black
    1997 T/A WS6

help with rear end?

i dont know anything about this! its sad. i bought the car and drove it home, 2 days later i get in it and drive it and its slowly starting to make a howling noise from the rear. only when im on the gas. we check it out and my pinion seal is junk, and its dry. so we replace the pinion seal and fill her back up, and it still sounds like shit. and getting worse. a lot worse. its insanely loud now and making noise no matter if im on the gas or not now.. ive been told to get new gears and shim it? im looking for 3.73 gears. but idk what else i need to know before i buy them. its a 10 bolt rear end. i just dont know what "series carrier" i have? or if its 7.5 or 8.5?? what does all this crap mean? the rear end is not out of an F body car. idk what its out of. im guessing it has stock gears now? cuz in 6th gear im at 1700 rpm movin 70 mph down the highway.

i wanna learn more about this car. if you can help itd be appreciated! i gotta fix it!! sorry for the novel

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

Take a look at your build codes on the driver's door. There are sites where you can get a breakdown. Taht will tell you which rear end you have. More that likely it's a 7.5" ring gear. the whole rear end needs to be disassembled and cleaned before anything new goes in. I've never had to do any rear end work so I won't try to go into any details. Good luck.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Ok first ? Do you beat on the car? Sounds like mine when my before it blew. I wouldn't waste money if you play with the car.

black
    1997 T/A WS6

thing is its not an f body rear end. so i dont think the codes will matter. and yeah, i beat on the car. thats what i bought it for. but if its makin noise and bout to go why shouldnt i waste the money on it?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

So it has an aftermarket rear? Its not the regular ol' 10 bolt?

black
    1997 T/A WS6

its a 10 bolt. but when i had it apart i took a couple parts up to the local ls1 guru and he told me its not even from an fbody.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

First I would check the housing for codes stamped into it. That would help you determine what it is. What rear did you get a pinion seal for?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Post some pics of the diff cover area, some of the whole rear end, or the pieces you have apart. Then we can tell you what it is...hopefully.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

let me help you out with your rear end and drive shaft problems, this is the best price that I have ever in my life come across with free shipping.http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=148 best rear end you can buy, and you can have it set up exactly how you want it.

black
    1997 T/A WS6

i just took in the old pinion seal and we ran the number on it and got a new one. for some reason there was some kind of sleeve pressed on to the yoke, idk what its called. kind of like a speedy sleeve but it was too thick to be one. either way we took it off and just got a normal pinion seal and they told me it was the stock one for my car. but when i took the yoke into my local ls1 guy he told me its not stock to the fbody car? idk if just the yoke is diff or what. i just assumed since it is not stock the rear end wasnt either. and thanks Blue but thats just a lil out of my price range. i only gave 2500 for this car anyways lol

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

well just throwing it out their, cause I was looking at other websites and for just a 9 inch rear with gears and the axles it was 3500, you can get the 9in with gears axles and drive shaft for 3100, I am sure the price wont change, but just throwing it out their just in case you ever wanted to keep that in mind.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Btw I just seen the pics of you t/a and you got a steal on that booger, how many miles is on it. It looks damn good for the price you paid and its age.

black
    1997 T/A WS6

it reads 182000 on the odometer. who knows about the engine n tranny. only bad is it has a rebuilt title. deer jumped out in front of it. so i have some work to do on the front. good thing theyre all glass! lol. i traded the 24s off my denali and some cash for it. its fun. i appreciate the help tho. i wish i had the cash to build the hell out of it. maybe someday

Thread Information