Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Headlights and interior lights pulsating

Just last week I noticed when driving that my headlights constantly stay on, but flicker. like before they were just on steady, now they seem to flicker. not to the point where they go out, but you can just tell that it seems like the bright intensity goes up and down hundrerds of times a second. same with the interior lights. All other accessories are running fine. Is this the sign of some electrical problem?
    1999 Camaro SS 6 Speed

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by chris5 View Post
    Just last week I noticed when driving that my headlights constantly stay on, but flicker. like before they were just on steady, now they seem to flicker. not to the point where they go out, but you can just tell that it seems like the bright intensity goes up and down hundrerds of times a second. same with the interior lights. All other accessories are running fine. Is this the sign of some electrical problem?
    good guess would be the voltage regulator. its in the alternator. or maybe you been partying too much.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    good guess would be the voltage regulator. its in the alternator. or maybe you been partying too much.
    hahaha lol. well will the voltage regulator get worse or can i just ignore this problem?

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

Finally some one else with the same problem as me!!!!!

All i can tell you is it is prob the regulator as stated already! Mine has been doing this for about 2yrs now with no real issues caused by it other than until the car fully warms up the volt gauge reads really high causing my amps for my subs to shut off! i figured ill just wait till it dies let me know if you change your alt and it cures this problem

black
    02 vette vert

hahaha lol. well will the voltage regulator get worse or can i just ignore this problem?
    the alt. pretty much just keeps your battery at around 12.5-13 volts as you are using its reserve power. if you notice your volt gauge reads about that when you turn the key on, with the engine running it should read about 14. the regulator tells the alternator when juice is being used from the battery so it can replace it. if theres no demand it shuts down so it doesnt over charge the battery. your lights flickering is the regulator not making up its mind if the alternator should send current or not causing your lights to be drawing power without it being kept up by the alt. intermitently. you could end up with a bad battery if you dont fix it. dont buy the junk rebuilt stuff from chain stores [although you could get a good one] i would find a local auto electric shop and have yours rebuilt.

black
    02 vette vert

the regulator allows the current from the alternator to go to the battery when there is a current draw, and keeps the battery from being over charged when there is not. your regulator[at least this appears to be your prob.] cant make up its mind whether to charge the battery or not which results in alternating full power and just using reserve from the battery hence the appearance of flickering lights. if you dont fix it you could ruin your battery,or the reg could go out altogether which will shut you down when you least expect it.
    i would find a local auto electric shop and have it rebuilt. i never had much luck with off the shelf rebuilt electrical components.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 03-27-2009 at 09:39 AM.

black
    02 vette vert

ok this is a computer genius at work here. i thought i lost the first one so i rewrote it. put the two together and you might have something!

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

okay thanks for the responses. so are you saying i should replace the whole alternator or just the regulator?

black
    02 vette vert

okay thanks for the responses. so are you saying i should replace the whole alternator or just the regulator?
    since you have to pull the alternator anyway id have it checked out by an automotive electric shop like i said earlier. no sense putting it back in with a new regulator and having something else go wrong.

Thread Information