black
    2001 gmc sierra 1500

hello im new to this site and i need some pointers

I got a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 and i want to do an engine swap to a 6.0 engine so i can get more horse power ill be doing the tranny aswell if someone have some ideas of what i can do or should do ill really apreiate

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I don't have much experience in motor swaps yet, but I'll give you what I do know. There will be others that will add or even correct me.

For trucks it's not all about HP that you really want. More torque is what most truck owners want. Torque is what pulls trailers & hauls stuff. That's why inline 5/6's are torque monsters.

You have 2 options when wanting a 6.0L, LQ4 and LQ9. Both are good, If you are going to try to reuse your PCM you will also need to know things like what kinda of reluctor wheel you currently have and what the new motor has. Example 24x vs 58x. Also what sensors are require for the new engine vs what you currently have and will need.

tranny issues - your current one may not fit or may need some stuff to handle the new motor.

Fuel pump - this is another issue that most over look when planning. You must have an adequate fuel feeding that motor

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by morocho View Post
    I got a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 and i want to do an engine swap to a 6.0 engine so i can get more horse power ill be doing the tranny aswell if someone have some ideas of what i can do or should do ill really apreiate
    Are you going from a 5.3 to a 6.0? If so it should be pretty easy. You'll have to have the computer reprogramed/tuned to run the 6.0 but thats not too big of a deal.
    Trans should bolt up and work just fine.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Are you going from a 5.3 to a 6.0? If so it should be pretty easy. You'll have to have the computer reprogramed/tuned to run the 6.0 but thats not too big of a deal.
    Trans should bolt up and work just fine.
    yup should be a direct swap trans and everything will bolt right up to the 6.0 small differences you may want to look for is some are throttle by wire or by cable which all you have to do is swap throttle bodies. computer reprogram is needed but very simple swap.

Thread Information