Junior Member Acceleration Junky's Avatar

sunset metallic orange
    2002 Z28

Gibbs XP racing oil, Moroso oil filters

I got a recommendation from an engine builder to use Gibbs XP series racing oil with a moroso oil filter. Does anybody use either of these for an LS1? They strongly recommended that I discard my Ac Delco oil filters too. They said they've seen too many explode on thier dyno. The engine builder is a VERY reliable source and has an excellent reputation but I want to hear the LS1 guys opinions. ESPECIALLY SARGE (no offense to anybody else). Thanks for any opinions.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I do not believe them about the AC Delco. Dont care how reputable the engine builder is...that is total bullshit. I know damn good butchers....but they dont know shit about raising cattle....same thing with "engine builders".....Dont know shit about tribology......Gibbs racing oil is a high end oil in the same company as Amsoil/Red Line/Schaffers but returns middle of the pack wear results. Go with Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 and a AC Delco for two oil change intervals....then the Gibbs/Moroso set up for two oil change intervals. Send a sample for an analysis of the 2nd run of each and you tell me if the Gibbs/Moroso beats the PP/AC Delco setup.....and the PP/Delco is a fraction of the cost.PP/Deloc will beat Gibbs/Moroso and give you lower wear metal results. Tell your builder to double check the filters types and insure he is getting the proper flow/burst ratings for the engine versus just a filter spec'd for a stock LSX engine......

Junior Member Acceleration Junky's Avatar

sunset metallic orange
    2002 Z28

That MOFO almost got me. I figured since Shafiroff racing knows more than I do about engines, that maybe there was some truth to thier opinion. Thanks for re-assuring me that I can use the Ac Delco filters with confidence. Another question, on the back of the Gibbs motor oil, it states that it is not street legal. How can motor oil not be street legal?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Easy....it ( Joe Gibbs Racing Oil) has high ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate = Zinc and Phosphorus) which has been known to clog catalytic converters. So the oil companies got rid of ZDDP and replaced it with catalytic friendly friction modifiers that have no ZDDP. The solid lifter guys (not hydraulic lifter crowd) have had failures due no ZDDP and most are running either non street legal oil or diesel oil like Rotella for their ZDDP fix.

Thread Information