Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Getting an LS1, need help!

OK guys so ever since my dad had his 00 WS6 ive been in love with these cars and have dreamed of owning one. Well i found one and am most likely going to pick it up this weekend and i have a few questions.

The car has 40k on it with a 3800stall, 3.73s, stage 3 racing tranny, and a full exhaust. Its not a WS6 but it is a clone..

My first question is, are there any known flaws with the car or any engines problems that i should worry about in general. Im not worried about interior or anything, i know the inside is kinda cheap but i mainly wanna know what to expect engine wise. its been well taken care of and never been to the track. Is there anything i should expect to break soon?

Other is what should i expect to run in the 1/4mile, im just curious.

The best part is that right now i have 98 mustang gt and i absolutely love this car, it looks amazing and people love it. I was never a Ford guy but i do love the car(although i will always be a GM guy). The guy is willing to do a straight up trade with no cash involved i give him the stang and he gives me the trans am.. What a deal!

Any and all info about the car will be greatly appreciated!

I'd be concerned why anyone would trade a low mile LS1 car straight up for a 98 gt. Is there something special about your Mustang? A TA or formula is worth a lot more $$$ then a 98gt.

If it hooks I would think it would be in the mid-high 12 range.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

yeah that was my first reaction. Hes been building mustangs his whole life and bought this car about 9 years ago to build up. He started with bolt ons and then bought a blown ls1 to take it apart and learn about the motor. Once he got into it he decided its way more complicated than what he is used too. I also asked why he doesnt want more for it and he said that if he priced it higher he will sit on it forever. If he priced it low the car would move out and he could get a car/money to put towards building his stangs.

And my Stang has about 80k on the body but a brand new motor and tranny(not rebuilt) from Ford with about 2k miles on the whole thing and a full warranty until next september. It also has very rare factory decals. But i just cant be seen in a mustang, they arent me. GM is all me.
    Last edited by Ryans99LS1; 09-10-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: more info

Is this a 98 ta? I wouldn't worry about too many issues with the car it's an automatic so you don't have to worry about the hydraulic issues the M6s have and these motors are very strong. The weak link is the rear end. Run it hard and it's just a matter or time before the 10 bolt goes. Mine has been holding up great even with the 4.10s but I know it's just a matter of time before I need to upgrade to 12bolt, 9in or S60.

If the car checks out I'd pull the trigger on it. I'm with you while I like mustangs and have owned a couple i'm a GM guy.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Yeah it seems like a deal i cant pass up. I never liked ford but i gained a lot of respect for mustangs after owning one. I do like the car a lot and will probably own one again, for a DD when the Trans Am is parked hahaha

NBM
    1998Z28

I find it hard to believe that a car setup like the one your talking about has never been to a drag strip. I mean Stage 3 tranny/3:73s and a 3800 stall to boot? It doesn't sound like something your Grandma's been driving around now does it. You only put a 3800 stall in for 1 reason. You better have your mechanic check it out for you.
    Last edited by PFM; 09-10-2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

2000 SS

Go For it

Expect a low 13 in the 1/4. With some Practise and some Drag Radials you should be able to get in the 12's

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would also question the "deal". Just have the car checked out by a mechanic. Seems like a very good deal if the guy is being straight with you. You don't really say what year the T/A is but 98's didn't flow oil as well as the other years. Not really much to be concerned with unless it's had 6700 rpm shift points for the last 4 years.
    Big stall and gears should be enough to get you well into the 12's just like it sits with traction.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Well he said he put the stall on there because he was going to build it up as a street car but then just lost interest in it because of his mustang passion. The tranny went in because the stock blew once the gears went in. Now that alone tells me he was having all his fun on the street and just acting like it was the track.. So i can belive that part.

Oh yeah and its a 99

But thanks again for all your input guys!
    Last edited by Ryans99LS1; 09-11-2007 at 11:06 AM. Reason: More Info

white
    2002 z28

personally i would never buy a modded sports car let alone a ls1 besides bolt ons. its oviouis tht this guys knows what he doing ( mechainic wise) and sure this is a great deal since its half the mils of your car and a better car, but still you have to understand that the car has difinetnly been raced, just saying that casue even stock ls1s are ragged on but when your throwing parts that he has on its for sure. and one other thing most people who build cars and race only sell there cars casue they know something going on it.

buy stock mod to your speed and budget, then get some knolwedge of building a car

Thread Information