Higher mileage TA, Need help figuring out what to

What's up everyone, I am looking to grab up a Ta of some type 96-02, general questions and opinions please. since the car is going to have higher miles on it, 50,000 -90,000 is my limit. I want to plan ahead on what small things to fix for my piece of mind.
    The car is going to be a weekend car/drag car it will not be my DD so a cam/ fI set up will come in the next year or so. I just want a car that I can learn to mod myself, spend a little time on and be able to say I did that. I am planning on a 6 speed, LS1, mileage between 40,000 -90,000. Over all I would like some help to prepare for small things that are going to be a must to fix right away. I don't really care to have everything done right away, I'll take it slow learning as I go.

Here is what I would do for sure

change all fluids in the engine, tranny, rear. Do any free mods like air-dam and lid, mufflers.

I need help planning for dumb things to update like gaskets and seals, I have no clue what goes first in these cars, nor any car.

If anyone can tell me what good basic upgrades will be necessary I would appreciate it.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

98 up is more desireable because it has the LS1 and 01-02 is most desireable because it has LS6 IM and stronger rodbolts... Cliffnotes you need to search....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

like he said.....I would raise my minimum year to a 98 at least. In 98 the LS1 started which was leaps and bounds better than the LT1 that came before it. The LS1 is also a pretty durable motor and if you get one that's had the maintenance kept up on it you should be fine with just keeping up regualar maintenance stuff on it. Fluids, filters, belts, and hoses.

i don't care to much about the lt1, it would be stroked if i was to get one. I have owned a few lsx cars, just not past 40,000 miles. just found a nice 2000 ta today, if i have time this comming week i'll pick it up. i'ts been 1/ 12 years since i had my gto

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Yea optispark is enough reason to avoid an LTcar IMHO.... Been there done that.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    Yea optispark is enough reason to avoid an LTcar IMHO.... Been there done that.....
    agreed

white
    2000 Z28

120k and pulls very well. but im starting to get used to the power. mechanically these cars are very sound in stock trim and assuming all maintainance is done. but for a t/athe simple stuff is like the headlight motors for the fliplights and the door panel cracks. when you put out more power its rear end, clutch for the manuals and tranny, rear end for the autos. especially when you get into suspension work and actually put the power to the ground. motor wise there arent any real specific reason for an ls to go out. some do here and there but most if maintained will go way past 100k even taking a beating.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

These cars are VERY reliable for the type of cars they are.

There is not anything that I would say is MUST other than making sure you get a vehicle that has been well maintained. Once you have one you are serious about, post it up here and everyone will be glad to look it over.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

no, rear end for the m6's bubba
    check the diff and see if it drips, could be ready to go if that is the case.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    120k and pulls very well. but im starting to get used to the power. mechanically these cars are very sound in stock trim and assuming all maintainance is done. but for a t/athe simple stuff is like the headlight motors for the fliplights and the door panel cracks. when you put out more power its rear end, clutch for the manuals and tranny, rear end for the autos. especially when you get into suspension work and actually put the power to the ground. motor wise there arent any real specific reason for an ls to go out. some do here and there but most if maintained will go way past 100k even taking a beating.
    its there, it just says manual not m6

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    cool cool, ls1 it is ha ha, read a little more about the old lt. well work is sucking the life out of my time, got work to play. Woman just brought up the idea for new bedroom set. Damn been married for one month lol. it's all good i am in no rush, besides just wanting something just to have it. thanks for the help guys. Per the gto forms, most people on here know there shit and don't F-around, so glad to be here.

Thread Information