

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Yeah i was talking to the girl about that today...

On Motortrend the new 2010 mustang GT gets 320hp and is 30k.. didnt our cars cost that like 10 years ago???
    shows what a hiatus of a competitor can do to the market, they all get boring 'cos there's nothing to play with

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I was trying to figure out but eventually just gave up as to how long it will take for the Mustang Gt to finally catch up to the LS1 performance, stock to stock. So far 300hp and about 260rwhp, 5 speed tranny. The 02 LS1 310hp about 285rwhp, 6 speed, well if anything the interior has come a long way, im sure it handles well and brakes well but since people buy these cars for there straightline performance cant say they handle too bad with some mods to the suspension they do well the mustang is still a bit behind. Maybe all the talk ive been hearing about a new Mach 1 coming out will do some justice for the mustang faithfull, im sure its gonna be much faster, better handling and so on compared to the stock GT, hopefully they can price it right.

1966 Corvette Coupe

next year they are getting 400+ HP and a 6 speed...

-me

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    next year they are getting 400+ HP and a 6 speed...

-me
    2003?? lol

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

The problem is, is GM (Government Motors) still going to produce performance vehicles?

The Corvette is slated to be discontinued (hearsay) in 2012, I'm afraid the new Camaro will be short lived in the V8 version.

SteveC

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    2003?? lol
    Meant GT's

and 03's had 390.... Close but not quite 400+

-me

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    I was trying to figure out but eventually just gave up as to how long it will take for the Mustang Gt to finally catch up to the LS1 performance, stock to stock.
    I don't think anybody should be suprised that a 281 is out powered by a 346.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

The suprise isnt the 281 is out powered by the bigger motor. The suprise is whats ford doing for the past several years. Even the 370Z is faster, better handling and braking, STI and EVO are up there or pretty close. Also i wasnt stating why a 281 is getting beat by a bigger motor either in the response that you gave if you look at it more carefully, when is FORD going to catch up to the performance of the LS1. Sure they have a Termi back in 03-04, 2 years lol and had to put on a supercharger and even then a mild or full bolt on LS1 can pull it unless its modded. So we know usually the bigger motor is going to out power the smaller but what about the 370Z out powering the mustang gt. Im not trying to put NaviDyn i do understand the point your making, ive test driven 98 gt vert, 02 Gt, 03 & 04 cobra's all in the hope of buying one. Ive even purchased a 87 mustang Gt 5speed many years ago but due to it running like crap i took it back and got my money. So ive given the mustang plenty of chances and after each test drive its always a disappointment. Hopefully with the new Mach 1 and coming up the 400hp mustangs for next year stated above will solve it and give the mustang its big lead.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 06-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Black
    2000 TA

I believe it was a 2005 mustang with aftermarket mufflers. The manual they tested last year was a 2005 wth factory exhaust, and brand new.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

after driving many cars looking for a reliable replacement for my ws.6; the mustang (last car i finally reluctantly went to drive) won. I may not beat you at the track; but for a DD--feels just as fast in 5 speed form but also has much upgraded interior, no squeaks, no rattles, and so far not one repair warranty or otherwise--so no hastle. I will have another f-bod; and prolly a y too , but for now this is the best balance between performance, quality, reliablilty, and value out there with a warranty. No need to bash--i would love to have the looks and performance of the f-bod instead...but when these other factors are important any reasonable person has to agree that Ford got it right....that's why they've sold so many...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I saw the show too and thought the same things.

Seems like it's the late 70's, early 80's again. Gas prices went up, Tree huggers in power, Detriot on it's ass, making POS cars. Muscle cars dying or making you wish they were dead. Glad I got mine. I drive it with head up and like proud Dad watching his kid score!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    after driving many cars looking for a reliable replacement for my ws.6; the mustang (last car i finally reluctantly went to drive) won. I may not beat you at the track; but for a DD--feels just as fast in 5 speed form but also has much upgraded interior, no squeaks, no rattles, and so far not one repair warranty or otherwise--so no hastle. I will have another f-bod; and prolly a y too , but for now this is the best balance between performance, quality, reliablilty, and value out there with a warranty. No need to bash--i would love to have the looks and performance of the f-bod instead...but when these other factors are important any reasonable person has to agree that Ford got it right....that's why they've sold so many...
    I agree with everything except the bold print. I don't think Ford got it right. The whole idea behind the muscle cars and pony cars was speed. Muscle cars came from the big 3 taking small cars and cramming a big motor in them. If you wanted pretty dash lights and a sweet interior then you looked elsewhere. My brother had an 85 GT that I loved. That car at the time was spanking pretty much anything on the roads. I hate that 4.6 motor and is the main reason I looked at an f-body when I wanted a performance car.

Thread Information