Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Have no Pay Pal experience help!!!

Ok I have an offer on my car and the guy works on an oil rig and wants to buy it for his son that lives in town for his birthday.He wants to use paypal so I activated an account today and I am now in process of lifting the limit for the price of the car.

Now I don't need a scammer to scam me out of my car and you guys were amazing in the past so My thoughts were to get the money transfered to my paypal account and after it is in my own bank or money in hand I would deliver the car.
    Is it how it works or am I safe if the money is in my paypal account ? If they pick up the car and call right then and say I'm not satisfied with the car will the money be transfered back in his account and I loose the money and the car.

I just never did this before and he says he is on an oil rigs At sea in Newfoundland so has no access to his bank to bring me a cheque so does this sound legit?

Thanks and I hope it's ok that I ask this on here :-)

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Sounds fishy. Stay away.
    Paypal is pretty secure and safe, but nothing is 100%. This guy should paypal his son the money so his son can come over and hand you the cash.

rust
    65 Impala SS Convertible

if you wait until the funds clear and you get them to clear into your account, you are fine. if you want, there is a seller protection for an extra couple percent.

I have used paypal for over 20K$ transactions with no problems, other than sellers who misrepresent. Then Paypal made it good.

Black

Ok

Thanks guys I have that gut thing in my stomach......
    As soon as I advertised in the auto trader well the scum started calling emailing etc... First was AMG OR Auto Marketing Group the so call high interest borrower that wants your credit card# and collect $499 when I said no they reffered me to their web site to pay on a https secure site and a great web site check it out. Called BBB and 57 complaints f rating scum and then this.....Is anyone legit anymore if these people would put their effort of scam artist to legitimate goals they would be rich,,, I feel like people are getting ridiculous and it's more and more.

This guy or whatever is saying that it's a birthday gift for his son and an oil rig engineer can pay my car in 2 weeks wages so maybe right but I just emailed back stating when the money is in my bank account not Pay Pal account I'll give you the keys and to protect them since I own the car I will get a contract drawn up by my lawyer who wouldn't charge me anyway to protect him since I had the car.

Now I want to see them skate around that

If they are legit well lawyers contract protecting them and the car and keys would be in the hands of my lawyer until money is clear If it's another scam I am keeping the freaking car if not well it's sold lol Sorry for the venting and long message.....

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Also something to perhaps to consider is the fact that Paypal will relieve you of a sizeable amount for the priviledge of accepting payment for the car through them.... and when i advertised a car a good while ago i put in the listing, a deposit via paypal and the rest in cash on collection! So many pieces of scum out there you HAVE to look after number one!! Cash is indisputable!

If the situation has changed in the intervening years, then ignore this..... but i don't think it has! )

Trev... )

98 Formula
    06 duramax

be very careful doing this.....don't give them anything until the money hits and clears your bank account. Did he state a reason he wanted to use paypal? Is he putting it on a credit card or something?

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Some good advice so far. My question would be does this guy have a wife, girlfriend, mother, father etc.. that he can send the money too and then they can pick up the car from you. I would be very cautious.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If you go through with this, make sure you are using that ACTUAL Paypal website. There are spoof sites out that look and operate nearly identical to the rear Paypal site. If you're using the real Paypal site, then you're pretty safe.

Black

Thank you Thank you

I emailed and told him that I would only give him the car after the funds cleared and the story of the lawyer then asked why he couldn't just transfer the money to the person picking up the car never heard from him again

It just didn't feel right thanks again!!!!!!

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Good for you. Glad you didn't get pulled in.

Thread Information