Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Head light motor

I have a 2001 trans am ws6 ls1. When i turn my lights on they raise up fine. But when I turn them off and they go back down they flip down and make a noise for about 5 seconds. Is this normal or should i get it checked out?

Email me please @ badstang04@msn.com

Thanks

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

You have a stripped gear in one or both of them. Listen to see wich headlight it is then you can fix it for free the first time it happens.

The way the light motor works it only uses one side of a gear so if it strips you can open the lights then take the arm that moves the light up and down off of the motor then use the manual knob on top of the motor to turn it 180 degrees the opposite of what it is then re hook the arm on and your light is fixed. You can search around on google and probably find better instructions with pictures.

By design these motors fail for everyone because the gear is plastic. I have done good keeping mine from breaking by not turning them on while I"m doing 65 down the highway so the motor doesn't have to work against wind pressure and get slammed open also sometimes you turn your lights on when its still daylight and just slam the switch back to off that causes the motor to jerk on the gear. Just let them open THEN turn them off. I have done this gear trick in my 98 forumula on one headlight and stuck with my rules since with no problems. On my grilfriends 96 T/A I replaced the gear with a metal one and it seems to work fine but the metal gear is much heavier than the plastic and seems harder for the motor to turn I think it will eventually burn the motor up but its been fine for the last year.

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Just my 2 cents, but should have bought a camaro, we dont have to worry about that problem. JK hope you get it fixed.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

haha

Quote Originally Posted by FantaZGuy28
    Just my 2 cents, but should have bought a camaro, we dont have to worry about that problem. JK hope you get it fixed.
    Yea I like camaros but also T/As and i found one close to home in great condition and at a decently cheap price.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee
    You have a stripped gear in one or both of them. Listen to see wich headlight it is then you can fix it for free the first time it happens.

The way the light motor works it only uses one side of a gear so if it strips you can open the lights then take the arm that moves the light up and down off of the motor then use the manual knob on top of the motor to turn it 180 degrees the opposite of what it is then re hook the arm on and your light is fixed. You can search around on google and probably find better instructions with pictures.

By design these motors fail for everyone because the gear is plastic. I have done good keeping mine from breaking by not turning them on while I"m doing 65 down the highway so the motor doesn't have to work against wind pressure and get slammed open also sometimes you turn your lights on when its still daylight and just slam the switch back to off that causes the motor to jerk on the gear. Just let them open THEN turn them off. I have done this gear trick in my 98 forumula on one headlight and stuck with my rules since with no problems. On my grilfriends 96 T/A I replaced the gear with a metal one and it seems to work fine but the metal gear is much heavier than the plastic and seems harder for the motor to turn I think it will eventually burn the motor up but its been fine for the last year.

Hey man I really appreciate that Ive been wondering what that is since i bought it. Thanks Keith.

Thread Information