NBM
    99 TA

Hearing A Noise.... Power Steering Pump?

So the other day i was driving, and when i turned it made a creaking noise... so i checked the power steering, and i was very low (couldnt even see it in the bottom of the pump). So i topped it up and the noise went away. Lately whenever i drive my car there will be no problems until i put my foot in it a little bit and then let off.... then the car makes a whining noise after that (noise gets worse during turns).

*The only way i can describe the noise, is that it sounds like when you put a manual transmission vehicle in reverse and go kind of fast and it makes a whining noise. But my car makes that noise constantly.

SO my question is... does it sound like the pump got taken out because of the low fluid level.. or is this a completely different problem??

Note: there were no leaks from the power steering at all, but i have had to add fluid several times.. even had it up on a hoist at work to check for leaks and there are none.

I had my power steering flushed about a month ago... could it posssibly be air in the system? Or does it sound like i need to start shopping for some parts?

sorry for the book.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, you kinda answered every possible scenario in your post It could really be any of those. As for the fluid disappearing, have you checked your radiator fluid to see if it's off colored or oily looking? Might be leaking into there. You could try to purge it in case there is air in the line but I would really lean towards it damaging the pump when it ran low.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Question--who flushed the power steering fluid?
    I'm thinking they didnt get the level right after the flush.
    It most certainly can hurt the pump to run low on fluid. My power steering is absolutely quiet at idle and turning when stopped or whenever. It has leaked slightly, flushing it seems to have stopped that.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

I had a very similar problem. I couldn't see a leak, but when I had some performance stuff put on the car, the guy said there was a very small look coming from the tank itself. So, I'm having a new one put on this weekend.

The sound you described is exactly what I heard. However, I only heard it once. I immediately pulled into a gas sation and that's when I checked the fluid to find it almost gone. I immediately bought some GM PS fluid and filled it up. The noise went away.

Sometimes I'll hear a whine when starting the car, but I think its coming from the AIR pump during startup rather than the PS.

NBM
    99 TA

it was flushed with a proper machine, and the level was full (I always check them regularily) but it keeps going low every now and again, and the fluid seems to be really creamy now

btw it was flushed and topped up using gm fluid

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It's possible you have a leak in the cooler then. Check your antifreeze for color and what-not.

Black
    2001 T/A M6

I'm experiencing this same problem now, I just I had my friend take it to work with him since hes an actual mechanic for the FBI, he just called me and told me my radiator fluid is fucked and the PS cooler has an internal crack in it causing it to leak into the radiator. I got a price from him of $107 at the special FBI rate
    I thought it was leaking from underneath the resevoir but it wasn't, all the rubber hoses are dripping oil, like a diesel would do because oil seaps through rubber, he told me im going to have to flush the entire system atleast 10x with pure water before adding antifreeze back too it.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    It's possible you have a leak in the cooler then. Check your antifreeze for color and what-not.
    that did turn out to be the problem in the end.. i have since replaced it and flushed the p/s and coolant. She seems to be all good now. I hope having antifreeze in the power steering wont cause premature wear on the pump and rack tho

Thread Information