blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Question grinding noise...maybe?

Not quite sure what it is. Kinda like a grinding as the car comes to a stop. Not sure, but it seems like as the tranny shifts into first. Im wandering if it is the rearend. We just installed the rebuilt motor and had the tranny done at the same time. The guy who built the tranny knows what hes doing. What do I need to look for when I open the rear diff?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well first off is the grinding coming from the rear of the car? a specific side? could be brakes, a ball bearing, etc. if you take the diff cover off, you lookign for missing teeth, large gouges, or lines in the gears, also, large metal splinters in the fluid and on the magnet on the diff. cover. I would think that if it was your diff yu would hear it all the time. make sure you are sure its the diff b/f u go wasting fluid and a gasket.

White
    1999 Trans Am 30th conv

I have the same problem. I would love to know what it is. Almost sounds like the tires are chirping when it shifts out of first and when it shifts back. Sometimes it is louder than other times. I asked a mechanic from the Pontiac dealer where I got the car. He said without actually seeing it or hearing it that it sounds like it might be the bearings. I reminded him that he replaced them 6 months ago. He also said that these cars are famous for having noisy rears. I don't like it so I would like to know if anybody else has had this problem and had it fixed?

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

my gasket is leaking anyway. So thats just another reason to open it up and have a look

Black
    98 T/A

If I were to actually hear grinding instead of feel it, I would say it is an open rotational issue such as a brake or a driveshaft rubbing on something. Usually with rear ends, you would feel AND hear.

Since the trans was just replaced and motor rebuilt, I would check for any rubbing of the driveshaft first, then go from there. If the problem did not exist prior to, I would be looking at the driveline and not the brakes or rear end.

If it is a bad brake pad grinding on the rotor, you would not necessarily feel or hear it at high speeds, but may feel and hear it as you came up to a stop. High speed rotation and frequency of the rubbing is high and barely noticable. When you slow down the frequency of the grinding will be more pronounced.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

I can feel it some too. Going to get under it today to try to find something.

Thread Information