black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

Gut the cats or remove them?

I was going to just take them off but it looks like it would be a pain to weld pipes in place of them. On ny vette I just took them off but it was easy to weld pipes in the location. What would you guys do?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If you know a welder, just have a pipe welded in or if not, just gut them out yourself. IMO, I would just gut em just in case you have to go through inspections or something

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Don't bother wasting the time/money. Just save up for headers...

Silver
    2002 Z28

yea, wait for headers

White
    98 Trans AM

On this note about taking off CATS, I once got pulled over by a DPS officer who was actually very nice and was just doing his job. But he asked why my car was so loud and said usually that means you have no CATS. So he looked and since they were there said have a nice day. Anyway, things to consider if you take them off. You might also look into doing something like the FLP headers where they had a big circle clamp type fitting where you could drop the cats out on race day and put straights in. Slight potential for leaks though.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388 View Post
    On this note about taking off CATS, I once got pulled over by a DPS officer who was actually very nice and was just doing his job. But he asked why my car was so loud and said usually that means you have no CATS. So he looked and since they were there said have a nice day. Anyway, things to consider if you take them off. You might also look into doing something like the FLP headers where they had a big circle clamp type fitting where you could drop the cats out on race day and put straights in. Slight potential for leaks though.
    so it made it loud when you gutted them?

White
    98 Trans AM

It did make it in my opinion slightly louder but I also run my Borla completly open.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I love electric cutouts.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

If you ever need to go back to stock - perhaps to sell - cats are pretty damn expensive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388 View Post
    called BAND CLAMPS----everyone has them i thought.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I dont have the cats on my car either and i dont feet like paying 180 dollars to get on there, so whats the best thing i can do and save money??

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by mvvette97 View Post
    so it made it loud when you gutted them?

Hell yea it did, I have stock headers, gutted cats, custom Y pipe, and Loudmouth. Everybody says it sounds like a F16 when I have it at WOT. People cant use their cell phones because you cant hear anyting in the car with the windows up or down

IMO just get them gutted so if cops pull you over you can say its your muffler because the cat shells will still be there.

black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by FantaZGuy28 View Post
    Hell yea it did, I have stock headers, gutted cats, custom Y pipe, and Loudmouth. Everybody says it sounds like a F16 when I have it at WOT. People cant use their cell phones because you cant hear anyting in the car with the windows up or down

IMO just get them gutted so if cops pull you over you can say its your muffler because the cat shells will still be there.
    Well I got it done. I was going to just take them off but all of the flange bolts were siezed so I just gutted them. It's not very loud yet because I have the flowmaster on but that will change. Did you guys notice it seems to smoke some at WOT? Is it because of the gutted cats or what?

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by mvvette97 View Post
    Well I got it done. I was going to just take them off but all of the flange bolts were siezed so I just gutted them. It's not very loud yet because I have the flowmaster on but that will change. Did you guys notice it seems to smoke some at WOT? Is it because of the gutted cats or what?
    Haha, the smoke at WOT is well...wow! I look in the rear view mirror and there is a huge cloud of smoke. Then again my car is running really rich.

Thread Information