Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    99 SS

HAHA, car wont start dead as door nail

tried to start the car tonight, not cold at all, opened the door, lights came on put key in tried to turn it over and nothing at all. no click like a dead battery or anything, the other night it barely started, it wants to turn over at like 9 volts, or 10, never at 12.

oh and battery is 10 months old.

think this is the alternater? like i do

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Probably. Get it checked for free at AutoZone...

Battery/connections first...have it load tested. My last one showed 11.9V on my meter but didn't have enough AMPS to turn the car over. Gauge always showed it charging when running.

Black
    99 SS

tomorrow its rainin out there, dont want to fucking spend any more money on this bitch of a car

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    Battery/connections first...have it load tested. My last one showed 11.9V on my meter but didn't have enough AMPS to turn the car over. Gauge always showed it charging when running.
    connections are fine checked those the other day, but about a week ago i took it out of my car and put it in my Chevelle to start it and ever since its acting funny.

i bet that mother fucker anahilated it

I'm on my THIRD battery at 23K. Delcrap just died, no click, no green light - Diehard replacement clicked, load tested "replace." Bought an optima red top.

Black
    99 SS

its an Interstate battery, i want an optima, dont want to pay that much for one

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Your Interstate theft battery should be free replacement being that new-I've been putting Optimas in all my cars -it's big bucks up front but well worth it in the long run. I got a pro discount @ AZ on the last one-no tax and $92 after core!

Black
    99 SS

dont have the reciept for the battery. oh well i got two cores at my house now, and a discount at a local car parts store through my work, so no big deal

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Walmart gave me a hard time about no receipt-there's a receipt taped to the side of the battery giving them the date!They finally gave me a nother one -but I won't go back.Wound up being a key buzzer that didn't buzz running down the battery overnite and ruined it in a month in this old Jeep I had just bought. I have 3 Optimas right now in as many vehicles and 1 Walmart mistake emergency replacement deal in the Jeep.

Black
    99 SS

so just take it to anyone who deals the battery, dont remember where i got it, lol

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

well it's worth a shot-I worked at a Sears Auto and they would take back batteries without a lot of hassle-there is a date code on the battery for them.The Walmart ones have a piece of paper taped to the side with a dated receipt,but they wanted another receipt that I couldn't find.Made me walk back and forth the length of the store twice -that's like a mile hike in this store-one end of the store didn't know what the other was doing! The tech out in the shop didn't care but there was this woman manager that was being a complete a-hole about the whole thing.Like I said I won't go back.But I did get my replacement battery.

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    its an Interstate battery, i want an optima, don't want to pay that much for one
    What's your price Limit?

If you use Ebay here is an option

Here is one on EBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-OPTIMA-RED-TOP-BATTERY-SC75U-35-75-DT-WARRANTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33574QQitemZ80 33537214QQrdZ1

You may need Group 75/35 Optima Height adapter: http://192.132.24.107/UsingOptima/height_WCM.asp

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Price Auto zoner first-I know that by the time you ship that sucker to me it's just as expensive as buying it outright at Autozone.If you didn't have to ship it would be a steal at $87.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

ZBoner-check Costco...they carry them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    tried to start the car tonight, not cold at all, opened the door, lights came on put key in tried to turn it over and nothing at all. no click like a dead battery or anything, the other night it barely started, it wants to turn over at like 9 volts, or 10, never at 12.

oh and battery is 10 months old.

think this is the alternater? like i do
    did you try checking the loose nut behind the wheel?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Battery...alt...both....starter.....pass II messed up

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

jump it off and unhook the batttery to see if it runs. if it won't run without the battery it's the alternator. also, your battery guage serves TWO functions. if you turn the key to the run position without it running it tells you battery charge, and when the car is running it tells you alternator output. If you have good output when it's running but the battery is dead after you shut er down it's the battery.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you unhook the battery while it is running it is possible for the alternator to run out of control and overcharge-which on one of these cars could be a disaster.Better to get it running and have it tested somewhere -a lot of places do this for free.If it was cranking at 9 volts -thats too low-but you needed to have a fully charged and known good battery in the system before you can get any kind of reliable and totally accurate test on the charging + starting systems.You would be better off taking the battery out and have it tested somewhere to start with. If it's still good but low on a charge then you would probably have a bad alternator-or loose connections-or loose serpentine belt.In other words it could be a lot of things-you need to check stuff out-start with the battery and go from there.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you unhook the battery while it is running it is possible for the alternator to run out of control and overcharge-which on one of these cars could be a disaster.Better to get it running and have it tested somewhere -a lot of places do this for free.If it was cranking at 9 volts -thats too low-but you needed to have a fully charged and known good battery in the system before you can get any kind of reliable and totally accurate test on the charging + starting systems.You would be better off taking the battery out and have it tested somewhere to start with. If it's still good but low on a charge then you would probably have a bad alternator-or loose connections-or loose serpentine belt.In other words it could be a lot of things-you need to check stuff out-start with the battery and go from there.

Thread Information