Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Got my tune done

Went down to NE Dyno last night and got my tune done. Well worth the drive.

Final numbers were SAE Corrected 325hp and 333 lb-ft trq

Not bad for just a few mods.

The guy that did my tune had a 2000 TA with an F1 that put down almost 800 hp and it's his daily driver. The guy is a genius when it comes to tuning.
    2000 Formula, All the bolts ons, Kooks, Quick Performance 9" 3.70, QA1, Spohn rear.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Re: Tune

What all do you have done to the car? What differences could you tell following the tune?

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mrsracing View Post
    What all do you have done to the car? What differences could you tell following the tune?
    I think his mods r in his signiture

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by driftpin View Post
    Went down to NE Dyno last night and got my tune done. Well worth the drive.

Final numbers were SAE Corrected 325hp and 333 lb-ft trq

Not bad for just a few mods.

The guy that did my tune had a 2000 TA with an F1 that put down almost 800 hp and it's his daily driver. The guy is a genius when it comes to tuning.
    Do you have a engine bay pic you could post up? I would love to see your Volant!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

2002 WS6 TranAm

Is that 325 at the rear wheel? I see the mods which are very similiar to what I'm wanting to do. I hear on this board a good bit that these mod's with a tune should put you around 350 however I don't know if that's at the motor or the wheels and honestly don't know the difference between the two.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Is that 325 at the rear wheel? I see the mods which are very similiar to what I'm wanting to do. I hear on this board a good bit that these mod's with a tune should put you around 350 however I don't know if that's at the motor or the wheels and honestly don't know the difference between the two.
    Well if you put down 350 hp at the crank you can expect to lose at the very least 10% from your transmission, more if you have an automatic.

I'll put the picture up later today of the Volant, I've been busy.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by driftpin View Post
    Well if you put down 350 hp at the crank you can expect to lose at the very least 10% from your transmission, more if you have an automatic.

I'll put the picture up later today of the Volant, I've been busy.
    Uncorrected Im putting out 341hp

black
    02 vette vert

Smile

at the crank is the power an engine makes all by itself, on the workbench so to speak. after its in the car it has to drive the transmission, driveshaft and the rear end gears, with all the u-joints, bearings, etc that go along, all of which cause resistance and use power. the rear wheel hp is whats left to push the car. not trying to step on you driftpin, but i thought a first base description might have been appropriate here.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

2002 WS6 TranAm

Makes perfect sense! Is a difference of 10% motor to rwhp about right or is there more to it than that? I should probably post this in a different post as to not rob your post.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Makes perfect sense! Is a difference of 10% motor to rwhp about right or is there more to it than that? ....

much much more to it than that. Inertia dyno's are affected by rotating mass differences such as drive shafts, trans internals, converters/clutches, rears, wheels, etc, as well as trans type, and if it's an automatic, converter slip which varies by unit, and more.

It would be nice if it worked out as simple as some %.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

As Frost states, not so simple. But one prominent point to consider. MOI: Moment of Inertia - measure of a body's resistance to a change in its angular rotation velocity.

The static mass your spinning (Gears, shafts, etc.) matters...how much this stuff weighs. The configuration of the mass matter too...the more weight you have further away from the axis increases this effect. So if you had a 4" diameter gear and a 6" that was thinner, both weighing the same, and they were the same form other than that, the 6" has a higher MOI and requires more energy (HP) to spin.
    [Everyone has seen this effect, if you have a lug torqued to 80 ft-lbs...if you put a 1-foot long wrench on it and tied 80 lbs exactly at the 1 foot pt it will break the lug free. If the wrench was 2-feet long then you can tie 40 lbs to it to do the job. So the mass portion of MOI is the same thing from the other side, the wench was applying torque if a shaft is putting out torque, it would take the same torque to spin a 1ft & 80lb weight as it would a 2ft & 40lb weight.]

The the biggy, rate of change in RPM, accelerating RPMs, consumes more energy, the faster the rate of increase, the more it consumes. Conversely, if the rate slows it inputs energy back into the system.
    [This angular form is comparable to a linear action. You can push a broken down Ford faster than your girl friend or wife can push it Yeah you got to have enough muscle to get it going...but also the more you have the faster you can push it. And you have felt it, it takes a lot more ass to get it going from 0 to 5mph than to maintain it at 5mph.]

In a car's drive...think of how many things this effects. And think of how many differences there are in a drive line.

black
    02 vette vert

whew! took that laymans terms explanation and turned it into a physics class didnt ya?

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    Do you have a engine bay pic you could post up? I would love to see your Volant!

Finally got some pics off my card. I've been trying to get everything finished on the car to get it to the track. I can't say I'm impressed with the Volant fit. I may just sell it and go to a SLP lid, they are much cleaner looking.

Thread Information