Red
    99 Camaro Z28

Headlight Sensor

Is there an (easy) way to bypass the automatic headlight sensor? Im in the military, and when going on base, its courtious to the guards to turn your headlights off when approaching at night. Im just wondering if there is a way to manually turn my headlights off when its dark. Thanks

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by goatzz View Post
    Is there an (easy) way to bypass the automatic headlight sensor? Im in the military, and when going on base, its courtious to the guards to turn your headlights off when approaching at night. Im just wondering if there is a way to manually turn my headlights off when its dark. Thanks
    Change out the light sensor in the dash with a 10k ohn resistor.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Silver
    2002 SS

I haven't investigated this at all but there must be a switch on the e-brake handle.
    Seems like you could extend that to another switch wired in parallel that you could turn on / off whenever you wanted lights out while using the auto sensor.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
    I haven't investigated this at all but there must be a switch on the e-brake handle.
    Seems like you could extend that to another switch wired in parallel that you could turn on / off whenever you wanted lights out while using the auto sensor.
    That won't work quite as easily as you think. If you pull the e-brake and activate that switch after the lights have already turned on, they will stay on. What I usually do for a short-term, quick fix is pull the e-brake up one notch, bring the revs up a little, turn the ignition off and then back to run real quick (DO NOT engage the starter). I wouldn't recommend driving around with the e-brake on - even with just one notch. But if it's just for a quick pit stop at the guard shack, then it shouldn't hurt anything at all.

The real fix is as mentioned above though. Disassemble the dash where the sensor is and wire in a resistor. Then, you should have DRL's and manual headlights.

One other option is to find the plug in the wiring harness behind the radio and disconnect it. The issue with doing this is, it disables the sensor along with the e-brake switch. That means the car won't know when the e-brake is engaged (no red "BRAKE" light on the dash) and it may affect when you can open your trunk (manual can only open when car is off and auto only when in Park). I'm not sure what other sensors use this plug either...

EDIT** An afterthought....if you can determine which wires go to the sensor, you might be able to access them by pulling the radio instead of tearing up the dash.

Silver
    2002 SS

Oh.

I have never used my headlight switch since 2002.

As soon as I release the brake the lights come on. When I put the brake back on, they go out.

Seems like a momentary contact switch would do the same thing as the brake handle but like I said, I haven't checked it out. I was just guessing.

You're saying the ignition has to interupt after they come on once and you are right I'm sure. I never even noticed. Thanks.

ok hows this ---- leave in your sensor and in addition wire in a simple toggle switch in (open\close)...wire in one side to 'a-1137' and the other to 'b-1137'..what that do well now you have a manual override...close the connection auto lights disabled... open the connection auto lights controlled via sensor...reference this link http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/images/drl-s2-sm.html my job is done

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by dxdenis02 View Post
    ok hows this ---- leave in your sensor and in addition wire in a simple toggle switch in (open\close)...wire in one side to 'a-1137' and the other to 'b-1137'..what that do well now you have a manual override...close the connection auto lights disabled... open the connection auto lights controlled via sensor...reference this link http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/images/drl-s2-sm.html my job is done
    I'd do that with the 10K ohm resistor mentioned above. The easiest place to access it should be the DRL module behind the radio....

Looking at the diagrams, I'd expect it to be something like this:

Pop off the trim and unscrew the 7mm bolts holing the radio in.
    Carefully remove radio (may have to unplug wires on back).
    Grab the smaller, blue connector on the right side of the DRL box.
    Make the connection to the wires in G and H (should be light green/black and yellow/black wires).
    Button up in reverse order and you're good to go.

Thread Information