Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SS Camaro

HELP! I F'd my Car!

Ok, I'm just at a loss. I was just reading some stuff and I realized that I haven't checked my air filter in a long time. My car worked fine all day and has been for a long time. I go in, check the air filter. It's rather dirty. I have the K&N filter, but I don't remember which. Anyway, I put it back in, but I have a bit of trouble trying to do so. It's been awhile, and I forgot how to shove it in. Eventually, I remember how to put the stupid thing back in, so I lock the lid. During my several tries, I thought I saw something like foil, triangle shaped and about the size of a dime. I didn't think twice about it, since I was so worried about getting the stupid air filter in.

Finally, I put it in, now I'm ready to just start the car and go...but...it just rapidly clicks. And when it does, my radio shows LOC (so, from what I read, a sudden loss of battery). It's almost as if my car completely shut down and then "rebooted." I want to say that something may be shorting out, because when it starts clicking, my speakers pop every time it clicks, and one time, my trunk just opened. I've got it set up so that when the parking brake goes down (and it's dark enough), the headlights go on. If I put the parking brake back up, the light stays on. If I put the parking brake down then up, (now my lights are on), and try to start the car, the lights are off afterwards.

Is there anything related to the air filter removal that might have caused this? Am I missing something extremely fundamental here? Or is this possible that a small piece of what looked like foil is actually causing all of this. I saw it on the left side of the filter, and it probably flew out towards the left (I'm facing the front of my car). I'm a little skeptical to think that the piece of foil can really do this, but can you guys think of anything I might check?

My car is a 2001 SS Camaro, no mods to the engine other than the skip shift eliminator. That's the closest thing to a mod my car has.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SS Camaro

Anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate any kind of direction. A coworker suggested I try cleaning the battery terminals. I am going to do that tonight, but I'm wondering how it could happen so suddenly without any symptoms or warnings.

Camaro

Battery,Check the positive terminal if you have the Delco it's probably leaking.

Yep, check battery and connections. When mine died it did the same thing - still don't know why it popped the hatch though, thought that was weird.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

when a battery dies it pops the hatch, something in the rear, some say, 'weird...'

when a person dies, they shit out the rear, other say hhmmm, 'that's interesting...'

anyone else see the similarities here???
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

what you were saying about the parking brake and the headlights is normal, i have a 1998 ss vert and they activate when i put the ebrake down and they stay on when i put it back up, but they go off when the car is turned off

other than that idk what you should try, clean up the battery, then do a computer reflash / reset

you might have to do a search on how to reset the PCM its very easy and only involves removing 2 fuses

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SS Camaro

Well, I'm not sure exactly what happened, because I tried it again yesterday after work and the clicking was slower. I did get a vacuum and blow into the engine bay just to make sure that the piece of foil in my imagination really isn't doing anything. I dont' even know if it was dislodged or even there in the first place. I noticed that my battery was really low. I had it jumped, and now my car works fine.

What's strange is, I started my car like 10, at most 15 minutes before trying to start it back up again after checking the air filter.

Anyway, thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm glad that it ended up being as simple as a jump...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    Yep, check battery and connections. When mine died it did the same thing - still don't know why it popped the hatch though, thought that was weird.
    its was farting

Thread Information