Help buying a camaro with a 6.0

Okay so my i told my friends uncle that im looking for a camaro so he called a bunch of people who do some racing and one person called him back. He said the camaro is either 1998 or 2000 camaro with a 6.0 from a 2004 silverado ss. He got it form the truck because it was in an accident and he found it in the junk yard with only 75k miles. He said its really built for racing that the engine is forged and it has a stage 3 automatic transmission. He said since it's forged and everything it's ready to run nitrious if i wanted it, he said it has tons of parts on the inside which i forgot. and that the only thing is i need to get it dyno tuned and the illegal smog obviously lol.
    I posted this because i want to know if it's a good buy and yes i want a fast car before he found this i was looking for any camaro with an ls1. i also want to know what a forged engine means and a stage 3 transmission. Also how much will a dyno tune be? the price the guy wanted was 4500 but since its my friends uncle he'll do 3000 because that was my limit, but i want to know what will the price be after the dyno tune and smog?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I could be wrong, but forged means the crankshaft, pistons and connecting rods are stronger than factory and can withstand high heat/boost/nitrous situations without blowing up. The transmission has been, most likely, rebuilt with a performance torque converter that keeps the engine in its powerband/sweet spot. Possibly also a manual valve body that allows for manual-style shifting. Dyno tuning varies among shops. Some will charge a couple hundred to calibrate the car's onboard computer depending on mods. For a car with all those mods, that's a cheap price. Have you seen the car up close or test drove it?

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I could be wrong, but forged means the crankshaft, pistons and connecting rods are stronger than factory and can withstand high heat/boost/nitrous situations without blowing up. The transmission has been, most likely, rebuilt with a performance torque converter that keeps the engine in its powerband/sweet spot. Possibly also a manual valve body that allows for manual-style shifting. Dyno tuning varies among shops. Some will charge a couple hundred to calibrate the car's onboard computer depending on mods. For a car with all those mods, that's a cheap price. Have you seen the car up close or test drove it?
    it sounds to good to be true huh? I'm a little worried about it. I haven't seen the car at all yet the guy who owns it hasn't hit me up yet. my friends uncle gave him my number yesterday and i haven't received a call or text yet. I'm wondering why it wasn't already tuned but then again the guy said he didn't want to put any more money in it. I try to question everything so I learn more and to hear there answers.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The fact that it isn't tuned would concern me -- was he running it this way, or did the project stall out before being completed?

You need more details to determine if you are looking at a serious contender or a serious mess. You need to take a hard look at the car (preferably with some car-smart friends or family members). Be sure to check out absolutely everything and ask questions. If the engine is built, the owner should have receipts for the parts and labor -- ask to see them. Here are some things to also consider: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Help buying a camaro with a 6.0

other ??? should be:

who built the motor & trans? receipts?
    is the rear stock?
    suspension upgrades?
    flat ask why no tuning yet? Mines not tune because of mechanical issues but I still have a start up tune.

so many red flags to NOT ignore.

Need to ask your self do I want a half ass built car or solid dd that I could mod later if you choose too.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You should pass. If 3000 is your max then you don't have room to do any needed repairs, I am sure there are other things that are needed. Also think about getting it inspected every year and having to deal with getting someone to pass it. That could be enough of a hassle to pass on the deal.

Well I have more money I just don't want to soend past that, yeah he said it needs an air flow sensor and a serpentine belt, a tune. I can get a smog check easy not the most legal way but it's a smogcheck lpl.

Thread Information