Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    1998 Z28

Head scratcher for sure!!!!!

Alright so heres whats going on with my car... i live in pa so its about 20 degs average right now and when i let my car set over night and warm it up the next morning for 15 mins i get on the raod and when i start going around 40 mph the rearend will start to hop.

now before u say wheel weights let me say that the car only does it in the morning when its been sitting all night but normally when i get out from school it stops and i can take it clear pass 50 smooth as glass.

let me also say that some times if i yank my E brake before i start moving in the moring it will go away ( one of my rotors is warped not sure which one)

my thought is that the brakes r freezing into place over night and when i start moving it starts to hop cuz the warped rotor is touching at spots...

please help!!!!!!!!!!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

are your shock(s) freezing up?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

The e brake runs off the inside of the of the rotor.. warping is unlikely there. Mine does it when its really cold. Tires need time to warm up.

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

actually, i live in houston and my car will do it in cold weather if it's been sitting for a while. when you let your car sit overnight in very cold weather, the tires will develop small flat spots. after a little bit of driving, the tires will warm up and naturally go back to their usual form

that's what it could be anyway

red
    1998 Z28

its very strange tho ive owned a third gen that i dont remember ever doing this.

its a pretty bad hop too the faster i go the worse it gets im afriad to go over 45 in the mornings.

and i know its not the rear end going cuz when i jump on thing its solid as a rock with not hop no hesitation nothing just a firm squat and goooo...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Tomorrow morning go out to your car and try to bounce the suspension on all 4 corners. If one or more corners doesn't compress, then you have a frozen shock. Its not too uncommon.

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

if it's what i'm talking about the effect would probably be different between the brands of tires. from your 4th gen to your 3rd gen you probably had different brands and definitely different tire sizes. like i say, it's just a possibility. i know it's not very bad at all on mine but definitely noticeable, and i'm not in the extremely cold temperatures that you are

red
    1998 Z28

thank u guys for all the advice it means alot to me.

and rooster im not saying ur wrong at all ive just never really hear of that so im alittle shocked

and i know all this is cold related cuz it only started to happen when temps up here started reaching 30 to the teens. plus it just feels so solid when i get on the car at low speeds.

i know its not the rearend going either cuz it would just do this at 40 and up it would do it when ever that car moves...this only happens at 40 and up

so anymore ideas would be helpful

red
    1998 Z28

and if the shocks freeze do i need new ones or should i just wait till spring and see if they go back to normal?

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Mine did it bad around 40mph. It was the tires. (I thought it might have been, but didn't think it would vibrate that bad.) I had already checked the shocks and didn't see anything. Posted on here...and someone said tires...it was.

And mine didn't do this in N. Carolina or S. Carolina Or West Viriginia. It did it in Texas when it just got a little cold. The big thing was I went weeks without driving it and it was parked on nice flat concrete. In the other states (less sitting time) it was parked on gravel, sand, and even grass...it never did it. (I think it did it mildy a few times and I thought it was just the road then, because it went away in like a mile...and like I said very mild.)

red
    1998 Z28

wow thats crazy i never would have even thought of that the car sits in such cold temps for sometimes about 16 hours so im guessing thats the problem thanks guys

red
    1998 Z28

also what kinda tires r u guys running i wanna see if thers a pattern here with this

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

mine were doing it fairly bad with the BFG KDW's. forgot exactly what size, 275/xx/17. whatever fits on stock ZR-1's

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Kumho ECSTA V700 305/30R18

Soft!

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Summer speed rated tires state that they are not for cold temps. or winter use. The rubber compound in summer tires cannot deal with cold and they also are like slicks. That may be part of the problem IMO.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Summer speed rated tires state that they are not for cold temps. or winter use. The rubber compound in summer tires cannot deal with cold and they also are like slicks. That may be part of the problem IMO.
    Exactly.

Most of the tires we run on our cars for performance are just that, performance only "summer" tires. They are called summer tires for a reason, they are not designed for cold temperatures or any type of winter driving. The compounds aren't suited to cold weather.

The few times I've driven my car with Nitto 555's in the cold, if you punch it in just about any gear, its like you're ice skating. The tires don't grip, they aren't meant for that. When I used to have my Eagle F1 GS-D3's and they were worn out, I could spin them right through 4th gear without even trying if it was below about 50 degrees.

If you are running summer/performance tires, get a spare set of wheels and tires for the winter that are All Season/M+S rated. Not only will you be able to get places when it snows, but you'll prevent your nice wheels from getting ruined by road salt, and you won't end up destroying your summer/performance tires from driving them in the cold weather. Thats what I did, I found a set of V6 Firebird "salad spinners" on eBay with tires for like $150. Used those the first winter I had the car, then I picked up another car for daily driving/winter

red
    1998 Z28

good advice thanks everyone i never really thought about it like that. well the worst of winter is about over so i think ill wait to get a set more sutable for winter...plus i dont have any money for a set haha

well thanks everyone that really helped alot

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

SSTODD and Westman are dead on.

It was like 52 degrees down here the other day and w/ 2000 rpm pull right turns (probably 45 degree angle entry) on to the street, fishtailing!! The wife was scared shitless! Great timing to, I just took the spare out and about 10 lbs of loose tools out of the rear hatch...didn't help any.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

And one last item to check: I had a head scratcher like this once and it turned out to be a bit of water in the tire. At night in cold weather it would freeze and act like a big weight on the tire until it melted and spread out.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    And one last item to check: I had a head scratcher like this once and it turned out to be a bit of water in the tire. At night in cold weather it would freeze and act like a big weight on the tire until it melted and spread out.
    Yes, I have seen several cases of ice or snow packing into the backside of rims throwing the balance way off on peoples cars and trucks up here.

Thread Information