Thread: Gtp

Red_Dragon

Gtp

I'm going to be rebuilding the trans in a 00 grand prix gtp and also putting a cam in with full exhaust. For the cam i know you need to drop one side of the engine to slide it out, so would it be easier to drop the whole engine and trans together? or would it be easier to drop the trans put it back in then do the cam? Also if I do the engine/trans together does it come out easier form the top or bottom? thanx for any help

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dragon
    I'm going to be rebuilding the trans in a 00 grand prix gtp and also putting a cam in with full exhaust. For the cam i know you need to drop one side of the engine to slide it out, so would it be easier to drop the whole engine and trans together? or would it be easier to drop the trans put it back in then do the cam? Also if I do the engine/trans together does it come out easier form the top or bottom? thanx for any help
    IMO it should be easier to drop the whole thing along with the k member and front suspension. if you got a lift and a tranny jack its easiest. i see it done all the time at the dealership. it comes out just like an LS1 F-body engine and k member.

Red_Dragon
    Thats what i was kind of thinking too I mean what, I have to disconnect a few more wires. I dont have a lift or a tranny jack ill be working with regular jacks and a homemade cherry picker.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dragon
    Thats what i was kind of thinking too I mean what, I have to disconnect a few more wires. I dont have a lift or a tranny jack ill be working with regular jacks and a homemade cherry picker.
    what i would do in your sitiuation is jack the car up as far as you can under the crossmember, then put jackstands under the frame of the car. not the k member. then drop the engine/tranny/suspension/k member and roll it out from under the body. do your work then put the jack back under it and jack it up back in. leave the wheels on it so you can roll it around.

Red_Dragon
    I was thinking maybe a lil more like this disconnect everything with it jacked up just a lil bit and attached to the cherry picker then jacking the car up off the motor and trans. because the home made cherry picker is pretty much a rachet setup I need something under the motor to lower it.

that will work to. but you got the general idea down, the whole deal comes out from the bottom the easiest. especially on a FWD car. good luck!

Thread Information