Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

High Speed + cold = kaboom?

It was like 24 degrees out today, being idiot I am, I get in my car and decide hey I want to feel that cold air power. Car was dead cold, oils still thick what not. Drove like 100 yards, then pinned it. Once I got to 120 I put it in sixth gear and just held it there cruising. Long straight stretch of road.

Anywho, I heard vibrating like mad, thought it was just ice throwing a tire off balance. So I kept going. Turned radio down and realized it was coming from the car itself.

I pulled over and first thing I did was put it in neutral. Then try to put it in reverse. Won't go! It's a m6 btw. Then tried all six gears, no luck getting in any of them. Was going to get out of car to check shit out make sure fluids aren't flowing. But when I had it in neutral, let clutch out to get out of car it started to grab, as if it was in some gear. Shut car off, get out check, no fluids.

Then I just chilled for a bit, got back in car after letting shit chill. Put it in reverse, got it in reverse, let clutch out, didn't do shit. rpms going up to 2000 me still not feeling any drag and clutch is all out. Push clutch in, got it in first, then up to 4th and crawled home.

Before I got out, I put it in neutral and let clutch out, it was still grabbing like it was in gear.

Oh, and the sound it was making sounded like someone using an exhaust pipe to play drums on. Actually same sound my drive shaft made when I snapped that off last year as it turned and beat against the exhaust.

Any ideas what is wrong? Tranny was apart just 40K ago to replace reverse gear/syncro. And car was perfect before this. No issues.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sounds like the trany is hosed to me.. Beating on ice cold equipment is always a bad idea..

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

No question about it: High speed + cold = Kaboom.

I don't know what could be wrong but with my 98 (M6) when it gets below 50 the tranny doesn't like going into reverse. I have to go thru 1-2 to get it to go smoothly into reverse.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

It seems like your clutch is out or a broken TOB could cause issues. Pull the trans and see what's going on clutch wise and trans wise. Should let the car warm up before you hammer on it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I pulled over and first thing I did was put it in neutral. Then try to put it in reverse. Won't go! It's a m6 btw. Then tried all six gears, no luck getting in any of them.
    When you say you couldn't get any of the six gears, do you mean the shifter won't go into gear, or the shifter moves into gear like normal but the car doesn't move??

But when I had it in neutral, let clutch out to get out of car it started to grab, as if it was in some gear.

Before I got out, I put it in neutral and let clutch out, it was still grabbing like it was in gear.
    This problem sounds like something is really messed up inside the transmission.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Shifter would not physically move into gear...even with clutch down and pushing hard. But drive home it didn't slip and clutch felt the same when I let it out to start movinh

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Slave stuck??
    Or master gave out?

Pedal pressure normal?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Shifter would not physically move into gear...even with clutch down and pushing hard. But drive home it didn't slip and clutch felt the same when I let it out to start movinh
    Ok, I'm thinking you should start by trying to fix the clutch then. Maybe the fluid level is low which is usually a leaking slave. Its not a bad idea to just do the slave and the master at the same time.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ouch! I had to re-read the first post. I started to think a clutch spring or part of the pressure plate gave out. Hopefully it's a small fix.

And no more cold driving. Let the car warm up from now on.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Between rents car and bro's I haven't been in a rush to fix it. But taking it in tomorrow. Yesterday I decided to take it for a drive just to see what's what, as I did manage to drive back home after it happened.

Get in, start it up. Car in neutral. Let clutch out, I hear that nasty grinding and grabbing in neutral. Every gear change sounded nasty with hints of grinding. Babied it till it was warm, under 30mph driving. Then I decided to go out of town with it. About 50mph in sixth with 3.42 gears, so low rpm, the noise was really noticible. I would best describe it as imagine someone taking a nail and non stop scratching back and forth on a piece of flat stock carbon steel. It was constant, but if I let off the gas and allowed it to coast, it went away. It was loud when it did it though. Decided to try and give it half throttle. Thing shuddered like crazy but never put the power down. Freaked me out so I came straight home.

Oh, and reverse remained the same, let clutch out and it wouldn't even wiggle the car. And I just had entire reverse gear replaced 40k ago. Syncro's, the works. Brand new everything for reverse.

Oh, and clutch fluid level was perfect. Pedal pressure is fine.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Dang, that sounds bad. Something must be coming apart inside the transmission.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Just incase people don't read aag...something came apart in the transmission. Transmission is destroyed.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    No question about it: High speed + cold = Kaboom.

I don't know what could be wrong but with my 98 (M6) when it gets below 50 the tranny doesn't like going into reverse. I have to go thru 1-2 to get it to go smoothly into reverse.
    Same for mine, but I am going to change out my master with a tick and try the ls7 set up first to see if thats my problem.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Just incase people don't read aag...something came apart in the transmission. Transmission is destroyed.
    Bummer. got any pics of the destruction?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Bummer. got any pics of the destruction?
    x2

what broke?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm gonna guess and say key ways, and/or synchros..?
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information