Help with EVAP canister location in 99 Firebird

Bought a Firebird a couple of years back, but this time around I tried to get it inspected but it failed because they couldn't find the EVAP canister. It is a 1999 V6 Firebird. I can find diagrams for certain that show 1993-1997 at least had it under a guard in the left rear wheel well, but I look under there and just see the fuel filler neck with nothing else there. Did it get moved from after 97, or did I get sold a car without the EVAP canister? Haven't noticed any fuel smells, and the rest of the emissions stuff is there (EGR, catalytic converter). Cuoldn't even see signs it was ever there (no stray lines at all). I see the part changed from a cyllinder to a rectangular box, but don't know if they moved it from that wheel well. Anyone able to help?

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

put a nitrous bottle in the hatch area and tell them thats it!

Quote Originally Posted by makoto42 View Post
    Bought a Firebird a couple of years back, but this time around I tried to get it inspected but it failed because they couldn't find the EVAP canister. It is a 1999 V6 Firebird. I can find diagrams for certain that show 1993-1997 at least had it under a guard in the left rear wheel well, but I look under there and just see the fuel filler neck with nothing else there. Did it get moved from after 97, or did I get sold a car without the EVAP canister? Haven't noticed any fuel smells, and the rest of the emissions stuff is there (EGR, catalytic converter). Cuoldn't even see signs it was ever there (no stray lines at all). I see the part changed from a cyllinder to a rectangular box, but don't know if they moved it from that wheel well. Anyone able to help?
    lol i hope you are joking they couldn't find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you won't either unless you drop the fuel tank.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Take the wheel well cover off and it should be on the other side of the filler neck kinda crammed in that corner. Just follow the lines from the tank.

Unfortunately not joking..

So I get one reply saying it's on top of the fuel tank and another saying it's the same as the 97. I've seen both versions a fair amount, why the confusion? Which ones if any, really do have it on top of the fuel tank? I did remove the guard in the back of that rear wheel well, looked all around the area exposed, behind the fuel filler neck and all, craned around to look along the fuel filler nick all the way to the tank and don't see anything except the neck itself. Guess I'll take a picture this evening of the area and post it. Thanks for the help so far..

Camaro

Starting in "99" it was put on top of the fuel tank. So tell the morons a the state inspection station to go back to school or pick up a book and find it's location..

Thanks for all your help everyone. The EVAP canister was on top of the fuel tank and when they jacked up the car on the driver's side to look towards the back they were able to see the lines going to it. The person there tried to cover his ass by saying "I don't know why they'd put it in such a hard to see place, I've always seen it under the rear quarter panel" <--apparently the only place he looked for it. You're right, he IS a moron

Anyway, after all the trouble I had to go through because they're too incompetent to know how to check the cars they're certified to inspect I'm not going back there again. (The name of the place is "Just Inspections" by the way.) In the future I think I'll stick with the places I've gone that apparently know how to do their job.
    Last edited by makoto42; 07-20-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Lived in NC a couple years, sooooo glad I'm back in Florida with no emissions nazi's...

Thread Information