help replace differential seal

Hello. I own a 2001 Camaro Z28. There is a leak where the pinion exits the diff case, you know what i mean, there is a seal there. I had to add about 10 ounces of diff fluid yesterday. I want to replace the seal. What do you call that seal, whats its proper name?
    where can I view/read repair procedure?
    what special removal/install tools are needed to get the old seal out and the new one in if any?

Ive never messed with rear ends. I was hoping that I remove the four bolts that hold the shaft to the yoke, is it? pinion yoke? thing that sticks out of the diff. get the short shaft that goes inside the diff out of the way, some how, idk how. remove the seal, not sure how to do that, reverse everything.

just want to do this right, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
    -Jason
    Last edited by bladerunnerss; 09-22-2008 at 06:22 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunnerss View Post
    Hello. I own a 2001 Camaro Z28. There is a leak where the pinion exits the diff case, you know what i mean, there is a seal there. I had to add about 10 ounces of diff fluid yesterday. I want to replace the seal. What do you call that seal, whats its proper name?
    where can I view/read repair procedure?
    what special removal/install tools are needed to get the old seal out and the new one in if any?

Ive never messed with rear ends. I was hoping that I remove the four bolts that hold the shaft to the yoke, is it? pinion yoke? thing that sticks out of the diff. get the short shaft that goes inside the diff out of the way, some how, idk how. remove the seal, not sure how to do that, reverse everything.

just want to do this right, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
    -Jason
    Its more complicated than it looks. What you have to remove is the pinion nut and companion flange. Basically you remove the driveshaft, take the nut off the flange, use a 2 or 3 jaw puller to remove the flange, and then you can get to the seal. Thats the easy part.

The problem is that when you remove and reinstall the pinion nut, you are changing the torque on the pinion shaft, which directly affects the pinion depth and the gear mesh of the ring and pinion. For this reason, I'd reccommend you bring it to a professional, since you say you have no experience with rear ends.

Pinion seal

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

wesman is correct. you'll need a puller. a regular harmonic balancer puller will work. also an impact wrench. if your set doing it yourself, you can get some white out(liquid paper) stuff and make a mark across the nut and pinion shaft so you know how tite it was. when you put the seal in you'll need a seal driver so you dont ruin it installing it. when you tighten the nut i always go just a lil bit tighter on it, make your line that you drew not line up by going just a lil more. be carefull tho, you could be buying a whole new rear end if you dont put it together correctly

thats what i was thinking too.

ok here is the next question. can you recommend, by name, anyone in the ny metro area who works at a GM service center that can preform the necessary operations correctly?

id rather dish out the coin to have it done than
    become trapped in a partial repair that I mess up.

Thread Information