black
    2001 Trans Am

Help with my Turn Signals

HELP!! On my 01 T/A the passenger side turn signals and brake lights are out. The drivers side works great, but when I hit the turn signals on the passenger side, I get a solid light on the dash and in the front. The rear is dead. When the switch is thrown, something behind the dash that sounds like a relay clicks once and it is not the flasher that is clicking.

I have replaced the following
    1. Front bulb
    2. Front Socket (had corroded badly)
    3. Both rear turn / brake bulbs.

Here is the kicker, I was playing with the steering wheel with the turn signal engaged and if I hit the tilt and moved the wheel a small amount, I was able to get the rear to light and blink on two different occassions. I am thinking it may be a bad turn signal switch, but it seems like it is sending a signal. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and can confirm this before I mess with the airbag and take the column apart. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

Red
    2002 T/A

I had probs w/both front turn signal lenses. They cracked and let moisture and rain in and constantly blew my bulbs out. I would just replace bulbs evertime my turn signal would stop flashing. Turn signals stop flashing due to the reduced current flow from blown bulbs in the circuit, but that's for a different post. One day I replaced what I thought was a burned out bulb. It turns out that the pigtail connector was corroded beyond repair. So I replaced it and the lenses with aftermarket OEM lenses (OE ones cracked after six months new ones going strong after 3+ yrs) to keep the water out. Long story short. Replace bulbs, check all lenses and bulb housings for cracks or leaks, replace corroded connectors and get rid of that crappy GM flasher and get an electronic flasher from Autozone($8-$9). Unless your procifient with a multimeter and can check for voltage drops and the like I would start with these small repairs that won't brake the bank.
    My .02

black
    2001 Trans Am

Finally fixed it.

Well, I finally got it fixed today. It turned out to be the turn signal switch in the column. After locating a wiring diagram and tracing the circuit, here is what I learned. If you are having problems with the front lights only, it could be anything. It is most probably a bulb and/or socket. Since I had the brake lights and rear turn signals out, the only common point that the rear lights share with the fronts is at the turn signal switch. The flasher feeds the switch as does the DRL module. Neither have a link to the rear assembly. The switch is a double throw switch that takes the signal from the flasher and splits it to the front and rear. When any of the lamps go out it disables the pulse from the flasher and does not blink. After replacing the switch all is at 100%. I did take the opportunity to change out both sockets and all the bulbs and I still need to replace both lenses but at least I won't get a ticket until then.

Thanks LS1 2002 for the response. That got me thinking and running down the signal.

Dave.

Red
    2002 T/A

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mustngdave View Post
    Thanks LS1 2002 for the response. That got me thinking and running down the signal.

Dave.
    Sweet! Glad to hear.

Thread Information