Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro SS vert

Exclamation Help!! About to buy an 01 Vette w/ 550hp. smokes at idle, normal? **Video inside**

Please check out the video! For those of you that know alot about engines, you should be able to tell right away. I'm probably buying this car early next week, but he wants a deposit ASAP because there are a few people after it.

I was told the car smokes because its running so rich at idle. When its revved there is NO smoke.. Do i believe this? Here is a link to the video. (it takes awhile to download) What worries me most.. Is the smoke looks pretty blueish... Its not black like its running rich. The guy said the valvles were new on the rebuild.

http://kraest.com/vette/idle.mov

2001 Corvette - CLEAN CARFAX
    79500 miles (60k the first 3 years...all highway..woman owner. I've put 6000 on it since Dec 04)
    Serious Mods have roughly 2000 miles on them.
    All work professionally installed/dynotuned by Futral Motorsports (Www.futralmotorsports.com)

Futral Motorsports 236/239 .600/.611 camshaft
    Box stock Dart 225cc heads milled .020 for 11.2:1 compression
    Fast 90mm Intake Manifold
    Nick Williams 90mm TB
    30# FMS Injectors
    ASP Underdrive Pulley
    B&M Ripper Shifter
    Spec Stage 3 clutch
    LG Motorsports 4.10 gears
    Kooks LT Headers 1-7/8" primaries to a 3" collector
    Kooks 3" X-pipe
    Borla Exhaust
    Haltech Stinger CAI
    160 Thermostat
    18" C6 Z06 Wheels with Nitto Dragradials in the back (305s) (less than 2000 miles)

Car made 471/415 to the wheels on motor.

The price is so good it would be hard to turn down... Thanks guys!

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

that cars seems like it has been beatin on, but i'm not the one buying it, i also bought a 98 ss vert that is modded out. if you get it let us know how it goes. may be running rich? may be first/cold start? maybe needs a really good tune? you should ask these questions? also if i can ask how much? it seems like a nice car put with that cam that will not be to friendly on the streets, may be hard to get around, and gas milage will be nil. let us know how it turns out.

99 Firebird Formula

I can't watch the video because I am at work, but if it has blue smoke coming out the rear, you don't want to buy it unless you know 100% what is wrong with it. Could be many things...could need a catch can, bad pcv, bad rings, a problem in the head, etc etc.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro SS vert

The guy wants $25k for the car.

I will be calling Futral Motorsports today (people that installed/dyno tuned the car) to see if this is normal, or if they know anything about the car.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445945

that probably won't work,
    but search the name at camaroz28.com
    cool car

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro SS vert

Quote Originally Posted by z28rktec
    http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445945

that probably won't work,
    but search the name at camaroz28.com
    cool car
    Thanks! I didnt know that he was on there!

Black
    2002 Camaro

This car has definately been beaten on, But dont all of us do that to our cars, Unless your buying it from an old man you have to expect at least a mild beating on from time time. That smoke definately has a blue tint to it, if the engine was just rebuilt I would say that they may have used low tension rings to free-up horspower or they may not have honed it propperly so the rings never seated right or they may have never honed/reringed it at all.
    If I were you, I would buy it, (sounds really mean!!!) But I would buy it with the mindset of planning on pullimg the engine to have it re-ringed. (around $750.00)
    Either way... best of luck

Black
    2002 Camaro

This car has definately been beaten on, But dont all of us do that to our cars, Unless your buying it from an old man you have to expect at least a mild beating on from time time. That smoke definately has a blue tint to it, if the engine was just rebuilt I would say that they may have used low tension rings to free-up horspower or they may not have honed it propperly so the rings never seated right or they may have never honed/reringed it at all.
    If I were you, I would buy it, (sounds really mean!!!) But I would buy it with the mindset of planning on pullimg the engine to have it re-ringed. (around $750.00)
    Either way... best of luck

Red
    2000 SS

Something is broke on the left bank.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

that's not smoke from running rich, that's shitty smoke. Hmmmm, lets see, he cold starts it and revs the piss out of it. pass

Watching the other videos around of it, it's a pretty bad ass car, but if he's gonna try to pass that off as smoke from running rich he's pulling something.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

not to mention he's losing a LOT of $$$ selling it for 25k, there has to be a reason, and the smoke is just a hint at it

navy blue
    1998 trans am

yessir that does look like way too much smoke from running rich and the color of the smoke looks like it has a blue tint so if you buy it get ready to fix it before something goes seriously wrong in that engine and hes loosing alot of money selling for 25k think about it you get what you pay for (a bad ass vette for under 25k i dont know about that) he gotta have almost double into it

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Looks like oil smoke to me. As suggested this could need the catch can mod if it doesn't have it already. Plugs could be loaded up w/oil and it takes a while to clear up. You are taking a chance buying any high performance car that's been run hard,just be ready to fix stuff. If you don't have the resources and money,don't buy this one. Pull some plugs on the left side and look for wet oil,fuel will just be dark deposits (or smell like fuel). Might have to pull all 4 if you don't see anything on the first 3,maybe just one cylinder fawkin up (rings or valve seals). Car is cool looking, but a sexy come-on is not a good temptation sometimes. Bet the neighbors love him making all that racket-lol.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro SS vert

I put a deposit down on the car. Shipping company gets there on Saturday. Should make it all the way back here by May 8th or so they say.

A good place to start is the plugs though? If i do, I might as well get some new ones. What kind of plugs should I run in there?

I'm planning on rebuilding the engine this coming winter when its in storage, but i'd like to drive it this summer. I'd like a little more piece of mind about that smoke though....

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yeah, reading the plugs can give you an idea about what is wrong with the engine. Go with the engine builders recommendations on plugs. Good luck with the car,hope it turns out OK.

Thread Information