Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 Trans Am

Good to change or not?

Well here is my question, I live in the middle of the Mohave desert, and during the summer it gets incredibly hot here. So my oil pressure reads really low, i believe because of the extreme heat. I currently run 10w40 penzoil in my car. Since I had the ls6 intake installed and a new oil pressure sending unit. the pressure reads higher!!! it has 100,000+ so what do you suggest I use for oil in my car? Do you suggest synthetic? If so what kind? What weight and what filter? And how do I convert to synthetic if I should? And is it bad to switch from conventional to synthetic? Thanks for your help ahead of time!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

green
    98 formula

let the opinions begin to change just change the oil like normal I use mobil 1 in all my gas vehicles I believe it is better and the viscosity I would go by the book the ls1 has a more coplex oiling system than the older engines and too heavy of oil could cause problems but that is my opinion and everyone will say something different good luck sorting it out

black trans am

ok it seems like u oil sending unit was bad... ur car only needs 4.5 lbs of oil pressure ... when u go from conventional to synthetic u might start to leak oil its known to do that.... if u was u i would use 5w20 moble one high mi 10w 40 is not good for ur car sorry to say ... its to thick and will not lube the eng. i have seen newer cars that take 5w0 and ppl have put 10w40 in ther car and they blow up... fucking toyotas... any ways ur probly wont blpow it up but u might get a knock or a tap .. if u notice one change ur oil asap

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Use Mobil 1 syn 5-30 in mine...
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Moved to appropriate forum.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sarge is gonna have a fit when he gets here.

4.5 lbs?? that's a new one on me. I believe the manual states 20-80psi. The average is probably closer to 40 at idle and 60 under load.

2000 Trans Am

so you think I should change back from 10w40 to the stock 5w30 will it hurt anything switching back over? also is there any kind of an additive i can use to clean the gunk out in my oil. i remember one time i used something i put in before an oil change then started the car and let it run 15 minutes, and then changed the oil. anyone heard anything like that?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wait until Sarge catches this thread in the morning. That guy drinks oil and craps filters. He knows his stuff when it comes to oil so I'd rather you got advice from him. I have a good idea I know what he's gonna say but I'll let him say it.

2000 Trans Am

ok if you say so i will wait!!!

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    so you think I should change back from 10w40 to the stock 5w30 will it hurt anything switching back over? also is there any kind of an additive i can use to clean the gunk out in my oil. i remember one time i used something i put in before an oil change then started the car and let it run 15 minutes, and then changed the oil. anyone heard anything like that?
    switching wont hurt and the cleaner is kinda like diesel fuel it will loosen gunk but its not good on the engine as it washes everything if your ls1 has gunk in it be ready to rebuild also someone here said mobil 1 would leak mine have not leaked

2000 Trans Am

Still need opinions guys, the weekend is fast approaching and that is when I want to change my oil. Opinions on best filters and oil would help please.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I believe that Pennzoil Platinum was the general consensus from all the arguments raging here over the past year or so. Best buy for the buck. Mobil 1 is a great oil-just over priced for what it is (again I am quoting other threads here).
    I recently changed over to Pennzoil Platinum myself, and I would recommend staying with the 5W30 but honestly you probably won't get any problems going with 10W40 if you think it's best. I live in a climate with a much more variable climate so I wouldn't have any experience with that kind of constant heat- however isn't it true you have much cooler temps at night?
    The K+N filter is supposed to be an excellent but expensive filter for example.
    Sounds to me like you thought you had a low pressure problem because of a faulty sending unit-not because of an actual problem.
    As far as what kinds of oil pressure you should have- mine varies between 40-60 lbs. depending on engine temp and rpm.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    I believe that Pennzoil Platinum was the general consensus from all the arguments raging here over the past year or so. Best buy for the buck. Mobil 1 is a great oil-just over priced for what it is (again I am quoting other threads here).
    I recently changed over to Pennzoil Platinum myself, and I would recommend staying with the 5W30 but honestly you probably won't get any problems going with 10W40 if you think it's best. I live in a climate with a much more variable climate so I wouldn't have any experience with that kind of constant heat- however isn't it true you have much cooler temps at night?
    The K+N filter is supposed to be an excellent but expensive filter for example.
    Sounds to me like you thought you had a low pressure problem because of a faulty sending unit-not because of an actual problem.
    As far as what kinds of oil pressure you should have- mine varies between 40-60 lbs. depending on engine temp and rpm.
    Yes it does get much cooler here during the night in winter. but during the summer time it is much warmer even at night. Also it may just have been a bad sending unit. any other suggestions.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Blackbirdbrain is nuts. Mobil 1 5W20 is too thin. If I were to use any M1 it would be a 40 weight. Pennzoil Platinum works well, use 5/10 W30. I use the German made Castrol Syntec 0W30 but that's kinda hard to find. There are lots of other boutique synthetics (Amsoil, Redline) that are great but exspensive and hard to find as well.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Here's the answer in a nutshell.....This comes from our resident "Oil Guru"

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...6&postcount=84

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Here's the answer in a nutshell.....This comes from our resident "Oil Guru"

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...6&postcount=84
    Well that just about sums it up.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Blackbirdbrain is nuts. Mobil 1 5W20 is too thin. If I were to use any M1 it would be a 40 weight. Pennzoil Platinum works well, use 5/10 W30. I use the German made Castrol Syntec 0W30 but that's kinda hard to find. There are lots of other boutique synthetics (Amsoil, Redline) that are great but exspensive and hard to find as well.
    Is pennzoil platinum a synthetic? Also Would anyone recommend a so called "high mileage" oil for my car with 100,000 miles plus, or is that just a waste of money? And if you do recommend it what kind?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Pennzoil Platinum is a synthetic.
    The high mileage oils could cure some of the problems you may be experiencing, I'd say give it a try and see. Last time I looked though-I seem to remember those being more expensive than synthetics.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Is pennzoil platinum a synthetic? Also Would anyone recommend a so called "high mileage" oil for my car with 100,000 miles plus, or is that just a waste of money? And if you do recommend it what kind?
    Pennzoil Platinum is as much a synthetic as Mobil 1 is these days. A highly refined group III oil base with synthetic additives. True group IV and group V synthetics would include Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, German Castrol, to name a few. Most "synthetic" oils availible at local parts stores really aren't.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Here's where it all begins.........

Thread Information