<b>"iznuthn"2 a BOSS!</B> IZNUTHN's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

Help!!accelerating Causes Ses Flashing

okay, i have a story to tell hea. started off with descreening my SLP MAF which gave me a steady SES light. i get my stock MAF sensor and got that screen to stay up on my SLP MAF sensor and that help with the light for a hot minute but now I have a Granatelli MAF sensor and a HPTuner. I replaced my sparkplugs/wires, fuel filter, pcv the day before I instaled the MAF and tuner. So last ni9ght this cobra sides up on me and we gun it, i was ahead till i dropped in fourth and thats when my light started flasin and my car felt like it didn't want to go anymore. almost like it what getting pulled or choked being held from going faster. any suggestions on wether i should drive it or not. should i have done the wires in their correct order or check my fuel filter???i need some info soon...

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

you said you did a plug/wire change. Check them again. SES flashing means a misfire in one of the cylinders. Get it checked at autozone or somewhere and it will tell you which cylinder it is. Also, you will notice the car will guzzle gas like its goin out of style.

Hope this helps
    -Scott

Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

i do notice my gas getting sucked dry.....imma check....crossing my fingers.

Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

your right it the scanner popped up with P0300(multiple cylinder misfire)....now i hear sort of like my exhaust is about to backfire when its idling. whats my options when it comes to budgets and considering i'm a do it yourselfer person? should i get better plugs rather than these 7mm on to something more thicker? would i need those plug covers on all the time or are there any wires that can replace them? this is my daily driver thats why i need to make this happen rigght and quick??Any help from anyone would be helpful!!!Thanks

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Like he said...check all your wires and plugs. The wires should double click...what did you gap the plugs at? Also just leave the maf alone and put a stocker in...a increase if any will be minimal for the hell it can cause you.

Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

gap is .060
    should i have replaced the wires in the fire order? also any pointers wether theres anything okay to unscrew so i can make some room. thanks

02 Blk T/A WS6
    just check your plug wires and make sure there pushed in all the way first and see if that fixes your problem before you do anything else.

sometimes after you pull the plugs out and replace them they might come loose.
    i know the #2 plug which is the plug on the pass side on the back of the motor near the firewall is a pita to make sure you push down all the way.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Where were you guys yesterday? I have been arguing hardcore with a guy in another thread because he said "a flashing SES could mean anything because flashing just means NEEDS ATTENTION NOW!!!" I decided to pipe in and tell em that flashing means a misfire is detected and all I've gotten is told that I don't know anything. Finally he ALMOST admitted I was right with "a misfire could be caused by ANYTHING - get a brain." All he wanted to do was try to make me feel dumb for putting my two cents in when he really doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. I've been starting to lose faith in LS1.com, but maybe there is hope now that I found you guys. Hey who do I need to listen to around here and who do I need to look out for? You might wanna pm that one to me I don't wanna get anything started out here.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by 02 Blk T/A WS6
    just check your plug wires and make sure there pushed in all the way first and see if that fixes your problem before you do anything else.

sometimes after you pull the plugs out and replace them they might come loose.
    i know the #2 plug which is the plug on the pass side on the back of the motor near the firewall is a pita to make sure you push down all the way.
    That's the #8 plug

02 Blk T/A WS6
    ops my bad i just know its a pain in the ass to change and plug the wire back into

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by 02 Blk T/A WS6
    i just know its a pain in the ass to change and plug the wire back into
    yea that's a understatement...the first time that plug alone took me around a hour and a half.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

ya #8 sucks...

When your car threw a code, it should have said exactly which cylinder was misfiring(in parenthesis at bottom). Find that out, then switch a coil pack from another cylinder to that one and see if that other cyliner is misfiring instead. If so its your coil pack.

One more thing... I snapped a pushrod and that caused a misfire. I hope to god you dont have to go through what I did if it is that, and if the pushrod is totally snapped it wont make a sound but a little rattle every here and there.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

-Scott

PS - run some techron fuel injection cleaner through it. May not fix it but will help overall
    Last edited by sk8runeg; 12-07-2005 at 07:25 PM.

Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

thanks guys i had a feeling it was the plug right in front of the #8, i think thats the #6 that gave me a hard time cuz its hard to get from the top and bottom. #6 wires weren't connected on the plug. now it runs perfect. i'm sorta worried about these plugs becoming loose again, will that happen again or are they preetty secure from now on. thanks for the advice guys. oyeah, did anyone see my thread regarding the warranty and clutch being done AGAIN.

Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

you can say that again

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

FLashing SES is definately a misfire because it's multiple codes being thrown at once. A flashing SES light can also be a new set of problems that arises on top of your old problems such as the MAF. I threw a code for a bad O2 sensor and while driving, it flashed on me cause my serpentine belt started to slip. The stock gap is 0.45 so you may wanna stick with that gap size unless you're running a big H/C or major power adders. The best way to get to #8 is from under the car. It's a PITA I know but it's the easiest. Plugging the coil pack into the plug though is the bigger PITA. To check for misfires, and where it's at, what you should do is open your hood and while it idles, listen closely to the packs. As each cylinder fires, you'll hear a small tick and maybe a small light show if it's dark out.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

.45?!!? Thats almost a half an inch. The stock gap is .060 on these cars. You can go to .055 but I wouldnt go past that.

And good job with the car glad to hear its runnin right

Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

ewww...thanks again. i'm loving her dearly now she's not choking but now i have a problem with a situation regarding my extended warranty. okay, first i want to make sure if i decided to take her in (change ecm back to stock with the same programmer). just makin sure.....

so (t56)extended warranty had already replaced my old tranny because the 5th and 6th sychros broke in pieces. not to mention they've been replaced under my regular warranty. so now heres is the crazy part, my new transmission has my old front housing on it because of a some little slot. now it's making the same noise and is leaking. i should bring it back and tell them to order the right transmission this time because last time just made me come back again. any thoughts on it

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I forgot the 0, it's supposed to be .045 My bad, I was a little tired.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

hahah happens to the best of us ;-) Oh god imagine gapping a plug to .45" ahahahhaha that would be interesting...

Thread Information