Help KNOCK SENSOR

Hello all i need some help i have a 02 ws6 with 25000 i was told the car was parked for about 2yrs now i just bought the car and the engine soon light went off so i took it to the steelership and they told me i need to replace the KNOCK SENSOR or i will have to replace the engine in a short time, was wonderinf if that is true do i need to have they replaced ASAP what do they do ?

Is it bad i bought a car with low miles that has been sitting in someone Garage once i get though this problem will i have more because the car was sitting for a long time the owner did tell me that he did start it up and let it run , the engine does sound very strong ansd runs good but the light is still on i have found no over problem yet but only place 75 miles since i bought the car

Thanks in advance for all your help

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

Yeah if it is your knock sensor, I'd replace it tomarrow if it were me.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Quote Originally Posted by TA421 View Post
    Hello all i need some help i have a 02 ws6 with 25000 i was told the car was parked for about 2yrs now i just bought the car and the engine soon light went off so i took it to the steelership and they told me i need to replace the KNOCK SENSOR or i will have to replace the engine in a short time, was wonderinf if that is true do i need to have they replaced ASAP what do they do ?

Is it bad i bought a car with low miles that has been sitting in someone Garage once i get though this problem will i have more because the car was sitting for a long time the owner did tell me that he did start it up and let it run , the engine does sound very strong ansd runs good but the light is still on i have found no over problem yet but only place 75 miles since i bought the car

Thanks in advance for all your help

what type of mods have been done....headers? Ypipe?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Knock sensors are not something to mess around with, get them replaced ASAP.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

If I were you I would DEFINATELY get that fixed ASAP. Cause you will really screw up a nice WS6 if you don't. And that would be a shame.

2000 Trans Am

What exactly is a knock sensor? And what does it do? And where is it located? is there any other way you can tell if the knock sensor is bad besides the "ses' light?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

if the car was sitting for two yrs would that make them go bad ? did the seller know they were bad and there are other problems with the car ? as far as i know the only mods that were done where SLP air filter and a few things up front to get more air in the engine and the pipes were changed with SLP wide pipes

will there be other problems once i replace them because the car was sitting ? is there a good warranty i should buy for this car thanks again for all your help

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

Those extra warranties are a joke and they void very easilly. The knock sensor is located on the driverside front of the engine just under the header

I was told that there are two knock sensor that have to be replaced the stealerships wants 800 to replace both of them and a gastket kit ?

There are two knock sensors - both under the intake manifold. If you go to the LS6 intake install guide at www.ls1howto.com you can see pics of them with the intake off. If I was removing the intake I'd replace both of them.

Hi again I was told that bad gas might cause them to read bad knock sensors by misfireing one of the plugs can this be true , i was told to drive the car around and burn a few tanks of gas then reset the code and see what happens ,

The car was sitting for 2 yrs

Did the dealership do a complete diagnostic on them or just give you a price for replacement? www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9363.php

the steelership gave me a price to replace the knock sensors they said you dont just replace one you need to do both at the same time , anothe person told me it might be bad/old gas in there yet causing a misfire that the sensor is taking as a PING and setting it off

As far as i know the steelership read the code and reset the code and it triped off again in about 30 miles later

The gearchatter site says the MIL should turn off after three consecutive ignition cycles and test runs without a failure - so you shouldn't need to run several tanks if it was bad gas. If you're having misfires that would throw other codes (P03XX) too? You're running 93 right? JMO but if it was my car I'd take it to the dealer and ask for a COMPLETE diagnostic to be SURE it was a knock sensor (not just read/clear the code), ensure it's not a mechanical issue, and pay their fee - then replace them myself using the ls1howto guide - I've helped to a couple LS6 intake installs and it's not hard. Again JMO.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrectformula View Post
    Those extra warranties are a joke and they void very easilly. The knock sensor is located on the driverside front of the engine just under the header
    The knock sensors are under the valley cover, which is under the intake manifold, not by the header.

I was told that there are two knock sensor that have to be replaced the stealerships wants 800 to replace both of them and a gastket kit ?
    Absolute robbery!

The labor isn't hard, and the sensors are fairly cheap at a local parts store.

if the car was sitting for two yrs would that make them go bad ? did the seller know they were bad and there are other problems with the car ? as far as i know the only mods that were done where SLP air filter and a few things up front to get more air in the engine and the pipes were changed with SLP wide pipes

will there be other problems once i replace them because the car was sitting ? is there a good warranty i should buy for this car thanks again for all your help
    I doubt that the seller sold the car because of knock sensors being bad. Its jsut a sensor that has gone bad and can be replaced very easily. Its something you want to get fixed ASAP but its not a spun bearing at this point either. If you know how to use a ratchet and aren't afraid of getting a few cuts go to your local parts store, buy the replacement sensors and fix it yourself and save yourself several hundreds of dollars.

Yea me too i was wondering now if there is a list of problems with the car he told me he was selling it because he does not drive it anymore he had it park in his garage it looks sharp was wondering thats all i just bought her on saturday and monday the light went off i did not drive her on sunday hope this is a easy fix i am going to taker the car to another place and have them go over the car and see what is happening with it , my wife is not all happy with the car it does not make a good family car lol but it sure make me happy if i was not having problems already

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't suppose you know the exact code it was throwing do you? Dude, knock sensors are very easy to replace. Your first time it *may* take you 2 hours or so from start to finish with a beer and bathroom break thrown in there. I understand though if you're not mechanically inclined. Personally, I would buy some tools and a book and become inclined. It'll save you tons of money down the road. Post up the code if you know it. The light is currently off?

i think the code is 1647 they told me the sensors is LOW frequency then they have a bunch of different numbers 1258967 and 18026298 and 88899570 if needed 12454993 i think they are part numbers but maybe they are codes the olny other number they have down on the repair order is DTC PO332 knock sensor

No the light was reset the first time and came back on about 30 miles later the next day

I am bring the car to another place to have them look it over i will find out what codes are tripping the light

Thread Information