Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MARRON
    2000 camaro Z28

Angry Help Needed Oil Leak

Hello, Everyone,

I need some help with my oil leak on my 2000 camaro Z28. Oil leaks between the motor and trans, starts of heavy then slows down a bit , I have had the rear main seal replaced twice already and still leaks between motor and trans. I replaced the OSU and still leaks. The value cover gaskets are good no leaks there. no leakis in front of car only in the back. I have looked all over the car top and bottom and cannot see where it is coming from. Where else could it be coming from. maybe oil pan gasket? any hep would be apprecaited.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

It's possible you may have a bad pan gasket. It wouldn't hurt to double check the OPSU, as that is a notorious cause of leaks on the back side of the motor. It's a tight area, but if you can try to narrow down if it's coming from the upper or lower part of the engine, that will narrow down your options for leak sources.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I thought our rear main was weeping, but after swapping the transmission last summer I found that it was actually the oil pan gasket that was the culprit. Did you remove the rear cover when the seal was replaced? If so, it is possible that you have an alignment issue that is causing or exacerbating your leak.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I would look into the oil pan gasket first then the OPSU. The rear main should last for years if it was installed correctly.

MARRON
    2000 camaro Z28

Help Needed Oil Leak

Thanks Guys, I guess iwill be taking off the oil pan gasket this afternoon.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Let us know what you find.

MARRON
    2000 camaro Z28

Angry Help Needed Oil Leak

I took off and replaced the oil pan gasket, rechecked the OPSU, replaced the cam position sensor, crank position sensor and there is still a leak not as bad but still there. I guess I am going to have to pull out engine and rebuild the whole thing, or do an engine swap. not really sure at this point. very fustrasted....

Thanks..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

if you put the new gasket in, Did you add the dabs of RTV where the back and front of the oil pan meets with the front and rear cover of the engine? I read of people having issues with mis aligned RMS. Some people had to use a special alignment tool. I changed my oil pan gasket and I still have a small leak on the rear. I haven't changed the RMS yet. I did noticed that I was leaking around the oil pan again and the bolts of the oil pan were loose. I retighten them and cleaned everything. I will keep an eye to see if it stops.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am guessing the rear cover plate or an alignment issue for the rear main seal at this point. The problem is that driving the car with an oil leak pushes the oil around and makes it very difficult to determine the source. Best thing to do is clean the underside carefully with something like spray brake cleaner and then run the engine with the car in the air while you look for the source of the leak. How much is it actually leaking now?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

^^This.

Red
    2000 Z28 SS

I have a leak as well got to get it on a lift ......How in the world do you get to the OPSU ....Do you wait for the car to be cool and lay across the engine and wipe the OPSU area with a paper towel or If you get it in the air can you determine its from the top ......My luck its NOT A Valve Cover or a OPSU... Uses about 1/2 quart per two fill up's , but I drive it like I stole it ...... Has anyone had any luck with a seal conditioner .......Just asking

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OPSU sits just behind the intake on the drivers side.

Most ppl have to take the intake off to gain access but with small hands you might be able to get to it. You will need a OPSU socket goes for about $10 at any parts store.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

OPSU is very easy to break off so be darn careful. I would get a telescoping mirrow and a flashlight -- you should be able to at least get a good look at it before tearing into things.

Red
    2000 Z28 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    OPSU sits just behind the intake on the drivers side.

Most ppl have to take the intake off to gain access but with small hands you might be able to get to it. You will need a OPSU socket goes for about $10 at any parts store.
    My hands are anything but small .....laffin .....Thanks for the info .....Really hope it's this and not a main seal......Kid at the oil change place said it looked like rear main but they wouldn't let me in there to look .......Heck I have been working on cars longer then he's been alive ......Wish it was in a C5 Vette Z06 as it would be real easy to look at

Red
    2000 Z28 SS

Thanks for the mirror flashlight idea ....Got amirror out and looked under it and there was some oil on the oil filter ......The car was hot and it was About 98 degrees out .....My brother has a lift so will have to check on it above and below .......Right now got a rock crawler on it for a few weeks so will just keep adding oil and or see if one of my friends can get their hand on it and see if the OPSU Is leaking ........Man that engine is way under the cowl .....Damn engineers .....Wish they actually worked on a few cars ....Things would get a lot simpler

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

They do make it a challenge. It's a good idea to pop the plastic pins up that secure the cowl seal when you are working on the top side. Those little buggers will shred your hands in a hurry.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I just cut them off an 1/8th of an inch below the cowl with pliers. No more bleeding hands

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I raised the front of my car with floor jacks with jack stands and crawled underneath to find oil all over the place. Mainly toward the rear of the engine. I suspect that the gap between the rear cover and the block is not perfectly aligned and perhaps they didn't use sealant. Valve covers are not leaking. I checked the oil pan bolts for 18 FT.LBS of torque and they were all good, so, I just wiped everything I could get to down and will have to wait til I rebuild it to get it sealed up tight. Very aggravating leaving drops of oil everywhere I park!
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I raised the front of my car with floor jacks with jack stands and crawled underneath to find oil all over the place. Mainly toward the rear of the engine. I suspect that the gap between the rear cover and the block is not perfectly aligned and perhaps they didn't use sealant. Valve covers are not leaking. I checked the oil pan bolts for 18 FT.LBS of torque and they were all good, so, I just wiped everything I could get to down and will have to wait til I rebuild it to get it sealed up tight. Very aggravating leaving drops of oil everywhere I park!
    So I have a 2002 Silverado 1500HD with the 6.0. Had a terrible oil leak that was coating the underside of the vehicle. I was told by several shops that it was the rear main seal. Took it to a buddy's place and he put it up on a lift while running and found something like an oil galley plug that uses a 3/8 in Allen wrench had backed out until about 2 threads were left. Was an extremely tight fit. He basically cut the end of an Allen wrench off and used a box wrench to tighten it. Was above the oil cooler and leaking down the oil filter on the back of the engine mostly on the drivers side. Just something to consider...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Thanks, will take a look at it! There was an oil drip on my oil filter. Might be it.!!!

Thread Information