1998 Z-28 A4

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 98 z-28 camaro. The reservoir over flows when I stop the car. It doesnt run hot at all. Temps are about 180 to 210. Could it be the radiator cap or the thermostat trying to stick. I can hear the water boiling when I pop the hood. It does while its running and when I cut the engine off.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by HitManLs1 View Post
    I have a 98 z-28 camaro. The reservoir over flows when I stop the car. It doesnt run hot at all. Temps are about 180 to 210. Could it be the radiator cap or the thermostat trying to stick. I can hear the water boiling when I pop the hood. It does while its running and when I cut the engine off.
    is the recovery tank actually overflowing or is the radiator pushing coolant out and into the recovery tank? if the recovery tank is overflowing it [cooling system] may be over full. at 180-210 the coolant is not boiling. a normal function of the system is to push the excess coolant from the radiator to the recovery tank. when you shut the engine off the coolant is absorbing heat from the engine and not being circulated to cool it off which makes it expand and you will hear a gurgling sound as its pushed past the radiator cap on its way to the recovery tank. this also happens as the coolant heats up from cold to normal operating temp. or you could have a bad head gasket which would push the cylinder pressure into the cooling system and cause coolant to blow out.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 05-22-2009 at 06:54 PM.

1998 Z-28 A4

Thanks alot. Hope its not the head gasket. But my coolant light pops on from time to time they told me it could be the sensor. When it pops on the car dont be running hot it be at a good temp 180 or so driving down the highway.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Car's a 98.....I'd start with a new radiator cap

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ya i hope its not the head gasket. it kinda sounds like it though. i used to have a dodge neon that was doing the same thing as what you said it it turned out to be bad head gasket

1998 Z-28 A4

Thanks guys hope its just something minor and not major!! But I am going to try a new cap got it on the way hope it fix's the problem.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have you looked at the oil to see if it looks like a milkshake? Cap would be a good place to start.

1998 Z-28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    have you looked at the oil to see if it looks like a milkshake? Cap would be a good place to start.
    Yea the oil looks fine.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well thats good then!

black
    02 vette vert

Thanks alot. Hope its not the head gasket. But my coolant light pops on from time to time they told me it could be the sensor. When it pops on the car dont be running hot it be at a good temp 180 or so driving down the highway.
    didnt mean to ruin your day, just thinking of all possibilities. forgot the radiator cap though.

1998 Z-28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    didnt mean to ruin your day, just thinking of all possibilities. forgot the radiator cap though.
    O no problem man u didn't ruin it I was thankful for you info . Like you said it could be anything, but ima try the cap first and go from there.

1998 Z-28 A4

Well come to find out there was nothing wrong with the car the radiator cap was not tighten all the way up. Thank god!! Also thank all you guys for the help.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea the oil looks fine.
    That's good then. Probably something minor.

NBM
    2002 Firehawk T/A

your coolant could be past its service life or too much water mixed in, water will boil if the mix is to much h2o

black
    02 vette vert

Well come to find out there was nothing wrong with the car the radiator cap was not tighten all the way up. Thank god!! Also thank all you guys for the help.
    you know, sometimes people have to help themselves a little bit. if your car acts like, or is pushing antifreeze out, some where along the way youd think you would have checked to see if you were low on coolant, would have found the loose radiator cap, and there never would have been a problem for everyone to try to help you with. well, at least you got a mini education on cooling systems.

Thread Information