Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good Boy

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Good Boy

How many of you maintain your car?

I have people bring me their rides just totally trashed. Ask I help them "fix it". They change oil and filter religiously and nothing else.

My question here is simple....
    Do you change Brake Fluid? Coolant? Power Steering Fluid? Rear End Fluid? Trannie Fluid? Clean your Throttle Body? Your Air Filter?
    Do you have your front end aligned annualy? Inspect and clean your brakes/assembly? Change spark plugs every 30K?

Do you open the hood and just inspect everything? Do you keep your engine bay clean?

Do you really maintain your ride?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

All of the above... yes, yes, and hell yes!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Guy brought me his 2008 Avalanche Boy she was pretty....all waxed and tire shine. He was so proud to tell me he used nothing but RoyalPurple oil. Thing would hardly idle at all. Surged and sputtered pulling away from a stop light. I popped the hood and the thing was a shithole nest. I pulled the air intake and his throttle body was black. His MAF screen was full of "crap".....I took his TB off and cleaned the crap out of it and cleaned his MAF. Idled like a champ....and everything smoothed out. He had the original fluid in the trannie/rear end/brake fluid et al. I chewed his ass. Proactive guys...you must be proactive not reactive with your cars man.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 12-18-2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: removed political stuff

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Some people should simply not be allowed to own a vehicle. It is a responsibility, not a God given right.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

I have people bring me their rides just totally trashed. Ask I help them "fix it". They change oil and filter religiously and nothing else.

Do you change Brake Fluid? Coolant? Power Steering Fluid? Rear End Fluid? Trannie Fluid? Clean your Throttle Body? Your Air Filter?
    Do you have your front end aligned annualy? Inspect and clean your brakes/assembly? Change spark plugs every 30K?

Do you open the hood and just inspect everything? Do you keep your engine bay clean?

Even if I don't have time to do it I have a shop do it. I am fanatical about keeping things up on mine and my wife's cars. We just bought hers from a mechanic nothing less. It made me sick to see that at 70K he had never changed the Diff fluid, brake fluid, or had the transmission serviced. Original spark plugs still!!! (04 GTO A4.) All of the fluids were really dark black and had shit all in them. I wouldnt have bought the car but we got a really good deal on it. I just changed all of the fluids and belts plus the tensioner pulleys and now she runs great.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

oil and filter, yes...every 3k

rear end and trans...yes

coolant....yes

TB and filter....yes

alignment, only when I feel it needs it

id like to say yes on plugs....but ive never owned a car for 30k miles, lol

also, id like to say yes on changing brake fluid, but again, never owned a car long enough to jack with brakes.

I'd say im no where near being fully in spec, but im better than most.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

the week i got my car i changed every single fluid and filter. everything from trans, rear end, oil, antifreeze etc.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

All my 01 Camaro is, is just a little 231ci l36.. But I still take care of every inch of it..
    Only thing that I have wrong underneath is a not very cosmetic drive shaft who cares.
    Runs better than the day I bought it and I've been inside the top end too..

Simple loaded y87 in near show room shape (it's 9 years old and we drive it lol) top to bottom..
    Though I have no need to change brake fluid, this is project year for her all that shit and everything associated with it will get tossed anyways..
    All other fuilds get changed on a reg. basis, based some what on the manual..
    This includes scheduled trans flush..

But I do sometimes do things sooner than later.. No K&N cheese cloth, nor Royal pimp.. CrC every month or so the MAF.
    I'm fly by wire so the TB CANNOT be allowed to become filthy.

High octane always, new pump about 1.5 years ago now after it shit the bed, stopped using "Sunoco" gas after finding a shit ton of metal shavings in the fuel filter which was about 4 months old..

Rear ALt bearing sqweaked but the Alt worked fine.. Replaced it any ways with a "new" alt no remanned hoe chee min shit either, nor nocho LeBre..

Coolant system flushed yearly after a dexcool sludging issue @ 29k. Damage done, discovered after a coil pack died. Replaced them all..
    Top end refreash upon discovery of rotted LM gaskets..

Then body, grease brake pins, new rotors every year (stock stuff is cheap if you're only buying it once a year with new pads..

All body panels within 3-5mm of eachother.. Zero imact exterior damage.. Cloth interior with normal wear but no damages or tearing..

The car is in worse shape than my 18 year old Gen-I z34 LQ1 project..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-18-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I do my oil and oil filter every 5k
    tranny fluid every 40k
    Rear end every 50k
    coolant every 100k( i just drain it, do i need to flush it?)
    brake fluid and PS never been done. i didn't know we needed to replace those
    Fuel filter every 7k
    plugs and wires every 50k (iridiums)
    TB and MAF every 5k
    alignment when needed
    I keep my engine bay pretty decent. I wash it once a month.

how i do the PS and brake fluid? and Why do these need to be replaced?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The service manual recommends AGAINST using a chemical flushing agent in our cooling systems. I flush mine with water and always drop the block drains in order to get as much of the old coolant out as possible. I have never utilized a "power flush" or whatever it is called.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The service manual recommends AGAINST using a chemical flushing agent in our cooling systems. I flush mine with water and always drop the block drains in order to get as much of the old coolant out as possible. I have never utilized a "power flush" or whatever it is called.
    No chemical flushes here nor dexcool either..

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I maintain both the t/a and m/c very well,but I don't change the spark plugs every 30k,waste of money,the stock denso irdium plugs that came in the t/a were fine at 178k no skipping or drop in fuel mileage,only reason I changed them was they had to come out for the headers to be installed,the stock plugs in the m/c have 108,xxx on them and the fuel mileage has not changed since I bought it (had 8k miles).what gets me is that most people don't even know they have a fuel filter much less change it.I was looking at a car in gmhtp mag that they were doing some suspension mods to,and it had a rusty azz fuel filter on it!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by 02transamce; 12-18-2010 at 03:48 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    I maintain both the t/a and m/c very well,but I don't change the spark plugs every 30k,waste of money,the stock denso irdium plugs that came in the t/a were fine at 178k no skipping for drop in fuel mileage,the stock plugs in the m/c have 108,xxx on them and the fuel mileage has not changed since I bought it (had 8k miles).what gets me is that most people don't even know they have a fuel filter much less change it.I was looking at a car in gmhtp mag that they were doing some suspension mods to,and it had a rusty azz fuel filter on it!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yeah I run Iridiums too.. Replaced @ ~87k last year when I had the topend apart..

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Do you know what plugs gm put into the L67?
    Posted via Mobile Device

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Do you know what plugs gm put into the L67?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I believe Denso iridiums..iirc But Delco equivalant are fine..

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I was very surprised when I pulled Denso iridiums out of the ceta,I was sure there was going to be some AC plugs in my LS1
    Posted via Mobile Device

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

I was very surprised when I pulled Denso iridiums out of the ceta,I was sure there was going to be some AC plugs in my LS1
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Don't know about the lsx plugs, but I run delco iridium # 41-101. Good results..

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I went with NGK tr55,doing fine since mar 09.
    Posted via Mobile Device

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Changing brake fluid tomorrow. Gonna b cheating w a mity vac. I hope.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

When I was in st louis when I went to get my oil changed I had them change my tranny fluid and diff fluid at around 85k, I need to get my brake fluid changed now and also get a new master cylinder. But I think in a few weeks tires new window motor(driver side) tick master cylinder and clutch and flush the radiator and a new air filter is in due.

Thread Information