Cyclone Gray & Black
    2004 Black GTO,71 Formula

Exclamation help Key Switch problem HELP! (LONG)

hope this is the right forum. if it isn't please let me know and i'll either move it or someone can move it for me.
    My 01 Formula is having a strange problem. the car has sat for 2 months i cranked it up and moved it around the yard but didn't drive it
    Tags was out and i really didn't have 500.00 dollars to register it.
    anyway i got it tagged friday and cranked it up and drove it back up to the house parked it and killed it. the key would not come out of the key switch. it would not turn all the way back to lock so i could pull the key out. now the car will start and turn off but will not go into the lock position so i can remove the key. also i can move the shifter in and out of park and can crank it up and drive it anywhere kill it and restart it i just can't get the dam key out of it.
    Today i go out and crank it o move it key is still in the ingition, cranked it up moved it and turned the key off and it CAME RIGHT OUT. ok now i'm really happy but confused but ok whatever. goto to the store and get something dam key won't come out again *&*&$#$@%. i get home key still won't come out i disconnect the battery and leave it for about 3 hours come out with the battery still disconnected and key comes right out. reconect the battery and drive it down the road come home key comes right out. shifter is locked and i can't get it out of park till i put the key in it like it should do. what the hell is the problem and how the hell do i fix it. sorry it was so long
    thanks, Charles

black
    2002 WS6

sounds like the interlock switch in the tranny is going bad. It won't let you remove the key with it in gear, for obvious reasons. if it's not reading the tranny is on park that may be it. come to think of it, I think it is also the neutral safety switch but don't quote me on that.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Next time it gets stuck try this. Grab the column just below the ign switch and rotate counter clockwise. I am not sure if it is like the older columns where there was linkage that rotated the column. Also try to push the shifter into park really fast. Might just need an adjusment. Could also try turning the wheel a little.

Cyclone Gray & Black

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Next time it gets stuck try this. Grab the column just below the ign switch and rotate counter clockwise. I am not sure if it is like the older columns where there was linkage that rotated the column. Also try to push the shifter into park really fast. Might just need an adjusment. Could also try turning the wheel a little.
    did all of that i can't find that it turns like my 71 does i think it might either be inside the column or its some sort of solinoid.
    I cleared out the computer last night drove it work today key came right out wife drove it home todady and key came right out no problem but i'm going to investigate a little more just to be sure don't need this to happen on me out of town or something.
    Why can't it just be simple like my 71 Firebird that is a no brainer on it. lol
    thanks to both of you for posting on it.
    anyone else got any ideas.?
    Charles

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You can also get a can of spray air and try cleaning out the switch. Could have some crap in there. My older gm cars would get worn and you could take out the key with it running.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    sounds like the interlock switch in the tranny is going bad. It won't let you remove the key with it in gear, for obvious reasons. if it's not reading the tranny is on park that may be it. come to think of it, I think it is also the neutral safety switch but don't quote me on that.
    I'm going with this answer.......

Cyclone Gray & Black

You can also get a can of spray air and try cleaning out the switch. Could have some crap in there. My older gm cars would get worn and you could take out the key with it running.
    ok where is this switch?
    yeah my 71 i can take the key out anytime i want but once i lock it its locked and you have to have the key to unlock it and restart the car.

its done fine allday today so far
    thanks again Charles

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Right where the key goes in.

Cyclone Gray & Black

Right where the key goes in.
    i mean't the tranny switch...lol sry
    charles

black
    2002 WS6

two places, on the tranny it's self or under the console where the shifter is.

Cyclone Gray & Black

two places, on the tranny it's self or under the console where the shifter is.
    thats what i was thinking but i wasn't sure i think it migh be the one under the console as i've had some shifter issues in the past. awhile back i had trouble getting out of park everyonce in awhle had to try it a few times to get it out of park.

black
    2002 WS6

Under consult to my 2000 GM service manual, it is located under the cernter console next to the shifter.

Cyclone Gray & Black

Under consult to my 2000 GM service manual, it is located under the cernter console next to the shifter.
    Cool, say you wouldn't happen to know if there is a online service manual somewhere for these cars do you????
    I want to buy one but i'm prolly not gonna keep this car much longer anyway and i don't want to spend the extra money unless i have to.
    Charles

black
    2002 WS6

as far as I know, there is no free online manual, but you can get a chiltons for pretty cheap from near any parts store or book store.

Orange/Black
    1999 Camaro SS

I know this post is a couple of months old but...

This same problem happened to me right after I took off my factory shift knob (auto) and replaced it with an aftermarket one. The key would not return to the OFF position for anything with the new shifter knob on, which was for an auto as well. Anyway, I was comparing the new and old knobs and noticed the new one I just installed did not allow the release button to be pushed all the way down to tell the car it was indeed in PARK. It would push down far enough to move through the gears and looked like it was in Park but it wasn't. I removed the new knob and put the factory one back on and no more stuck key. Just some info for someone else who maybe searching threads for a STUCK KEY problem
    I'm a CHICK with a gun and an LS1, nuff said...

1999 CAMARO SS #81 of 4829
    LS6 intake * 3.73's * Borla catback * L/T Headers
    ZO6 18's * MSD/NGK * SLP Lid/Bellows * KYB Adjustables
    Summit Racing Springs * Fresh paint/interior in 08

Thread Information