Help! Try to fix turn signals again, really messed

Brief history ... about 1 year ago my turn signal wouldn't cancel, so I decided to fix it myself. Not realizing how the clock spring worked, I ended up killing it and taking out the airbag computer. Got it all working again.

About a month ago it stopped again, took it apart thinking it was the springs again, but it turned out to be the cam.

In the last few days the other signal stopped working. So I took it apart, both springs were fine, cam is almost new ... not sure the problem. So I put it back together but forgot to take the tape off of the clock spring, learned since my first time.

Here's where I really messed up -- I assumed my torque wrench was still set since I had just worked on the steering wheel, but it I had tightened a wheel lug nut so it was at 100, not 32. When I put my steering wheel puller on it ended up breaking off the tip, embedding it into the end of the steering column. I turned the wheel back and forth and was able to pull the tape off through the gaps. I did take it for a quick test drive ... of course now neither signal cancels. Now my questions are:

1. I don't want to kill my airbags again - did I mess up my clock spring turning the wheel with some tape on it? I haven't plugged the airbag back in yet.

2. How to I get the tip of the wheel puller out of the steering column and get the overtightened nut off?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'm confused. did you break the steering wheel puller?

Or the lock plate compressor

It was the puller ... it had a point on it that went into the indention at the end of the steering column. The tip twisted off and is embedded into the column. It looks like it's some kind of coated piece, probably not the strongest. I've ordered a new puller, that one uses more like a flat bolt without the tip that I think should work. Still now sure what's wrong with my signals, but hopefully I get at least get the wheel off again, it's on there pretty good now.

Picture of the damage ... and a picture of the original set, I didn't use the piece that's over the tip, maybe I should have.

http://www.merlinsoftware.com/filestore/DSCF1065.JPG
    http://www.merlinsoftware.com/filestore/steering.jpg

I tried to reply but it's hung up for review since it had links to pictures.

It is the puller from the top picture. Mine had a cap at the end you could take off and it had a point. That's how I used it, and the tip twisted off and is embedded in the indention at the end of the steering column. I ordered a new one, this one uses more like a flat bolt, so hopefully that will work as long as everything holds, worried that the two bolt holes on either side on the wheel are getting beat up, and it's on there really well right now. And then I still have the original problem that now both of my signals don't cancel....

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You may have to drill out the embedded tip. Get some screw extractors/easy-outs and they will do the job, providing you have a drill. I don't see a problem with the signals not cancelling since you left the tape on.

My concern with the tape was that when I fixed my signals 1.5 years ago I didn't tape it, and killed my clock spring, which killed my ABS computer and had to replace both of them. I can't quite remember how that all worked now, I think it's okay but i want to make sure the spring didn't get out of assignment when I turned the wheel back and forth to get the tape off.

Not sure why when I put it back together now both signals don't cancel, not just one. A month ago I put in brand new springs and turn signal cam, and I know the springs aren't broken. Not sure what else can be replaced?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Maybe the springs got compressed by the tape?

An update ... I was able to get the wheel off. I got my new puller which used all standard bolts. It bent some bolts and twisted the head off the main bolt, but I got the the highest quality bolts I could find at the hardware store and those worked. Will pick up new springs and a cam and see if it fixes the cancel problem, even though I just but new ones in a month ago. Otherwise I'm out of ideas. I don't know why it keeps failing, this is the 3rd time in a year and a half. Never had this problem on my old camaro or my grand am.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Maybe you need a new turn signal switch and not the cancel cam.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Maybe you need a new turn signal switch and not the cancel cam.
    Click for full size
    Ya know, I assumed he already had that part. I changed that part on my old Beretta when it went. If he doesn't have the new switch...oh boy. All that work and stress for nothing.

Everything is working now, thanks. I picked up new springs and a new cam. The old cam was in a beat-up package that looked like it had been on the shelf for a while. The new ones from the actual Help brand. I don't know if the other brand was defective or just poor quality, but so far so good. Airbags work fine, too.

Thread Information