Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Heater Problem! Please Read...

Well, I got a 1999 Z28 Camaro... and I've never used the heater in the whole 2 years I've owned it... because there is no such thing as COLD down here... even so... I was happilly driving down the road with my g/f with the windows rolled down, and I start Smelling Coolant... and it's coming from under the DASH, NOT from the Engine...and the car isn't overheating...

There was steam coming from the Vent in the Dash... and it was dripping coolant onto my carpet... so, my questions are...

What could it be?, how could I fix it?...and if it were the heater, could it be removed without problems with the computer etc?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like a busted heater core. As far as I know there would be no problem with just capping off the lines going into the firewall or putting an elbow there and just have the lines circulate without going to the heater core. I can't think of a reason that you wouldn't be able to do that.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

how bout, removing the heater-unit?... could that be posible?

black
    1999 T/A

you could remove the heater core but you'd still have to bypass the heater lines with a little elbow or something and taking the dash out is no easy feat.

black
    2002 WS6

Yea easiest thing to do is just remove the lines from the core and couple then together.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

hm, then I guess, I'll buy a line I can use with some sort of U bend in it... let it drain on it's own I guess... for now... that's about all I could do...

there IS coolant on the carpet now... which sucks... but a full day of scrubbing could do the trick

black
    2002 WS6

use lots of warm water and a goos shop vac with the narrow nozzle to get all the water out. then pad it with an absorbant cloth to get any remaining water. It will take a day or two dry. Dpending on Conditions.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Or you could just replace it VERY simple to do total time for beginers - 2.5 hours less with skinny hands and organized tools? there are three bolts holding the glove box on remove those (black screws) then there is one metal clip on the back of the plastic upper cover then two pastic clips from the top that have to come out. Then you will see a round cover looking deal (slightly to the left) there are 4 small copper anodized bolts holding this cover on - remove those then unclamp and push the wiring harnes out of the way and carefully pull down on the cover. VOILA you now see your leaking sucky heater core with the dex cool soaked foam around it. you have just one more copper looking bolt holding a metal retainer plate that keeps the core still remove that and boom you are DONE for now under the dash - NOW go to the hood pop that thing and look into the back above the infamous #8 spark plug (passenger side upper firewall for the challenged) you will see two hoses side by side with the P.I.T.A retainer clips it will come from the firewall - obviously, and go from Metal to rubber to metal again. slide forward those two clips and carefully pull wiggle jiggle and curse the hoses off - DONE from under the hood for now - back inside with ya now CAREFULLY remove the heater core with something protecting your carpet (remember coolant is still in that bad boy). Replace rubber grommet at the lines from the old to the new heater core and REVERSE the install. Now you have just acomplished the correct way to do it and if weight on the car is an issue a bottle of ex lax before race day will help compensate for the weight of having a defrost feature heh heh. Hope this helps my friend as I had to just jump in and do it myself so been there and I feel your frustration!!! One other note I at first bought a "new core" from pep boys this thing looks like a mongaloid had chewed on the fins for about 3 hours before they slam dunked this copper coated turd into the box - the fit and finish was at best HORRIFIC. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BUY IT FROM A RELIABLE PARTS DEALER. I have no clue what pep boys is selling as far as heater cores but this one was done before it ever reached my car!!! Thanks for wasting my time and gas pepboys - choke on it!
    Last edited by mikeaford; 05-24-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Parts addition

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

thanks for the info man... for now I'm just gonna do the U bend Line mod... because I have very little money, and I need Tires and Brakes... (which are more important then heating in 90 degree weather)...

when it comes to actually need it, I'll buy the replacement and follow those instructions to do it...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Gotta do this soon.. steam starting comming outta my vents

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

it's all easy to do, and it works great... so good luck

Thread Information