Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBM
    1998 T/A

Help!!! Car Starts And Dies After 2 Seconds

I have tested everything that follows....I have fuel pressure even when running I have good fuel pressure 63 psi when running and 55 when turn on but not running. I have also checked that my ignition switch wires are not broken because I checked the resistance to the ignition cylinder with key in and it matches that of the key. So I think it is a VATS problem. I am not sure where the VATS relay is located under the dash so I need assistance there to replace the 12 dollar relay and see if thats it. I went to my local parts store and got a code scanner and no codes were present. My car just up and did this one night last saturday. I parked it on friday with the gas gauge on E ...Started it on saturday night and ran for asecond or two and shut off. I then proceeded to search every forum and everywhere and tried all of these things. I am frustrated and confused and need assistance. If anyone can assist me into getting my car runnign again I would really aprreciate it. Its a 1998 T/A. Ran strong before I shut it off and it still runs good for a couple seconds. Cleaned my IAC as well.

NBM
    1998 T/A

To the Top...Need some help guys.

Does it surge at all? or just idle fine for a second then die?

NBM
    1998 T/A

It idles like nothing is wrong then dies like I turned off the ignition. If I had a GM Tech II hooked up I am pretty sure it would say it was cutting the injectors.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

What about the maf? Try cleaning the filaments with electrical cleaner...or if you know someone with a ls1 swap them out.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon
    It idles like nothing is wrong then dies like I turned off the ignition. If I had a GM Tech II hooked up I am pretty sure it would say it was cutting the injectors.
    weird

05 Wrangler

Your fuel pressure is good but maybe the pump sucked up some gunk from the tank when it went to E...and is intermittently blocking fuel flow

NBM
    1998 T/A

I guess that is possible but it seems like it is consistant
    I might toss in some sea foam or some like xylene to help clean shit out.

You also might want to check you ECT sensor (its in your driverside head) it measures the temp of the coolent, if its broken they read -38 degrees, dump a bunch of fuel, either dont start, run and die, drive normal for awhile then start messing up. Have you tried resetting the PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Your fuel pressure is good but maybe the pump sucked up some gunk from the tank when it went to E...and is intermittently blocking fuel flow
    I didnt even think about that, my money is on that.

NBM
    1998 T/A

The problem with that is fuel pressure doesn't die off at the rails with the gauge on there the pressure stays good even as the car is dying and that is why I would say that I think it is cutting the injectors.

99PontTA
    sounds like a crank or cam sensor..or a bad electrical connection to one of those....it uses that info to fire the injectors and spark plugs...if the pcm doesn't get those inputs it shuts the injectors-spark plugs off.

NBM
    1998 T/A

Would it throw a code if one of tohse were bad or if it wasn't reading them.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If I remember right the VATS would turn on the "security" light and you wouldnt be able to crank or do anything.My 98 Camaro would act up with any kind of moisture on the key-it wouldn't doanything at all when you turn the key except turn the lights on in the dash and the security light would stay on.The fuel pressure seems good so that eliminates that.A "noid" light would tell you if the injectors are being shut off-maybe you can borrow or buy one of these. A crank sensor is a likely culprit-fairly cheaply priced and easy enough to replace.

NBM
    1998 T/A

My buddy came over and brought his Tech II. He hooked it up and we checked and my injectors are being shut off like I thought and I am throwing a theft deterrent code but it is a code that doesn't show up as an ses code. It lets it run a minute but shuts the fuel to the injectors off. I have a good resistance to my key so it lets it start but due to a "questionably" bad VATS Controle Module it shuts it off even when the Theft Deterent code has been cleared right before the car is started. We are going to check tomorrow to see if there is a way to hot wire around it. He said he thinks it can be tuned out but he thinks there is a SLIM possibility you can hotwire around it. If not I will buy a new module to see if that is the problem. Hope we can figure it out. I will keep you guys updated in case this happens to one of you.

99PontTA
    noway around it...unless you use an edit program on the pcm...if it doesn't see a square wave form for the VATs module it turns off the injectors

NBM
    1998 T/A

That is exactly word for word what he said but he also said he had never experienced one crapping out so he thougth it wouldn't hurt checking on it. Thanks for the fast reply.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

that a freak occurance-keep us informed on what you figure out on that. thanks

NBM
    1998 T/A

Thanks to anyone that gave me the opinions and tried to help me out. I finally found a bypass idea I thought would work for my situation. LT1350.com makes a little microcontroller as they call it. I believe it to be a square wave generator and nothing more. Anywyas I bought it from eBay but they do have their own company and it was only 17 dollars vs a new 200 dollar BCM. Anywyas thanks again and I hope nobody has to go through this.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Just curious... what does your oil pressure gauge read while it's running?

Low oil level or coolant level, or senors that have gone bad and tell the computer that your oil pressure or coolant level is low could have these same symptoms.

Thread Information