Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Going to buy new rotors, are auto zone's good enough ?

I think I read that Ed has them on his camaro. Is their much difference in the cheap and high dollar ones ? Also I am not interested in the slotted ones. AZ has them for $22 and $ 32

BLACK
    2002, CAMARO Z28

My experience with them is there not any better than stock Gm rotors. Meaning warping after 3k miles for me. I finally got some Powerslots and they have been warped free for over 30k miles.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I would never put any of those cheapo chinese made rotors on my T/A. I work for Advance, and our "Wearever" brand of rotors are the same thing as the cheap ones Autozone sells. And yes, they are in fact made in China.

They are fine for everyday drivers and econo cars, but as soon as you put any heat to them they warp like crazy. I have guys coming in all the time with F-Super Dutys trying to get them "warranteed" because they warped in a few months. Sorry, they aren't meant for heavy duty use and therefore aren't warranteed for such use, they are cheap and you get what you pay for.

Check out some of our sponsors, they sell high performance rotors (vented, not necessarily slotted/drilled) in sets of 4 for very reasonable prices.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i got mine at the ws6store site.....been very happy with them.....i got ceramic pads at autozone......still no brake dust after 6 months

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I work for Advance, and our "Wearever" brand of rotors are the same thing as the cheap ones Autozone sells. And yes, they are in fact made in China.

They are fine for everyday drivers and econo cars, but as soon as you put any heat to them they warp like crazy. I have guys coming in all the time with F-Super Dutys trying to get them "warranteed" because they warped in a few months. Sorry, they aren't meant for heavy duty use and therefore aren't warranteed for such use, they are cheap and you get what you pay for.

Check out some of our sponsors, they sell high performance rotors (vented, not necessarily slotted/drilled) in sets of 4 for very reasonable prices.

I work for Advance as well, and I see the same problems, However it is not because the rotors are shitty, it is because the manufacturer used a shitty design on the vehicle. Ford F-250's, taurus', and the Jeep's with the Teves style calipers are some to name a few that use a piece of crap caliper design.

If you look into cars that seem to warp rotors you will find that there is either already a recall out on the car, or that there is a class action lawsuit in the works to make the manufacturer recall the product.

The difference between the prices is the name and the way it was machined. The cheap rotors will be fine if you are not looking to do a high performance upgrade or anything. They have to be made to a certain industry spec to pass DOT.

Dont skimp out on the pads though, get the national brand or a performance brand and you will be much happier. I like Friction Master Ceramics or Bendix, they both work great.

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

You guys should check out tirerack.com for rotors.
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

Eh, you get what you pay for. If you go with the VatoZone rotors, like I do. You will replace them every 30k or so. There is no point to try to machine them, they are cheap crap < Yet they work.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Slotted FTW!!!!!!!!!

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I will say that I have not looked up the cost of Fbody rotors. I know with my Jeep they cost a grand total of 20 bucks each so I usually replaced them about every time I did my brakes, or at least every other time. Mud does nasty stuff to brake rotors, and large tires arn't that great on them either

NBM
    98 trans am

if i get break dust after like 3 or 4 days.. is that bad

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

if you are using good pads you should not get much dust. If you bought the 20 dollar cheepies then you WILL get dust

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    if you are using good pads you should not get much dust. If you bought the 20 dollar cheepies then you WILL get dust
    I guess it depends on your definition of "good pads." Race pads and aggressive street pads dust more than original equipment-type pads. By the way, good race pads like PFC 01s cost about $300 for a set of front pads.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I highly reccommend Hawk Pads, a lot of guys run them and have great luck with them. They stop very well, have long wear life, and don't create excessive dust.

WS6 Store sells the front and back as a package deal for $129.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...3085a90231ec39

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

I just replaced front rotors 'cause mine were warped... The garage i deal with suggested wagner and they are working great so far.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

yea, I agree about the race pads. By good I assumed that he would get them at the parts store, where they come in 3 or 4 qualities. The cheap ones are wearever silvers and the dust like crazy for most cars. The pad formula is not application specific on those pads so it only works well for a couple of cars.

I am debating about ordering hawks when it comes time for new pads, I have always had good luck and seen good results with friction master ceramic though.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    if i get break dust after like 3 or 4 days.. is that bad
    with the ceramic pads its been 6 months..........probly more and NO dust

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

44,000 miles on my stock rotors, no warping. Use a torque wrench on the lugs. I bought the cheapest ceramic pads Pep Boys had, no dust at all.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I bought the lifetime warranty duralast pads at autozone very little dust and work fine ...all 4 wheels for under $60

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I got GM/Delco pads for $50 for the front. OEM has always worked best for me.
    Rotors...when I need them I will probably go OEM as well.

Not a fan of drilled as they crack.
    Not a fan of slotted as they lower the contact area of the pads.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

beware of the lifetime warrenty on pads. I realize that it says lifetime. But tht is usually for breakage not for wear. All of the pads we sell are "lifetime". The only ones we will replace are the Bendix and that is only one time.

Thread Information