Black
    2001 WS6

help, i just got f*cked!

I bought a 91 firebird v6 a week ago from a private seller. Ever since then, the car has been hard to start..usually taking 2 tries or so. Well it got worse, and then there's also a coolant leak. Long story short, I found out from the shop that it would cost $1095 to fix. I only paid $900 for the car. My mom says i should call the girl and ask her to share the costs , saying she could have known about this, ect. The lemon law doesnt apply because it's a private seller. I really dont have the money to put into repairing the car. What do u guys think? The shop says it needs a new fuel pump and water pump.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    I bought a 91 firebird v6 a week ago from a private seller. Ever since then, the car has been hard to start..usually taking 2 tries or so. Well it got worse, and then there's also a coolant leak. Long story short, I found out from the shop that it would cost $1095 to fix. I only paid $900 for the car. My mom says i should call the girl and ask her to share the costs , saying she could have known about this, ect. The lemon law doesnt apply because it's a private seller. I really dont have the money to put into repairing the car. What do u guys think? The shop says it needs a new fuel pump and water pump.
    You bought a used car is what I am getting from this. When you buy used to me it is sold as is. I do not see how you can ask her to share the cost. You do state you only paid 900 for it. To me that price states it has issues.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

why not wrench on it yourself and save some money ? the waterpump shouldnt be too difficult. i would also change the fuel filter out and see if the issue improves

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    You bought a used car is what I am getting from this. When you buy used to me it is sold as is. I do not see how you can ask her to share the cost. You do state you only paid 900 for it. To me that price states it has issues.
    +1

You can't expect a private seller to help with cost of repairs. You buy the vehicle AS IS. It is your responsibility to do your homework and determine if the car is worth the price paid. Legally speaking, you have the burden of proof to say she was aware of condition but did not disclose the information upon sale. You can call and see if she'll be civil about the issue, but if she says no, there really isn't anything you can do about it.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

What they said. ^ You bought a 20 year old car for $900, you should be glad it ever started in the first place.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by '99 SLP#24 View Post
    What they said. ^ You bought a 20 year old car for $900, you should be glad it ever started in the first place.

Black
    2001 WS6

i knew there would be issues. Although given the history of what the girl said she had replaced, i didnt think i'd have all this at once. I didnt expect the girl to put up any money to fix it, not that i would ask her to. I know when u buy a car off of a private seller, it's 'as is". It's just something my mom had said to me.
    I bought the car for my gf as a beat around town car, because she moved here recently and doesnt have a car or job yet. She sold her car to afford to move here. I dont have much extra money, but I was trying to do this so she wouldnt be stuck at my house all the time

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

Buy the parts and do it yourself. Much cheaper that way for sure.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6

You bought the car, you inherited the problems. If you were worried about it (and at $900 you probably should have been) then you should have taken it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection ($20)

Black
    2001 WS6

after 13 hours, my friend and i got the car running

Thread Information