Thread: help...

Black
    99 Z28

Unhappy help...

The whole thing is a long story, but here's my current problem.

After having my new engine put in, I have what sounds like a loose belt or a bad pulley. It's really a little too hi pitched of a sound to be a belt to me, it sounds more like a bad bearing in a pulley. From the location of the sound, I figured it was the tensioner pulley, so I went and got another and replaced it. I put the belt back on and... well, it's still there. So, I took the belt off completely, tested all of the free spinning components and pulleys that I could. The alternator has a bit of a squeak to it, so I thought that might be it. I left the belt off, fired up the car to make sure that it was indeed a pulley or a belt driven component and.... well, bad news: Even with the belt off, it makes this terrible sound when the car is running.

Anyone have any suggestions of what to do? (Take it back to the shop is not the right answer).

help... please

Black
    99 Z28

i did just get it that it might be the AC tensioner. I don't have the ability to get to that right now to check on it. I suspect that might very well be it, but if someone else has some ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.

Thanks

Black
    99 Z28

took off the A/C belt. It's quiet now. So, it's either the tensioner for the AC or the Idler for the AC or the pulley on the AC itself. Turning them, they're all quiet. Anyone have any idea on how to discover which one is the noisy culprit?

Thanks

Silver
    2000 Chevy Camaro (V6)

I recently had an engine put in and I had a problem with it too. Which I still do! The problem is that when i start my car every day it makes a ticking noise for about 30 seconds to a minute and then it stops. Now have been told that it is a lifter that has to prim up. But when I take it in they say it isn't. When I take it some where else they it is a lifter, so I do not know what it is or what to do.

Black
    99 Z28

Does it have some kind of bigger cam or anything like that in it? I'd guess it'd be a lifter or valve or something along those lines.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Shoot some soapy water on the a/c belt while it's running. If the noise goes away it's the belt, if not it's an 80% shot that it's the A/C idler pulley.

Thread Information