Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

HELP!!! ABS and ASR Stopped Working!!!

Hello All,

I have 2001 Camaro SS (6-spd Manual), and I am the original owner, with 86,000 miles on the car. The car's computer is putting out a "C0035" ABS trouble code, which translates to" Left Front Wheel Speed Circuit Malfunction".

Further research shows it can be one of 4 things:

1) Open or Short Circuit condition.
    2) Poor Electrical connection (Checked this,,clean and tight as new!)
    3) Faulty Wheel Speed Sensor. I know this will require replacing the Left Front Wheel Hub, but would preferably like to verify this is the issue before buying a HUB.
    4) Faulty EBTCM. (I Don't know how to diagnose this)

Does anyone have any personal experoence with this code, that might help me determine if I need a HUB or an ABS Control Module?? I had the code cleared last night, and it came right back almost immediately.

Any other help or suggestions would be most appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Tom

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The wiring runs up the inside of the passenger side "frame rail" adjacent to the exhaust. Any chance you burned the wiring in that area? There isn't a whole lot of clearance, especially if you have LT's.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Hello PAJEFF02,,,

Thank you form your response! I DO NOT have headers on my car. Are you saying the wiring on the RIGHT FRONT side may affect the sensor on the LEFT Front side? It does not at this time, seem like I have any Wiring issues.

Tom

PS,,,,The Chevy dealer (When I went in for a CATALYTIC CONVERTER warranty replacement), told me that I need a right front (Hopefully they were just confused (I know, what a shocker!) wheel Hub, when the C0035 ABS code indicates a problem with the LEFT wheel hub, because the sensor is "Built Into" the rear of the HUB, and the sensor itself is not removable or replaceable.
    Last edited by NastySS; 08-15-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Clarification of a point.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Whoops. My bad... ever since the "L" and the "R" wore off my hands I have had issues with that. I mis-read your post and was thinking about the wire run on the passeger side. That being said, not a bad idea to trace the wire run back a bit on the driver side and see what you find. It is clipped along the back edge of the lower A-arm. From there, I am not certain which direction it heads.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Correct about the sensor not being replaceable. I'm an ASE Master tech, GM has failed hubs with ABS sensors all the time. You could ohm it, if you have a DVOM. Compare it to the other side, and the bad one will likely be very high on the scale or open.

Sometimes scanners will tell you the opposite side that it actually is, so to verify the side, you can disconnect the opposite front wheel and see if the same code sets, or now you have 2 codes, one for each side.

Can your scanner display data? Then you could watch the MPH of each front wheel. My $$$ is on the bad hub assembly.

BTW, now you can drive your F-body just like we always have up to the days of ABS/TCS, the way they were meant to be driven, without computer "enchancements." I do like ABS, just don't like TCS.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

95% of the time it is the wheel speed sensor/hub/bearing assembly that causes that code. 4.999% of the time its a wire harness or connector problem and .001% its a bad EBTCM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

^ what dumb, dumber,dumbest have said ....it is almost always the assembly

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks to all for your feedback. It seems now it's just a matter of determining whether ABS code "C0035" refers to the RIGHT or LEFT Hub. I have seen "Left" on most web sites, I have also seen a couple that said "Right", and the Chevy dealer told me it was the " Right" one as well.

The ABS Scanner said "Left Wheel Hub, or any of the other ones". How incredibly helpful is that???

Anyone have a preference????,,,or possibly an answer they know IS correct?
    Thanks,
    Tom

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by NastySS View Post
    Thanks to all for your feedback. It seems now it's just a matter of determining whether ABS code "C0035" refers to the RIGHT or LEFT Hub. I have seen "Left" on most web sites, I have also seen a couple that said "Right", and the Chevy dealer told me it was the " Right" one as well.

The ABS Scanner said "Left Wheel Hub, or any of the other ones". How incredibly helpful is that???

