Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Holy water pump batman

I drove about 300 mile round trip today. half way there i pulled over for gas and noticed a drip once every couple second. water! but the radiator was full and so was the over flow tank. i bought a couple gallons of water and headed off. I noticed when i stopped the temp would rise fast, when i ran over 60 temp was 180, 30-60mph 210 if i stop starts heading to red. Still drips, and still a full tank of water....maybe broken blades/spinner in the pump...who fuckin know man. here comes a new pump, any suggestion on what else i should replace while i got it broke down?
    ?R/A Hood, SPL lid, SLP Bellows, OBX Headers w/ Off road Y pipe, SLP Loud Mouth II, HyperTech Tune, MSD Wires, 3.73 10 bolt, Brembo Rotors, Eibach Sportlines, Bilsteen HD Shocks, 35mm fr 25mm r sway bar.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

New pump maybe and a thermostat couldn't hurt either. Check all the hoses for bulges etc. If the pump is leaking from the weep holes it's time to go. Fortunately not a bad job on the LS1.

black
    1994 camaro z28 a4

yeah make sure u replace ur thermostat once ur at it

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

no thermo at this time, i took it out. But plan on the 160. got a hypertech unit to set it up. under drive pullies???

98 Formula
    06 duramax

pulley doesn't have to come off for a water pump swap but if you wanted to swap it you'll be just a few inches above it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

AC Condensor Drip.... if its water it IS this.

My temp stays at 170-195 cruising usually. Depends on how hot it is. If I stop it instantly rises..

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

My temp stays at 170-195 cruising usually. Depends on how hot it is. If I stop it instantly rises..

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

True there is no water in there. Are you sure you are seeing Dexcool? Why would you remove the thermostat??

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

correct me if im wrong guys i don't pretend to be a master mechanic, but all a thermostat does is bring the coolant temp up it to operating temp faster. running without one doesn't hurt anything if its only ran during the summer. since a cooler engine is better on performance taking the thermostat out would increase flow and theologically increase performance. like i said correct me if im wrong on this, i wouldnt do it just because i drive my camaro till it snows and up her in Michigan it can get really cold for a while before it snows so i like my heat sooner.
    Chris

2000 Camaro SS - ported BBK throttle body, ls6 intake, granatelli MAF, yank 3,500 stall torque converter, Texas Speed Torquer 3 cam, hedmann headers and y-pipe, slp intake lid, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, gasket matched heads, dyno tuned, built trans, UMI 3-point SFC. 11.58sec

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 00camaro16 View Post
    correct me if im wrong guys i don't pretend to be a master mechanic, but all a thermostat does is bring the coolant temp up it to operating temp faster. running without one doesn't hurt anything if its only ran during the summer. since a cooler engine is better on performance taking the thermostat out would increase flow and theologically increase performance. like i said correct me if im wrong on this, i wouldnt do it just because i drive my camaro till it snows and up her in Michigan it can get really cold for a while before it snows so i like my heat sooner.
    You are wrong.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    You are wrong.
    well would you mind correcting me so i may learn?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

The thermostat does not cool the engine, it keeps the temperature up to the thermostat's rating. The radiator cools the coolant. The thermostat both keeps the radiator from over-cooling the coolant, and it restricts flow so that the coolant stays in the cooling jacket long enough to absorb heat before going to the radiator to shed it. Once the motor reaches operating temperature, the thermostat will open and close continuously to hold it at that temperature. It'll close down on the freeway when your airflow is highest through the radiator, and it'll open more at idle or when under load to allow more heat absorption and rejection. Also with no thermostat you can have coolant spewed threw the overflow container after shutting the car off which may be why the OP is seeing some on the ground. Put a thermostat back in it.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

ok i get it now, thank you.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I would recomend a "fail Safe Thermostat" I bought one, but I havent installed yet.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post

^ yep. theres no water in the water pump other than the mixture in the coolant. if its leaking water most likely its the ac. but if you think its leaking coolant, have it pressure tested and find out whats leaking. dont just blindly replace parts.
    Last edited by mpfranks; 02-08-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Do the cooling fans come on when the temperature gets above 205*?

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Well heres the update, it doesnt leak anymore...and its cold here cold its not the AC, plus there was wate all over the belts and front og the engine. i just put more water in it and...fix.
    Ok my guess is, after driving about 130 miles i pulled over to refuel and noticed the drip and water everywhere. I have a 3.73 A4 ad was funning 80+ the whole way at 2800 RPM (roughly) its possible the constant higher than normal rpm resulted in overpressure or maybe the pulley was slipping...that sounds dumb or maybe the pump blades are not effeicent at higher rpms, most crusing rpms are aroung 1500-2000. But it hold water and heats well, and stays at 170f.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

The AC runs in defrost mode to reduce humidity. If you are not loosing coolant and not over heating and have a drip. If it's on the driver side probably from the AC.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    The AC runs in defrost mode to reduce humidity. If you are not loosing coolant and not over heating and have a drip. If it's on the driver side probably from the AC.
    Correct!!
    I know in some GM vehicles.. example. my gfs 01 cavalier, when the defroster in on, the AC light kicks on. I had to explain this to her as well.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

ok ok, im not a newb, it is not A/C, i know all about that shit. Its not the A/C. there was water all over the front of the engine. I will have to break it apart and inspect.

Thread Information