Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Arrow Help!!!

Okay, well here's the scoop:

In Marine Corps and been away for training for a year. Left my 98 Trans Am garaged at house. Had a friend start it occassionally and drove it for a week straight a few months ago. He had the oil changed and replaced the battery for me. I just got back this past weekend and drove with no problems. However, yesterday afternoon it starts giving me problems-
    When I go to start it, it cranks but won't turn over for quite some time (5-10 minutes of trying), then it will miraculously start. So I imagine it's the fuel system since it sat for so long. Once started tho, it runs great which is the part that's slayin me b/c if the fuel pump is bad, then how is it getting fuel to run? I can hear the fuel pump priming when I first key the ignition. I figure since it's turning, it's not a starter/alternator problem.
    I've ran thru a full tank since this weekend (enjoyed having my car again) and today at the advice of my friend, I dropped a bottle of isopropyl alcohol when I filled the tank. I'm putting it up on a lift tomorrow and will be changing the fuel filter (oil and oil filter since I've got it up there) and will crack that open to investigate. I'd like to change the fuel pump, but: 1) not in stock locally 2) $362

That's it, I spent.
    Advice, experience, directions requested. Help please...

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Okay, scratch the $362 quoted from Advance and Auto Zone- I can get a Granatelli fuel pump for $125 online. Damn local parts stores.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Put a guage on the schrader valve on the DS fuel rail and make sure it is 58psi. If it is not that is your problem. Might as well upgrade your pump. Racetronics makes a 255LPH pump and harness kit for less than $150 IIRC.

Put a fuel filter in it while your at it....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the first step is to check the fuel pressure....don't just throw a pump at it until you've verified that's the issue. Very well could be the filter if it's been sitting due to shit in the tank settling and getting sucked into the filter. Look at racetronix if you go with a fuel pump. Their kits are plug and play with excellent instructions. Verify that fuel pressure first though and swap that filter like SOMbitch said.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Awesome guys, about to go work on it. Thanx

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Also swap the fuel pump relay with the one next to it - they are the same. I don't think your symptoms sound like pump or filter - too intermittent. Sounds like electrical and the common item is the fuel pump relay.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    Also swap the fuel pump relay with the one next to it - they are the same. I don't think your symptoms sound like pump or filter - too intermittent. Sounds like electrical and the common item is the fuel pump relay.
    he says he can hear the pump prime though so that would rule out the relay IMO.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Okay, just got back from shop with the car. I replaced the fuel filter and changed oil and oil filter. I cut open the fuel filter and nothing seemed wrong. I put a test gauge on the fuel rail and it was within 55-60 psi. I also pulled the boot from the spark plug and checked it for a spark. I have not yet pulled any plugs to look at them. I hooked up an OBD and pulled codes that would have resulted from putting in my LT headers (133,135,153,155,405,410) for O2's, EGR, and AIR. Could it be anything involving that or even the security system? I am at a loss here and extremely frustrated.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the security system disables the fuel pump and starter so the car won't even turn over. Did it hold pressure when you turned the key on or did it start to drop? Also start cranking it while watching the fuel pressure. How many miles on your plugs? I think you're looking at the right stuff....just a matter of tracking it down. I would think something like a crank or cam position sensor would have thrown a code. If it were sticking injectors I would think you'd have a lean code. Could be an ignition relay I guess but you should be able to verify that with spark. Make sure the car is acting up when you're checking things. If it's starting you're doing no good by checking stuff like fuel pressure and spark because you know you have them. I'm sure you know that but I'm just sayin'

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

No harm done, I appreciate the help!I changed the plugs and wires about 20k mi ago- I'm currently at 109k as it is my DD. I turned the key and watched the pressure as the key was first turned (priming from the fuel pump) and the first time it was turned, it barely got pressure, second time it was a lil higher than 50 psi. It started right up when we turned the ignition all the way. I think I'm gonna swap the relays as was suggested earlier. Wut about the o2 codes, how are those cut out? Do I take it to a speed shop or something to do that? About how much should that cost? I haven't had the car tuned since I've changed the exhaust components.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by weberje View Post

When I go to start it, it cranks but won't turn over for quite some time (5-10 minutes of trying), then it will miraculously start.
    i had that problem too, but it turned out to be the starter solenoid. i replaced my starter with a MSD mini starter. no problems since.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

How did u determine that?
    How can I tell if the starter solenoid is the problem?
    There are a very few times when I will turn the key and nothing happens at all.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by weberje View Post
    How did u determine that?
    How can I tell if the starter solenoid is the problem?
    There are a very few times when I will turn the key and nothing happens at all.
    I wasn't aware of this at all....I was reading it as the car was turning over but not starting. That changes a lot. Also, you said when you cycle the key it started. Does it do that everytime? Normally if you can cycle the key and it'll start that points to a pressure regulator but the fact you're getting nothing sometimes changes everything. Could be the starter solenoid or just a corroded wire.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Never replaced this before. Difficult to replace?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

first describe exactly what the car is doing. I'm confused as to exactly what it's doing when you turn the key.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not at all. Before replacing anything, it's not a bad idea to check your wire harness at your starter. Disconnect your battery before playing around down there. Also, how about a key issue? Does the '98 have the chip deal as that could also be a problem.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Okay. You turn the key and the engine will turn but won't start (which is why I first ruled out the starter/alternator/battery). Sometimes, if I leave the key in the ignition and turn it back off, then try to start it again, nothing will happen at all. I typically take the key all the way out and try it again.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

when you leave the key in and nothing happens is your security light lit up?

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

But normally I can consistently just crank away without it starting. I WAS messin with the fuses this past weekend checking for any visible breaks as I was replacing my turn signal bulbs so I may also look into the relay idea. I guess I'll be ordering a new starter then if that doesn't work?

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

you mean the red blinkin one?

Thread Information