Anyone have a preference????,,,or possibly an answer they know IS correct?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    easiest thing to do is unplug your right one..see if there is a new code...if there is..you know it is the left side...that is the only thing i can think of

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thank you "Too Fast" and "Shady", This is what I planned to do, but the ABS scanner was not mine, and it may take me a week or two to be able to get a hold of it again.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

QUOTE=shady milkman;2418704]^ what dumb, dumber,dumbest have said ....it is almost always the assembly[/QUOTE]

So I'm dumber, eh? I have your address, just waiting for the middle of the night....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The correct answer is....C0035 is LF wheel speed sensor

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks for your input Cutlass. I do appreciate it, and I DO agree with you, but what concerns me a little bit is what "Too Fast" said above :

"Sometimes scanners will tell you the opposite side that it actually is, so to verify the side, you can disconnect the opposite front wheel and see if the same code sets, or now you have 2 codes, one for each side."

Thoughts?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

GM service manual says C0035 is LF and it has always meant LF since they started using that DTC number. I'm fairly familiar with this code.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post

So I'm dumber, eh? I have your address, just waiting for the middle of the night....
    cutlass didn't complain

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I don't believe the hubs are very expensive or all that difficult to install.

Do both. I have always been on the train of thought that if one goes....the other isn't far behind.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Thanks for your input Cutlass. I do appreciate it, and I DO agree with you, but what concerns me a little bit is what "Too Fast" said above :

"Sometimes scanners will tell you the opposite side that it actually is, so to verify the side, you can disconnect the opposite front wheel and see if the same code sets, or now you have 2 codes, one for each side."

Thoughts?
    I guess I should be a bit more clear. Sometimes the scanner will show the wrong side when you are watching what it actually reports for MPH for each wheel. I've really only run into this on an older GM (mid 90s, I think it was a Caddy) and a Chrysler minivan.

And it would not be a bad idea to put both front hub assemblies on. I was trying to help you be sure about which one was the actual problem. OTOH, they are probably interchangeable if you only wanted to do one side, check with the parts supplier to see if it is different for R & L.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

OK "Shady" amd "Cutlass", do you two have some sort of "History" I am not aware of? Let's play nice guys!!!....lol

Anyway, thanks again to those who chimed in again here. Like "Mr. Luos" and I am sure most of you here, I am also of the belief that if one goes, the other may be close behind. I would never replace just one Front Brake Caliper, so why should the HUB be any different? I did actually decide yesterday that replacing both would be the better choice, especialy since they have sealed bearings, and I have no idea the condition of the bearings, or the condition of the grease that lubricates them.

QUESTION: Does anyone have an opinion on the TIMKEN brand? The part # is 513090 (Same # for all manufacturers), they are interchangeable between Left and Right, and GM wants $247 each, I found the Timken Brand online for less than half of that. I PREFER TO GET PARTS MADE IN THE GOOD 'OLE US OF A!!!, rather than a MUCH CHEAPER PART (QUALITY AND PRICE) from a specific Country that we have a HUGE TRADE DEFICIT with!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

OK "Shady" amd "Cutlass", do you two have some sort of "History" I am not aware of? Let's play nice guys!!!....lol

Anyway, thanks again to those who chimed in again here. Like "Mr. Luos" and I am sure most of you here, I am also of the belief that if one goes, the other may be close behind. I would never replace just one Front Brake Caliper, so why should the HUB be any different? I did actually decide yesterday that replacing both would be the better choice, especialy since they have sealed bearings, and I have no idea the condition of the bearings, or the condition of the grease that lubricates them.

QUESTION: Does anyone have an opinion on the TIMKEN brand? The part # is 513090 (Same # for all manufacturers), they are interchangeable between Left and Right, and GM wants $247 each, I found the Timken Brand online for less than half of that. I PREFER TO GET PARTS MADE IN THE GOOD 'OLE US OF A!!!, rather than a MUCH CHEAPER PART (QUALITY AND PRICE) from a specific Country that we have a HUGE TRADE DEFICIT with!!
    rock auto?

I would get the timken hubs if it were me.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Actually, I found a place that has the Timken part for 30 bucks less than Rock Auto!!! A seller on Amazon.com

Thread Information